Driver caught on camera reversing towards group of Perth cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
So the guy is unfamiliar with the area and thinks he has missed his turning which is why he overshot. He then reverses and goes to turn in but when he has time to stop and look properly he sees it isn't the right turning after all.

I'm not sticking up for the driver, I'm just saying the video doesn't tell enough of the story. The guy needs to be off the road whether it is prison if it is deliberate or a ban if he is just incapable of driving safely.

sidevalve

Über Member
So the guy is unfamiliar with the area and thinks he has missed his turning which is why he overshot. He then reverses and goes to turn in but when he has time to stop and look properly he sees it isn't the right turning after all.

I'm not sticking up for the driver, I'm just saying the video doesn't tell enough of the story. The guy needs to be off the road whether it is prison if it is deliberate or a ban if he is just incapable of driving safely.
+1 Nobody is defending the driver just pointing out the tabloid headline type exaggeration of the U Tube posting - quote "Apparent road rage incident" - "Land rover versus bike" . Why - because it gets more 'hits' for the poster

Whos said the driver was trying to hit them?
Actually the rider said that - read it.
So we are really to believe that a total stranger just drove at a group of cyclists but missed his chance then thought about it some more and decided to have another go - in reverse [if he had wanted to REALLY scare or was some sort of psyco them he could just just swerved over the road and driven at them] then missed them - took a bit of careful driving [and riding] that did. All for NO reason ? Second a reverse gear makes noise a lot of noise. Now I'm no super hero but I could hear a reverse gear driving towards me at speed and had a look The rear rider seems not to notice anything until the car is almost level with him. Seems well scripted.
shoot dangerous driving or to a script - who knows
U Tube videos - take with a fistful of salt.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
+1 Nobody is defending the driver just pointing out the tabloid headline type exaggeration of the U Tube posting - quote "Apparent road rage incident" - "Land rover versus bike" . Why - because it gets more 'hits' for the poster
People do seem to be defending the driver as they keep coming up with excuses for the reverse other than road rage. Yes there are alternative possibilties and road rage/nutter is one of them, IMO the most likely.

Actually the rider said that - read it.
So we are really to believe that a total stranger just drove at a group of cyclists but missed his chance then thought about it some more and decided to have another go - in reverse [if he had wanted to REALLY scare or was some sort of psyco them he could just just swerved over the road and driven at them] then missed them - took a bit of careful driving [and riding] that did. All for NO reason ? Second a reverse gear makes noise a lot of noise. Now I'm no super hero but I could hear a reverse gear driving towards me at speed and had a look The rear rider seems not to notice anything until the car is almost level with him. Seems well scripted.
shoot dangerous driving or to a script - who knows
U Tube videos - take with a fistful of salt.
Noone said he drove at them and missed his chance.

I was saying noone here said was trying to hit them, I thought you were referring to people here not the cyclist. In his defence he has just had a possible brush with death and he was also there and we were not.

Scripted? So now you think the driver was in on it? Or are you insinuating that the cyclist could hear the car reversing but magically knew he wasnt in real danger and decided to make a meal out of it?

1. the guardian isn't a tabloid, it's a berliner.
  2. as that's from the Australian Edition, it's neither: web only
  3. "Apparent road rage incident" is not a tabloid headline, is a measured description of the video. A tabloid headline would be "MANIAC ROAD RAGE ATTACK"
I really don't see your problem here. I don't think it's staged, unless it was a stunt driver and the last two cyclists were stunt riders it would be very dangerous. The driver gets very very close to the last rider, who has to take evasive action. Ruling out that, then either it's a deliberated attack or a driver who would accelerate backwards diagonally into the opposite lane without even glancing at the rear view mirror or over his (I've given up on ungendered pronouns) shoulders because the groups is at least 1/2 dozen, so would have been very visible in just a cursory glance.

All for NO reason
Well, maybe there was a reason. The rider thinks it was road rage, therefore presumably has a reason to think so.

Second a reverse gear makes noise a lot of noise. Now I'm no super hero but I could hear a reverse gear driving towards me at speed and had a look
Yeah, but unless you think that someone is about to deliberately reverse their car into you, why would a reversing car behind worry you if you were moving forward at 30kph or so?

Last edited:

dodgy

Australia.
Australia.JPG

Top Bottom