dumbass LCC bike lane on Stratford High Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it is when it's new, but it 'goes off' quite quickly. I've seen someone come off on one of the raised white lines, but, again, those gain grip quite quickly

the link is very telling. A tipper truck. The LCC have been avoiding the obvious conclusion for 7 years, and it's about time they gave in and recognised that it's not the 'where' but the 'who'.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I see Brizzle is going Dutch.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
it is when it's new, but it 'goes off' quite quickly. I've seen someone come off on one of the raised white lines, but, again, those gain grip quite quickly

the link is very telling. A tipper truck. The LCC have been avoiding the obvious conclusion for 7 years, and it's about time they gave in and recognised that it's not the 'where' but the 'who'.
A counterpoint - not the who but the what: http://lcc.org.uk/articles/lcc-chal...er-urban-lorry-to-reduce-lorry-cyclist-deaths

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
heckamighty!

There might be a drain that's been blocked by mortar droppings and the like, though. At least I hope so, because as @Archie_tect will know (but not from personal experience), that's not a mistake you want to make.

I've seen that sort of flood before on a cycle lane; the now removed contraflow in the SW corner of Russell Sq. Badly laid to start with but only outlet for water was a gap in kerb (often blocked with leaves/dirt etc) so it half drained into main carriageway.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm curious.

What would have to happen for you guys to admit that you're wrong? If numbers increased and feedback was overwhelmingly positive, would that do it? If not, what would?
What would make you accept that you are?

So far we have a facility that causes conflict and can't even shed rain water in a safe sensible manner.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I used to get lapidated. These days I'm just dilapidated.
Or debilitated .....

What budget have the local council set aside for cleaning this 2 mile long facility? Will it in fact get cleaned at all, and if so how often? Do they have a little machine which they'll drive up and down clearing out the debris that builds up in these enclosed areas?

Wobblers

Euthermic
I'm curious.

What would have to happen for you guys to admit that you're wrong? If numbers increased and feedback was overwhelmingly positive, would that do it? If not, what would?

That would be a start. But there are other more important measures. How many injuries along that path? If the injury rate - to both cyclists and pedestrians - on a per cyclist/pedestrian basis is increased, then this facility has measurably increased risk. That is an instant fail, no matter how positive the feedback.

Do you expect pedestrians to be "overwhelmingly positive" about this? As someone who is more often a pedestrian than cyclist, I have to say that I am very, very grateful there is no such abomination in Birmingham.

Oh... "admit that you're wrong" suggests you consider the naysayers to be wrong. It is a convenient insinuation which suggests that you are right - but without any of that inconvenient hassle of actually having to come up with anything to support that insinuation. So how about I give you the opportunity to state why do you think that you are right and "you guys" are wrong?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why dont they put the people who organise these things on a plane with some bikes and send them to Denmark to see how it should be done. It would save a fortune in meetings and planning.

Steve

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Why dont they put the people who organise these things on a plane with some bikes and send them to Denmark to see how it should be done. It would save a fortune in meetings and planning.

Steve
Steve - London is a city of nine million people. Copenhagen is half the size of Birmingham. London's CBD stretches from Paddington Basin to Westfield.- getting on for nine miles. Copenhagen is endless suburb. (And, frankly I'd rather live in Beirut than Copenhagen.)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
That would be a start. But there are other more important measures. How many injuries along that path? If the injury rate - to both cyclists and pedestrians - on a per cyclist/pedestrian basis is increased, then this facility has measurably increased risk. That is an instant fail, no matter how positive the feedback.

Do you expect pedestrians to be "overwhelmingly positive" about this? As someone who is more often a pedestrian than cyclist, I have to say that I am very, very grateful there is no such abomination in Birmingham.

Oh... "admit that you're wrong" suggests you consider the naysayers to be wrong. It is a convenient insinuation which suggests that you are right - but without any of that inconvenient hassle of actually having to come up with anything to support that insinuation. So how about I give you the opportunity to state why do you think that you are right and "you guys" are wrong?
the other consideration is the money. Two and a half million quid would get you twenty flats for social housing.

Top Bottom