Dunwich Dynamo 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guillefb

How far do you guys reckon I'd have to practice cycling before taking on the Dynamo? An actual 120 mile practice run? Or 80, 90?

Just ride often or commute to work and once or twice a week go progressively for longer distances. I don't think it's necessary to do a 120 mile ride before the event but maybe a 60 or 80 will be fine to fine tune your posture on the bike, clothes to wear etc.
Also learning how to ride within a group would be good and helpful and will make the ride safer for everyone.

I absolutely recommend the Dynamo. I a unique event and the nicest celebration of the bike I know.
This is my third year and I've convinced my two brothers to come from Madrid to ride it.

You'll love it!

U

User10571

How far do you guys reckon I'd have to practice cycling before taking on the Dynamo? An actual 120 mile practice run? Or 80, 90?
OK.
Another rule of thumb, in the forest of thumbs.
If you ride regularly and commute daily, whatever your weekly mileage is, you should be able (with the right nutrition / hydration) be able to complete this mileage in one hit.
IME I have seen this to be largely true.
If it has fallen over, it has been due to people errrr... falling over, mechanicals or some other condition which would've prevented them from doing the distance whichever way you cut it.

I wish you much luck, and hope that you get it together to do the Dun Run.

Oh, and annuver fing.
Don't succumb to peer pressure.
I returned to cycling, after a ~25yr absence, because I'd read about the Dun Run. It was the event that caused me to buy a bike.
That was 2 months before the ride in 2006.
Despite relentless and well meaning peer pressure, I refused to be drawn into the ride that year.
I wanted to enjoy it, as opposed to suffer it - I was struck by the magic of it which, despite having done it loads of times since (More than 7, less than 10 - I've lost count), I think is still there.
I really ought to grasp the mettle and give it another go.

You should too.

ETA: Make sure your return journey, however it manifests itself, is cast iron sorted. Anything less, can lead to a morning of disappointment.
With the capacity to pi§§ on the highlights of the night before...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ride regularly and commute daily, whatever your weekly mileage is, you should be able (with the right nutrition / hydration) be able to complete this mileage in one hit.
This was true for me. I was cycling every day and doing "longer" weekend rides (maximum 45 miles!! woohoo!!) and was just fine. Took my time, travelled at my own pace, ate and drank regularly, stopped to stretch a couple of times. It's magic. Sure, I was tired and a bit sore (mostly saddle-related) for a few days afterwards but that was totally cancelled out by the sheer euphoria.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
A certain rumour believed by people on this thread

notarace.gif

and by the organisers

is still being spread. Saying the Dun Run isn't a race is like saying commuting isn't a challenge. Fortunately the event is packed with people "just having a good time", which makes it easier to win. Or "win", as there are no prizes, other than the pride of beating people who sadly, couldn't care less.

This is my advice for serious competitors.

My advice for people "just having a good time" is to ignore my advice for serious competitors.

AlexB

Veteran
I've done it many times. The best advice I can give is to take your own food. The halfway food stop is usually packed, the food not great and you might queue for an hour and get no choice when you get to the counter.
I now take a small stove and reheat my own food in a quiet spot by the roadside. Combine that with a nice cup of tea and you really have no reason to stop at any of the "official" stops.

Brains

Legendary Member
Dun Run pre-loading
What is the suggested meal before the race, should i be stoking up with a massive meal of Pasta and Porrage ten minites before the off ?
Or is it better to just have a normal meal and then try and eat on the way ?

rb58

Enigma
It's not a race. It's an adventure. Just eat what you normally do before a long ride, don't try anything new. Little and often through the night.

Reactions: 4F
U

User10571

It's not a race. It's an adventure. Just eat what you normally do before a long ride, don't try anything new. Little and often through the night.
Ross has a good balance of it.....
An adventure.
Every time.

U

User10571

What time do most people start ?
Fast boys are generally away well before 20:00. They are the ones who'll pitch up at the Flora Tea Rooms at ~ 04:00 am - well before opening time.
Fat boys, generally, have a Chinese and another beer.
Most mortals leave, like the aafter (Dutch) dinner mint, after eight.
Departure has a momentum like bats leaving a cave.
Apologies and respect for paraphrasing the late, great, Barry's words.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm really looking forward to this year's dun run, it will be my third. The first I did with folk on fixies who were old enough to be my children, we did the first 70 miles averaging about 22mph, I was at peak fitness but that pace was a huge mistake.

Last year I did the ride with erupting wisdom teeth and fuelled myself with painkillers, it was still okay.

This year I wouldn't say I'm peak fitness but the atmosphere for the whole ride is so great I know it will carry me through.

Dun run is the highlight of my cycling life.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
If anyone is worried about getting stuck then you're welcome to kip at my house in Ipswich and saunter back to London on a later train on Sunday.

Last year I took the train back from Darsham, but that doesn't appear to be an option this year. I can see why abellio are being badass about not letting bikes on trains from Darsham but I do worry it's going to put a lot of people off. I don't envy the poor platform staff at Darsham on Sunday morning!

Top Bottom