Driver tried to scare me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
...or knock me off.

The below is the exit off a roundabout, I usually, and did today, follow the red line:

upload_2014-11-23_15-28-52.png

I always take a primary because of that traffic island, it's far too narrow for a car and me to pass at the same time. This is also a popular bus route, with buses every 10 minutes or less, and there is certainly no room at all for them to squeeze by.

Today while exiting the roundabout, I sensed a very close car, I am not sure where it came from, because it wasn't in sight when I entered the roundabout. It then bibbed its horn at me. I turned to see the driver flapping his arms demanding I move over. I ignore this and continue to follow the red line; a little shook up by how close he remained, once I got into the secondary position I moved right over and slowed down, to let him pass as there is another island shortly ahead.

He then stops beside me, now I am not normally confrontation but while he is shouting something, I try and tell him that he is overtaking me, and should give me room or wait behind. Not liking this, he swerves right into my path, so that his car is half on the road, half in that parking bay. I am not sure if this was to scare me, or a deliberate attempt to knock me off. Had I not slowed down to let him pass in the first place, I would have been going at a speed such he would have clipped me and/or I would have ridden into him.

Well that is my vent over, it shook me up a bit because in a year of riding 5000 miles, this is the first actual malicious driver I have come across. I memorised his registration plate, but I doubt there is much use at all reporting him as it's his word against mine.

What does scare me is he had a young family in the car: 1) they will think this is acceptable behaviour and 2) what about when he tries to do this in front of a lorry or something.

That's awful! Just glad you're ok...I'm the same and probably wouldn't bother reporting him as it will probably end up coming to nothing. Then again, he might do the same to someone else...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Worth reporting.

There are other witnesses in the car.

Yes, they are likely to be friends/family, but they ought to tell the truth, and at the very least you are putting them in the position of lying to a copper/in court.

It may be the coppers have had dealings with this driver before, so your report could help the police build up a full picture.

Ganymede

Veteran
For what it's worth, I wonder if his kids are more likely to grow up to try to be as unlike this as possible. They were probably frightened and embarrassed.

My own Dad, lovely man in many ways, used to throw mini-fits of irritation at everything that went wrong ("oh GOD!!! what now???!!!" etc). I am much calmer as a result of reacting against this, and I've married a very calm man!

Sorry you had this trouble and I agree that it's worth reporting as long as you don't expect a result. The cumulative effects of lots of this kind of report might have an effect, and they might remember his number if he does something else.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
I'll have a look at reporting tomorrow. Unfortunately I didn't write the number down, just memorised it, and this happened at the beginning of my ride.

Comparing the DVLA record though to what I thought I saw (a green audi) does tally though. Would hate the wrong person to get in trouble! Unfortunately there used to be CCTV on the roundabout but on my way back I checked and the camera has been removed, it only had a small chance of pointing in the right direction anyway.

If I am truthfully honest it was probably an attempt to scare, but all it takes is them to misjudge speed or distance and it could be much worse.

I only went out on a short ride to test my mudguards didn't slip! Glad to say they didn't.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Coming off that RAB the only safe route is along your red line.

Dont let it put you off .Ride to be safe .

I would report it if you still have the reg number.

Mrs M

Guru
No need for his behaviour, I would report him. If every person he has raged at reports him maybe someone will take notice and do something, maybe he needs anger management .
:evil: No example to set for his passengers, glad you're ok.

Worth reporting.

There are other witnesses in the car.

Yes, they are likely to be friends/family, but they ought to tell the truth, and at the very least you are putting them in the position of lying to a copper/in court.

It may be the coppers have had dealings with this driver before, so your report could help the police build up a full picture.

This is exactly where helmet cams come into their own, especially when complaining to companies..... do not mention it at first, keep it as a backup

Let the drivers and witnesses tell their lies and then suggest that the manager needs to discuss their honesty as well as the dangerous driving when they watch the video and see what really happened.

I have had one driver dismissed as a consequence of his dishonesty when he could have had a simple warning for the driving

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
I agree with the others. Report it. Very unlikely that you've misremembered the registration if DVLA shows same make and colour of car.

Guys that drive like that will be serial offenders and sooner or later there is a chance someone will get hurt. A word from plod may make him think twice.

I've reported someone for exactly the same thing (getting verbal and aggressive after I'd taken the lane through a narrowing). Police were very helpful

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Worth reporting. The police use reports as intelligence against drivers, so when they are really naughty they get in trouble. One chap I reported actually tried to knock me off a few times. Police followed it up, but ended up my word vs his. The police did say the incident was added to the list as the car/driver had history. The police did say this would happen, but expalined it was worth pursuing as these bad drivers usually have history.

Top Bottom