Dunwich Dynamo 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Got into Dunwich at 10 past 5 and back home just after 9 with 247 on the clock
Good god. At 9 I could only dream of being at home.

I didn't take many pictures. This one stands out:
water.jpg

As amenities go I saw better than the spigot at the back of a pub. All that mattered was that it was potable.

grub.jpg

Food or toilets, it starts with a queue.

Colin_B

I rode it again for my second time. Left the park at about 8:15 and arrived at the beach at 5:15. I enjoyed the whole ride apart from the potholes, there seemed to be a lot more this year. The group I rode with didn't take as many breaks as I would have liked and I suffered towards the end. I thought the numbers were down on last year, did anyone else think the numbers were down ?

saoirse50

Veteran
If anything, there seemed to be less than in 2013. Just going by crowds I saw in the park. But it's hard to judge and I tend to leave a bit later these days, to avoid the madness that can descend on Epping Rd if you leave with the crowds. I heard that the halfway stop volunteers felt there were less people, but again this might be because it's a bit of a detour from the route. And now loads of people use pre loaded GPS tracks, many of which don't include this tiny detour.

saoirse50

Veteran
I was on my own at sunrise. Stopped for a while and just watched it.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have no excuse at all for getting lost, as this was my ninth DunRun, but I did and ended up on the so called cycle path around Needham Market, which took me through fields of wheat and broadbeans, then a steepish bit of down where I just had to let the brakes be and hope for the best on my skinny road wheels.

image.jpg

I always seem to end up on my own for about half of it at least. I lost the Lewisham Cyclists team I led up to Hackney before even getting out of Hackney. My terrific tandem partners were with me then and we stopped to chat to some mates of the tandem captain, who always wait at the end of their road to wave the ride on. The rest of the group just shot off ahead. We spent several minutes chatting and I stayed with the tandem, which struggled to get up any speed on the Lea Bridge Rd as we were caught at every light and it's all slightly uphill. I stayed with my tandem mates till just after
halfway perhaps...maybe a bit more. Don't quite know what happened, but suddenly I realised they weren't just behind me any more. It's never a problem though, and I actually really enjoy being on my own under the moon on my bike. Stopped a couple of times to help out with mechanicals. That's always nice to chat to folks.
With about maybe 15 miles to go, I stopped to munch a slice of banana bread and lo and behold, some of the Lewisham team showed up. We soon crept up behind our mate on the Fatbike, who had left a good deal earlier than the rest of us as he knew he'd be slower. So hit the beach with a bunch of Lewisham riders, at maybe nine, cooked up some fried eggs and tea on the beach.

It began to rain about 10am. I was amazed at how many folk had no waterproofs! My tandem friends arrived, my Lewisham team headed to the coaches, we waved them off. Then headed to Darsham in the pouring rain to drop the tandem stoker off on the train, thence to Sibton where a friend of the tandem captain lives and we were warmed up with coffee and cake. The tandem was taken apart here and stowed in a car. Soon I was waving off the captain and heading, off alone again, on wet roads, to Saxmundham where I expected my partner, Mario, to arrive at about 2pm so we could ride together to Aldeburgh where we planned to stay a few days.

Little did I know of the mess that train services to the east of England had become that morning due to the overloading of some poor bridge near Witham. Eventually, Mario, was forced (by an overbearing jobsworth who refused to allow his bike on an almost empty train as there were already four bikes on it) to take a cab with two other Aldeburgh heading cyclists, also forced off by the same jobsworth (on the first day of their honeymoon) from Ely (where diversions had sent them) to Aldeburgh. So I ended up riding a fair few extra miles that day. By the time we got to Aldeburgh, unloaded his bike, put it back together and staggered into where we were staying, at 6.30pm on Sunday, I hadn't had a wink of sleep since 5am on Saturday morning.

Last edited:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
When you say 'Fatbike' do you mean the lad who was riding a bike that had massive snow / sand tyres? Heroic!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Anyone else experience what these guys did?

Calvin TuckerDunwich Dynamo
Dear Dulwich Paragons

I am a club rider who has ridden in a wide variety of events, including sportives, licenced races and Grand Fondos, e.g. the Etape. I also commute in London traffic, and I mountain bike. So what I have to say to you is based on experience and understanding of club etiquette and safe riding, and not based on ignorance or prejudice.

The dictionary defines 'paragon' as "a model or pattern of excellence or of a particular excellence: a paragon of virtue. Synonyms: ideal, standard, epitome, quintessence; example, exemplar, paradigm."

I don't feel you lived up to these standards on Saturday night.

