Dunwich Dynamo 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Got into Dunwich at 10 past 5 and back home just after 9 with 247 on the clock, totally spent with yesterdays heat and headwind really taking effect on the way down therefore ruling out my intention of trying to round it up to 300

Met @Trickedem at the 85 mile food point and also at the end , as well as @Andrew_Culture in Finchingfield and not forgetting the legend @SimonJKH who also I rode down with yesterday as well as parts of todays ride.

Well done to everyone who completed this

mattobrien

Guru
Chapeau to one and all.

We had a member of our group ride down from Dunwich, we met him in the park.

We managed a reasonable pace (unintentionally) and were delighted to only have the one puncture.

2016 here we come

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Once again the DD proved itself to be one of the greatest adventures you can have on a bike. So many memories of this year's ride spin around my head - trying to fix a broken chain on the grass verge of the busiest roundabout on the route; a group of happy young riders offering me a turn on their 'herbal cigarette'; yelling 'Do a skid' at a fixie rider and getting one; suddenly getting the urge to race a kid less than half my age up one of the short, sharp climbs near the end (lets call it a tie); hearing my name being yelled at 2am in the middle of nowhere (members of my running club setting a blistering pace as a group)...
If you're ever wondering 'Should I try the DD?' just do it - you'll love it!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A mate and I rode down from Enfield, where we were dropped off, to London Fields and set off at 20:15. We arrived in Dunwich at about 04:30 having gone for the One Stop strategy (at Sudbury Fire Station). Only a few quick stops to change batteries apart from that. Average speed 15.2. Would have been 16mph, I reckon, (good for me over a long distance!) without the clog up at the start for half an hour or so. 128 miles to the beach, but 134 miles after riding back a bit and then off the meet our lift back nearby as she didn't fancy driving right down the hill with the sheer number of cyclists around. (I HAD to do a few more miles as my previous longest ride was 131 miles. Couldn't stop at 128!!

First time we've done the ride and certainly planning to do it again!!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Which town was it that the local LBS was still open and doing a roaring trade? That's how to make a business work!

Trickedem

Guru
Got into Dunwich at 10 past 5 and back home just after 9 with 247 on the clock, totally spent with yesterdays heat and headwind really taking effect on the way down therefore ruling out my intention of trying to round it up to 300

Met @Trickedem at the 85 mile food point and also at the end , as well as @Andrew_Culture in Finchingfield and not forgetting the legend @SimonJKH who also I rode down with yesterday as well as parts of todays ride.

Well done to everyone who completed this
Nice talking to you. Well done on an epic ride

Reactions: 4F

Trickedem

Guru
I'm in, oddly.

Considering last time I was in a bed it was in Philadelphia, this could be tricky. Still, time on sofa has been put to good use, and kids are (for the most part) charming companions.

So. Off to find some food, then fettle a bit with the Encore, then look for some shoes, grab some zip ties, and head towards the start. Hope to see a few friendly faces on the road. Oh, and might be riding back too. If I'm still awake at the start, I'll ride to the end. If I'm still awake at the end, I'll ride to the start. If you see me headed back to the coast on Sunday. STOP ME.
I saw a mirage of what looked like the legend that is just as I was leaving the half way stop. I shouted to you, but you didn't look round so I assumed it was someone else.

Trickedem

Guru
Awesome ride and nice to chat to so many people. I missed the start because I left home without my waterbottles, meaning I didn't get to Stratford till gone 8. I rode North and eventually picked the ride up in Epping Forest. I made good progress and got to the half way point before 12 and avoided the queues. Thanks to LCC for the awesome soup. I also stopped at the house near the end that does bacon rolls. Had a nice chat with @4F, then slept for an hour in the Yurt. I couldn't be bothered to wait for the queues at the Cafe, so had a pint and some crisps in the pub, then rode to Ipswich, which was delightful until the last 30 minutes when the heavens opened. Trains were screwed, due to a bridge being hit in Witham, so after a short train journey to Colchester, I spent another couple of hours riding to Chelmsford, where after several more delays, I finally got a train to Stratford. Nightmare journey, but got home in the end.
Dunwich sunset.jpg

