Driver tried to scare me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Does not a tight fitting carbon fibre bone dome somewhat ruin the effect and reduce said drivers to gales of laughter? A guy in lycra with a carbon condom atop his head is unlikely to instil fear in all but the most chicken of cagers. I mean, MAMILs are usually a source of amusement. This is why bank robbers and muggers tend not to wear lycra and cycle helmets.

vickster

Legendary Member
@Drago , nor do they wear yellow Bono glasses ;)

Does not a tight fitting carbon fibre bone dome somewhat ruin the effect and reduce said drivers to gales of laughter? A guy in lycra with a carbon condom atop his head is unlikely to instil fear in all but the most chicken of cagers. I mean, MAMILs are usually a source of amusement. This is why bank robbers and muggers tend not to wear lycra and cycle helmets.

Trust me, I've yet to lose a confrontation, Lycra, lid or not. I'm no 'mamil'. It ain't the size of the boat, it's the motion in the Ocean.

Last edited:

jarlrmai

Veteran
I'm amazed this is your first time in 5000 miles, I got one by the second week of cycling to work.

Interestingly I spoke to the guy who work at a local bike shop and he says he doesn't get much trouble but then he's 6 foot 4 and very heavily built and I'm 5'9 and built like Vincenzo Nibali.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Glad you're ok @BrynCP, once in 5000 miles is not bad.
Agreed, it should not have happened at all: I think you should report it, may avoid a repetition of the episode.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
I'm amazed this is your first time in 5000 miles, I got one by the second week of cycling to work.

Interestingly I spoke to the guy who work at a local bike shop and he says he doesn't get much trouble but then he's 6 foot 4 and very heavily built and I'm 5'9 and built like Vincenzo Nibali.

I think in the last year, I've had only three instances of drivers sounded their horns or shouting at me. In the other occasions, they've done this from a distance though and not deliberately pulled across my path (today was clearly deliberate, rather than poor driving, as he left what would be considered the normal lane in order to do it).

Obviously I have experienced the odd poor driving, and people getting close because they are poor drivers (or I assume). In only my 3rd or 4th ride, just before that same roundabout, I had a car undertake me on a right hand turn out of a one way road. I remember posting about it. In that case I just believed it was poor driving, it's a wide road, enough for two cars, and the car turned right in a turn left position, in order to squeeze by me, effectively putting me in the middle of the road on her offside.

I think I get more drivers go mad at me when I'm in my car, because I like to obey box junctions and keep clear signs.

I treat incidents like this as attempts on my life, and I react as if they are. If they are unfortunate enough to get stuck in traffic and I catch them up, I throw the biggest mental I can muster. My favourite trick is to bang on their window, when the wind they window down I lean in, yank the keys out of the ignition, and throw them down the nearest drain.
Hah, it would be even funnier to ride off with them. They would be able to retrieve them from the drain with some serious effort. They are not keeping up with a cyclist on foot.

Hah, it would be even funnier to ride off with them. They would be able to retrieve them from the drain with some serious effort. They are not keeping up with a cyclist on foot.
I've got to be a bit careful. I just want to inconvenience them, not get done for thieving their keys. To be fair I've yet to hit the target, when aiming for the drain. One day I'll get it:laugh:

I've got to be a bit careful. I just want to inconvenience them, not get done for thieving their keys. To be fair I've yet to hit the target, when aiming for the drain. One day I'll get it:laugh:

It would still be theft if the suspicion was that you wanted to permanently deprive the driver of those keys. Chucking then down a drain would be enough for that suspicion.

Top Bottom