Dry Lube v. Wet Lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I asked the bloke in the bike shop about this, all he could say was that one was red and one was green, and that one collected more crap off th eroad than the other but he wasnt sure which.
So...what is th edifference?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I asked the bloke in the bike shop about this, all he could say was that one was red and one was green, and that one collected more crap off th eroad than the other but he wasnt sure which.
So...what is th edifference?
Are you sure it was a bike shop?

Wet's the oily one, probably best for your all-weather bike in winter, mucky but good chain protection when wet.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I use the Finish Line Wet/Dry variants which just so happen to be green and red :smile:

My understanding is that the dry one attracts much less dust and grit, but doesn't last as long being rained on so it's best for summer (assuming summer is actually anything like dry). The wet lube stands up against rain/puddles much better, but picks up a lot more crap which is quite noticable if you ride over sandy trails. I don't think the red stuff is worthwhile in the UK, especially if you aren't a rain-dodging fair weather cyclist. :smile:

HovR

Über Member
I use Finish Line Dry, and am pretty impressed with it. Even in the wet it seems to stick pretty well, although as is advisable for any lubricant, I reapply after every (very) wet ride. If it's just a shower or light rain then I'll dry off the chain, but don't reapply the lubricant.

I also get almost absolutely zero black oily gunk build up. Maybe a very thin layer after first applying, which is easily wiped off with a rag. After that it remains almost completely clean. Perfect if you don't like wiping down chains/cassettes very often, but don't mind reapplying the lubricant after very wet rides.

HovR

Über Member
I use chainsaw oil and will never by another bottle of overpriced 'bike specific lube' as long as I've got a hole in my eye.

C'mon, It's not that bad! I bought one of those small 2oz bottles of Finish Line in early spring. I used it to lubricate 2 of my own bike chains and many others that weren't mine.

It ran out over Christmas - Not too bad for three quid!

C'mon, It's not that bad!
I suppose, but when you can buy a litre bottle of chainsaw oil for not a lot more you can see my point.

And my chain will never revolve as fast as a chainsaw chain, so it'll do for me :smile:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
decent mudguards keep the shite off your chain regardless of what oil you use. I find my bikes with mudguards can do about 5 or 6 winter rides without needing a major drive train clean. Bike without needs a good clean after every ride.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I use chainsaw oil and will never by another bottle of overpriced 'bike specific lube' as long as I've got a hole in my eye.
.....are you sure that you have a hole in your eye? I have never seen such a condition in over 30 years as a nurse..... (although I must admit my opthalmic experience is very limited)

Top Bottom