Driver 'hit and killed cyclist while looking at mobile' (Newbridge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Still not enough, but harsher than many get. My heartfelt sympathies to this young mans family and friends.

Ganymede

Veteran
As a sister of Owain (the cyclist) we ( the family) have sat in court over several days listening to what happened & how it happened. It has been devastating to us to hear how our brother, son, uncle was "ploughed down".
Owain was an intelligent, happy young man who made an impact on the lives of the people around him.
His life was then cut drastically short by a man who was taking photo's whilst driving.
He has no morals, to lay the blame on the victim is shameful & unacceptable. Let's hope Owain get's the justice he deserves. Nothing short of a long custodial sentence will suffice!!
RIP lil Bro xxx You will never be forgotten xxx
I'm so sorry for your loss, and outraged at the man who caused it. My sympathies, it must be very hard for you and your family. Thanks for posting.

The fact they tried to blame the dead cyclist for swerving in front of them really makes my skin crawl. Should have got a lifetime ban and a minimum of 10 years inside.

Yep, he's seems to have been at a church conference and killed a man on the way home by being a distracted idiot, then tried to blame the dead man. Took the jury 7 hours to decide though.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Does anyone know whether the 10 year driving ban starts at the end of the prison sentence? Bit stupid if not.

What does someone have to do to receive a life driving ban? Does anyone know if someone has ever received one?

Drago

Legendary Member
The ban starts instantly. There's no mechanism in law that allows it to be deferred until the end of the sentence. Should be a life ban. After all, kill animal they can ban you from pet ownership for life. Shoot someone and you can be banned from owning a firearm for life. But killing someone with a vehicle is somehow more acceptable. Stupid.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Apparently Dennis Puts, who killed Catriona Patel whilst hung over or, more probably, still drunk and using a phone has a lifetime ban. He did have three previous convictions for drink driving and multiple disqualifications though.

That's ridiculous. They should put legislation through so that a driving ban starts upon the person's release from prison.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
32 years old, over 100 driving convictions and a double life ban. That's a very sad record.
But what happens when he gets his 3rd or 4th total life ban? We cant lock him up forever?

Fit some kind of shoe that means he can't operate the accelerator.

Top Bottom