Driver caught on camera reversing towards group of Perth cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's Oz, innit, where cyclists are less popular than a Rolf Harris impersonator at a kids party.

Seevio

Guru
Can't tell for sure from the video but it looks like the driver missed his turning and had an attack of crappy driving rather than road rage.

Hanlon's razor and all that...

dodgy

You hardly ever hear an Australian cycling news story that has positive spin, yes you can probably find one, but usually it's state sanctioned animosity towards anyone not in a car. I thought better of Australia at one time, they were crazy into sport and the outdoors, seems like they've fast forwarded straight to being like America, but worse. At least some parts of the US are trying to make improvements.

There is obviously more to that story than meets the eye. But the driver must be nuts.
I would like to know what possible preceding action would mitigated the driver's behaviour in the least.

(personally, I find drivers in Australia less of a menace on average, than London drivers)

sidevalve

Über Member
Once again what do we ACTUALLY see here. As Seevio says the car passes then stops then reverses back to a point where it can drive into a side road. It actually reaches one cyclist and would soon have reached the other if the idea was to hit them. It was crap stupid dangerous driving but a deliberate attack - only in the 'Oh everybody's picking on me 'cos I'm a cyclist' brigades dreams [and in the vid posters dreams who gets loads of hits of course]. Just fantasy.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Once again what do we ACTUALLY see here. As Seevio says the car passes then stops then reverses back to a point where it can drive into a side road. It actually reaches one cyclist and would soon have reached the other if the idea was to hit them. It was crap stupid dangerous driving but a deliberate attack - only in the 'Oh everybody's picking on me 'cos I'm a cyclist' brigades dreams [and in the vid posters dreams who gets loads of hits of course]. Just fantasy.
Whos said the driver was trying to hit them? I dont think I would call them paranoid to think the driver was trying to scare them, Australia hasnt exactly got he reputation of being cycle friendly.

I don't see how intentions make a difference here. A driver reverses at speed into a group of cyclist s/he has just passed. Whether s/he was trying to hit them, didn't give a fark or hadn't even seen them, it's still dangerously crap driving that put their lives in real danger.

If you watch the slightly longer video on facebook, the driver eventually leaves the sideroad and returns in the direction he was originally heading.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I don't see how intentions make a difference here. A driver reverses at speed into a group of cyclist s/he has just passed. Whether s/he was trying to hit them, didn't give a fark or hadn't even seen them, it's still dangerously crap driving that put their lives in real danger.

If you watch the slightly longer video on facebook, the driver eventually leaves the sideroad and returns in the direction he was originally heading.

That seems to put to bed the excuse that the driver was only reversing to go up a side road they missed.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here

So what reason would he have for deliberately veering towards the cyclists (on the wrong side or the road), as he gets close to them? If he was, indeed, just backing up to go into a driveway, from where he then carries on driving in the same direction?

albion

Guru
"Both said they had reported the incident to police. Mundaring Police said they were yet to receive the reports but that they could take time to come in depending on the type of report submitted."

Look in the waste paper bin guys in blue!

Top Bottom