dumbass LCC bike lane on Stratford High Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2745537 said:
My associate membership of the CTC via the Fridays will cover that, won't it?

CTC Affiliated Membership for Individuals
Once your group has affiliated, you will be given a unique code your individual members can use to join online. It costs just £16 for individual members to take out club affiliation which will cover them should they cause any damage or injury to anybody else while cycling to a Third Party.

Note only full CTC members have automatic access to legal claims advice.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We're always being told to 'go to the Continent and see how wonderful it is'. Assorted FNRttCers took themselves off to Belgium this year and rode along the cycle path that runs between parked cars, bus stops and the footpath along the A9. It was pants. Ten miles of this nonsense made your head hurt. And that was at two in the morning.
That was my experience of commuting across a small town in Holland for a couple of years, (Ede). A perfectly pleasant ride on nice roads until they put in a cycling farcility. A 1m wide raised red track where the road once was which meant no overtaking another bicycle without dropping off the kerb back into the flow of traffic and then renegotiating the kerb back onto the red raised track. Insane. Then there was the circumferential track around the edge of the small roundabout with various bits of concrete to contain and guide various traffic flows around it. Bloody dangerous. There was no need for any of it and it benefited no-one, not even the cars (of which there were few).

cs2f.jpg

I have two things to show you here. Firstly that's Brian Dorling's ghost bike, or the remains of it, reminding us of his fatal accident a few yards ahead at the Bow Roundabout two years ago. And secondly there's a car parked in the Cycle Superhighway, perfectly legally, blocking passage. This is an official parking bay, operational for loading and unloading outside peak hours, and freely available for parking on Sundays. As a local resident I'm very pleased to have such facilities available. As a cyclist, however, the idea of a parking space on a Superhighway is entirely bonkers. Not so super.

cs2g.jpg

This is the entrance to the segregated cycle lane added at the Bow Roundabout following Brian Dorling's death. Previously CS2 had been nothing more thanhalf a lane painted blue, which was ludicrous this close to the roundabout because it was usually obstructed by queueing traffic. The separate lane seems much more sensible, except it starts only a few metres after a bus stop so (as seen here) can be equally impossible to access. From what I've seen there's a similar schoolboy error on the opposite side of the roundabout, on the new westbound extension, where access to the Bow Flyover bus stop bypass can be blocked by a queue of vehicles. They never learn. Not so super.

http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.co.uk/

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That was my experience of commuting across a small town in Holland for a couple of years, (Ede). A perfectly pleasant ride on nice roads until they put in a cycling farcility. A 1m wide raised red track where the road once was which meant no overtaking another bicycle without dropping off the kerb back into the flow of traffic and then renegotiating the kerb back onto the red raised track. Insane. Then there was the circumferential track around the edge of the small roundabout with various bits of concrete to contain and guide various traffic flows around it. Bloody dangerous. There was no need for any of it and it benefited no-one, not even the cars (of which there were few).
Criticisming Dutch Infrastructure? You're asking for a stoning.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Makes it much more fun to cycle along a clear blue stream though... imagine yourselves on a boat, on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.

So they're good for skiers to practice slamons on, and they're nice for anyone in a boat when it rains.

In fact I've realised why LCC have their "Go Dutch" campaign. They think of Amsterdam with its canals and with all the rain we've been having, they want to replicate that here!

Shame it's no use at all for large groups of cyclists as Dellzeqq has pointed out.

ozzage

I'm curious.

What would have to happen for you guys to admit that you're wrong? If numbers increased and feedback was overwhelmingly positive, would that do it? If not, what would?

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm curious.

What would have to happen for you guys to admit that you're wrong? If numbers increased and feedback was overwhelmingly positive, would that do it? If not, what would?
I have a feeling that numbers may increase but feedback from all groups will be in the negative.

the money could have been better spent on more worthwhile projects for cycling

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm curious.

You certainly are curious. I, on the other hand, have a question. How are you going to get CS7 stylee bike numbers down that lane?

And, sorry, but you don't have the smarts or the breadth of understanding, or even the interest in the wider world to decide by what measures this thing is a success or a failure. It is inherently a bad thing - that it will fail by the simplest metric than you can devise is merely the maraschino cherry on the icing of the cake that is a greater wisdom you're never going to be accross.

Last edited:
Top Bottom