Driver tried to scare me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
2 bits of good news then: you survived and your mudguards work fine.

But kidding aside, glad you're OK but that driver, wow what an ahole.

Kookas

Über Member
Worth reporting. The police use reports as intelligence against drivers, so when they are really naughty they get in trouble. One chap I reported actually tried to knock me off a few times. Police followed it up, but ended up my word vs his. The police did say the incident was added to the list as the car/driver had history. The police did say this would happen, but expalined it was worth pursuing as these bad drivers usually have history.

He had history, but they still did nothing? When do they decide there's too much history?

I treat incidents like this as attempts on my life, and I react as if they are. If they are unfortunate enough to get stuck in traffic and I catch them up, I throw the biggest mental I can muster. My favourite trick is to bang on their window, when the wind they window down I lean in, yank the keys out of the ignition, and throw them down the nearest drain.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'm glad you're okay!
I had something similar happen a couple of days ago at a pinch point (not off a roundabout).
I heard a car behind me, so I shoulder checked and seen it.
I moved over, to a more more central position as I was about to go through the pinch point.
He used his horn and gesticulated as he drew level with me. It was a female driver with 3 passengers.
They stopped at the garage for fuel, and as I passed she shouted something across the road at me....I shouted back, 'Hope you smiled, my camera is running!'
She looked mortified and turned away.

My camera had run out of battery about 30 mins before but she didn't know that.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I treat incidents like this as attempts on my life, and I react as if they are. If they are unfortunate enough to get stuck in traffic and I catch them up, I throw the biggest mental I can muster. My favourite trick is to bang on their window, when the wind they window down I lean in, yank the keys out of the ignition, and throw them down the nearest drain.

I take it the driver just sits there and lets you get on with this?

young Ed

Veteran
worth reporting, even if it is just someone official calls him up or he gets an official looking letter through the post etc it might make him wake up and think that actually he should calm down as one day he will get done
TBH i would have struggles not to pull out the fists and at least shouted come on then and asked for a fight :sad:
Cheers Ed

Drago

Legendary Member
I abhor violence and confrontation, but the last bloke that threw a mental at me on the road came a cropper. There he was busy going mental, and I stepped out the truck fresh from the gym, still in my muscle vest on my way.home for a shower. At the time 260lbs and 56"chest, a mighty hunk of pumped magnificence. Silly idiot went pale very rapidly, and managed to squeak out an apology before his voice failed completely. Being magnanimous in victory and having mad him look a pecker in front of his family I gave him a cheery wave of forgiveness, but if I'd been a nutter like Kenneth Noye he would be pushing up daisies. Why do the twerps do it? There's always.someone bigger than them, always someone more willing and able to use violence, so why take the chance?

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'm glad you're okay!
I had something similar happen a couple of days ago at a pinch point (not off a roundabout).
I heard a car behind me, so I shoulder checked and seen it.
I moved over, to a more more central position as I was about to go through the pinch point.
He used his horn and gesticulated as he drew level with me. It was a female driver with 3 passengers.
They stopped at the garage for fuel, and as I passed she shouted something across the road at me....I shouted back, 'Hope you smiled, my camera is running!'
She looked mortified and turned away.

My camera had run out of battery about 30 mins before but she didn't know that.
This is the point in question...the garage is up on the right, where the white van is

Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 18.00.43.png

IF you want to disable a car the most efficient way is to open the nearside rear door fully

The driver then has to stop, get out, close it and return to the driving seat giving you all the time you need.................

... to run away

More seriously though,

It is rare that this sort of thing happens, so it is not really an issue for most cyclists and the occasional case is best dealt iwth calmly and carefully

buggi

Bird Saviour
It's definitely worth reporting. Write the number down if you haven't already. I have a little muvi cam which I got for idiots like this. It was only £43 off Amazon, not even the HD version but the footage is clear enough to capture car reg etc. And its tiny so can easily be place on helmet or bike. (you may need to also buy the waterproof case). I don't upload stuff to youtube or anything, i bought it specifically for reporting malicious/intent incidents after being pushed off and hit ones to many times and lack of police action. Well worth the money.

According to Thornhill et al, who studied head injury admissions as a cohort:

The characteristics of the cohort agreed with previous surveys1: 1255 (42%) were men aged 40 years or less, 575 (19%) were men and women aged 65 years or more, and most (90%) were classified as having a mild injury. The most common causes of injury were falls (43%) or assaults (34%); alcohol was often involved (61%), and a quarter reported treatment for a previous head injury.

Note that cyclists were not an identified at risk group, but assaults were.

If you are going to pursue this type of high risk behaviour, then perhaps wearing a helmet to prevent this type of injury would be to your benefit

I abhor violence and confrontation, but the last bloke that threw a mental at me on the road came a cropper. There he was busy going mental, and I stepped out the truck fresh from the gym, still in my muscle vest on my way.home for a shower. At the time 260lbs and 56"chest, a mighty hunk of pumped magnificence. Silly idiot went pale very rapidly, and managed to squeak out an apology before his voice failed completely. Being magnanimous in victory and having mad him look a pecker in front of his family I gave him a cheery wave of forgiveness, but if I'd been a nutter like Kenneth Noye he would be pushing up daisies. Why do the twerps do it? There's always.someone bigger than them, always someone more willing and able to use violence, so why take the chance?

Carbon lid, and a mini u lock around the middle finger, deters all but the most determined. I've not yet met a Kenneth Noye. I've come across a fair few gym bunny tossers, their balls shrink a lot when a purple faced nutter, starts on them.

Top Bottom