First of all, you need to appreciate that the the Dun Run is not a race and that the event includes riders of varying levels of skill and experience, many of whom have no experience of night-riding on country roads. The problem is not that you were "cycling fast" (I'm not slow myself), but that you were cycling without much thought or regard for the safety and enjoyment of other cyclists.

I was personally cut up twice by a group of Paragons. On one ocassion I was almost pushed me into the hedge on the right hand side of the road by Paragons who were trying to overtake some 'recreational cyclists', only to run out of puff on the climb and block my path. It was pretty shocking behaviour from a club, and if they had pulled that stunt on me during an actual race, my response would have been to elbow or headbutt them off the tarmac.

A former work colleague I happened to bump into also told me that Paragons were "buzzing" inexperienced riders. And there have been numerous similar complaints posted here.

You may well feel confident enough in your bike handling skills to pass riders that close and at speed, although I have to say I was not impressed by the standard of riding I witnessed from your club. The point is that close passes can cause less experienced riders to panic and potentially crash, and the risks increase exponentially as the night wears on and riders become fatigued and lose focus. It's not a nice way to ride, and it reflects badly on your club.

Another issue, I think, was that the large number of riders in the Paragon bunch meant that they dominated the road space, often to the exclusion of other riders. The differentials in speed between different riders meant that a bunch as large as yours was basically forcing its way through gaps and intimidating other riders. This is obviously dangerous, and it comes across as arrogant and disrespectful.

Please have a think about how, as a club, you interact with other riders in a safe and mutually respectful manner. Thank you.

Last edited:
Anyone else experience what this guys did?

Calvin TuckerDunwich Dynamo
Dear Dulwich Paragons

I am a club rider who has ridden in a wide variety of events, including sportives, licenced races and Grand Fondos, e.g. the Etape. I also commute in London traffic, and I mountain bike. So what I have to say to you is based on experience and understanding of club etiquette and safe riding, and not based on ignorance or prejudice.

The dictionary defines 'paragon' as "a model or pattern of excellence or of a particular excellence: a paragon of virtue. Synonyms: ideal, standard, epitome, quintessence; example, exemplar, paradigm."

I don't feel you lived up to these standards on Saturday night.

First of all, you need to appreciate that the the Dun Run is not a race and that the event includes riders of varying levels of skill and experience, many of whom have no experience of night-riding on country roads. The problem is not that you were "cycling fast" (I'm not slow myself), but that you were cycling without much thought or regard for the safety and enjoyment of other cyclists.

I was personally cut up twice by a group of Paragons. On one ocassion I was almost pushed me into the hedge on the right hand side of the road by Paragons who were trying to overtake some 'recreational cyclists', only to run out of puff on the climb and block my path. It was pretty shocking behaviour from a club, and if they had pulled that stunt on me during an actual race, my response would have been to elbow or headbutt them off the tarmac.

A former work colleague I happened to bump into also told me that Paragons were "buzzing" inexperienced riders. And there have been numerous similar complaints posted here.

You may well feel confident enough in your bike handling skills to pass riders that close and at speed, although I have to say I was not impressed by the standard of riding I witnessed from your club. The point is that close passes can cause less experienced riders to panic and potentially crash, and the risks increase exponentially as the night wears on and riders become fatigued and lose focus. It's not a nice way to ride, and it reflects badly on your club.

Another issue, I think, was that the large number of riders in the Paragon bunch meant that they dominated the road space, often to the exclusion of other riders. The differentials in speed between different riders meant that a bunch as large as yours was basically forcing its way through gaps and intimidating other riders. This is obviously dangerous, and it comes across as arrogant and disrespectful.

Please have a think about how, as a club, you interact with other riders in a safe and mutually respectful manner. Thank you.
To my knowledge, Dulwich Paragon "trains" have been acting inconsiderately on the DunRun for years. Certainly they already had a reputation when I rode it for the first time in 2010. Then in 2011 we had a big problem with their "support cars" zooming up and down the countrylanes in the wee hours. You'd think they were Team Sky or something... in their dreams!
Every year, letters get sent afterwards. This one was exceedingly polite.
(I'm one of the two FB group admins, for my sins.)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
What about the four on the cross-trainer bikes? We passed them heading back from Dunwich at about 7.30. Did they really ride 116 miles, let alone 232, standing up? Very skinny and muscly all of them.

That'd be Carl, Henry, Stuart and Idai. These are small miles for them. Carl, Stuart and Idai are PBP qualified. I first met Idai at Market Rasen on LEL. Man is a machine. Although he travels perpendicular to me, we were pleased to share a few words on the DD:smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
DP have close-passed me on a number of (non Dun Run) occasions, causing me to frown. In my case on quiet lanes in broad daylight. All that would be needed would be an "on your right". They also seem to be exceptionally stealthy.

Top Bottom