U

User10571

Awesome ride and nice to chat to so many people. I missed the start because I left home without my waterbottles, meaning I didn't get to Stratford till gone 8. I rode North and eventually picked the ride up in Epping Forest. I made good progress and got to the half way point before 12 and avoided the queues. Thanks to LCC for the awesome soup. I also stopped at the house near the end that does bacon rolls. Had a nice chat with @4F, then slept for an hour in the Yurt. I couldn't be bothered to wait for the queues at the Cafe, so had a pint and some crisps in the pub, then rode to Ipswich, which was delightful until the last 30 minutes when the heavens opened. Trains were screwed, due to a bridge being hit in Witham, so after a short train journey to Colchester, I spent another couple of hours riding to Chelmsford, where after several more delays, I finally got a train to Stratford. Nightmare journey, but got home in the end.
View attachment 95106
Sounds like the end was a 'mare, Tim.
It is a ride that evolves, it always has.
Every year brings new stuff to deal with.
While I was busy necking bubbles in the wee small hours in Whitstable, while you were cycling, I hadn't forgotten about any of you doing this ride.
I confess to there being an elephant of envy, on my part. That ^ pic sums it up very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

robjh

Legendary Member
An amazing night and a day. Seven of us left Hackney dead on 8 o'clock, and arrived at Dunwich around 5 - in my case spot on 5 o'clock. I've done night rides before but this was in a different league. I loved chasing down the darkened lanes with no sound but the hum of hubs and the swish of tyres on tarmac, and I hadn't anticipated the speed of the ride. I was also impressed by the roadside catering - we must have been slightly ahead of the peak crowds as I saw little sign of the queues that I'd heard about. The lentil soup at Sible Hedingham would have been worth riding 116 miles for any night of the year.
Aided by their CC jerseys I spotted @Andrew_Culture (looks just his avatar; I was the guy in Cambridge kit) somewhere near Wanstead, and @Trickedem (I should have recognised you sooner) at Sible Hedingham, as well as noticing a couple of other Fridays faces.

As opposed to the pace out to Dunwich, I'm still struggling to understand how it took 3 of us 9 hours for the 80 miles back to Cambridge. Granted, legs were tired and we dealt with 4 punctures, and we spent an inordinated time sitting on the steps of Stowmarket station while others in our group debated their options, it being clear the trains wouldn't have us (2 of them found a taxi that would take their bikes) - and then there were three. The next 90 minutes were the nadir as we followed a misleading GPS around in cold rain to the Maglia Rosso café at Hawstead where we started to nod off over coffee, but then home was in sight. I did just 201 miles from Hackney-Dunwich-home, then slept like a baby.

Can't wait for next year.

U

User10571

An amazing night and a day. Seven of us left Hackney dead on 8 o'clock, and arrived at Dunwich around 5 - in my case spot on 5 o'clock. I've done night rides before but this was in a different league. I loved chasing down the darkened lanes with no sound but the hum of hubs and the swish of tyres on tarmac, and I hadn't anticipated the speed of the ride. I was also impressed by the roadside catering - we must have been slightly ahead of the peak crowds as I saw little sign of the queues that I'd heard about. The lentil soup at Sible Hedingham would have been worth riding 116 miles for any night of the year.
Aided by their CC jerseys I spotted @Andrew_Culture (looks just his avatar; I was the guy in Cambridge kit) somewhere near Wanstead, and @Trickedem (I should have recognised you sooner) at Sible Hedingham, as well as noticing a couple of other Fridays faces.

As opposed to the pace out to Dunwich, I'm still struggling to understand how it took 3 of us 9 hours for the 80 miles back to Cambridge. Granted, legs were tired and we dealt with 4 punctures, and we spent an inordinated time sitting on the steps of Stowmarket station while others in our group debated their options, it being clear the trains wouldn't have us (2 of them found a taxi that would take their bikes) - and then there were three. The next 90 minutes were the nadir as we followed a misleading GPS around in cold rain to the Maglia Rosso café at Hawstead where we started to nod off over coffee, but then home was in sight. I did just 201 miles from Hackney-Dunwich-home, then slept like a baby.

Can't wait for next year.
Choice.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm so impressed with everyone, most notably @4F and @SimonJKH

The good humour and enthusiasm of @SimonJKH when I met him at a stop somewhere near Framlingham was just the pick me up I needed, a real tonic.

I'm quite happy to admit I totally blew out of my ass for this ride, the first dark moment happening at the worryingly early 40 mile mark. But did it put me off! No way, it was just the kick up the saddle I needed to get me obsessed about losing weight and getting fit again!

Please sir, can I have some more...

I only decided to go at 6pm on Saturday, so a quick tyre change I grabbed some food filled a couple of water bottles and headed off. It was about 7:45 when I left home and as it's about the distance from home as it is from London fields I picked the route up at Great Dunmow. As I was going to try a there and back ride I kept to a steady pace, the weather was perfect and it wasn't long before I arrived at the first food stop. Back on the road again a couple of times I thought I had gone off course as I hadn't seen anyone for a while.. I joined a couple who were going at a good pace and then the we grew into a bunch of about fifteen for the last 20 miles. We arrived at 3:45 to a busy car park and café. After a fine breakfast I took a photo of the sunrise. I set off at 5 and followed the route back to Dunmow, It was nice to see the places we had ridden through in darkness only a few hours ago. Unfortunately it started raining just after Needham Market and didn't stop until almost Great Dunmow. I arrived home at 3:30 tired but happy with 222.9 miles on the clock.

Top Bottom