e-cigarettes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Around 2-5 PPM by weight in a tatoe, 2-4 Mg in a typical ciggie strength session on a vape thing. You'd need to smoke 20,000 spuds to get the same dose of one typical e cig or real cig.

I think it's fair to say if you were Sat next to someone smoking 20,000 potatoes you'd soon get bored and go to bed.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Dose dependance is always the thing to remember. It's a risk-benefit thing too. No benefit accrues from vaping unless one is trying to stop smoking cigarettes.

tyred

Legendary Member
Around 2-5 PPM by weight in a tatoe, 2-4 Mg in a typical ciggie strength session on a vape thing. You'd need to smoke 20,000 spuds to get the same dose of one typical e cig or real cig.

I think it's fair to say if you were Sat next to someone smoking 20,000 potatoes you'd soon get bored and go to bed.

I tried that but a packet of Golden Virginia is much easier to carry around than 20,000 spuds andburns so much better.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hmmm. Hate to rain on the consensus parade, but while I totally agree with the basic 'your house your rules' principle, you seemed to be saying in msg 6 that your concern is with any kind of secondary smoking knock-on risk factor, and while it's true that vaping doesn't yet have a 100% all clear on that, I think you'd find a pretty strong consensus among people who know about such things that if there are any such risks, they're vanishingly small.

So, your house, your rules. If you really object, I'd say so. But you say you 'hate smoking'. But it isn't smoking. I would never let anyone smoke in my house. But vaping? It's odourless, it doesn't bother anyone (that I can see), and I really don't think the health risks, if any, are such as to worry about. If your concern genuinely is 'secondary vaping', I'd relax and live & let live. Personally. It's hard enough to rub along with in laws as it is - why add friction when you don't need to?

Grow a pair and tell him what's allowed in your house and what not. You don't have to justify it with reasons. If you do provide reasons they will be argued and debated and your decision will be weakened.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
... thing is I hate the look of the horrible things.

I keep thinking that I've stumbled upon some sort of nation wide penny whistle revival.

I think I'd be more comfortable with them if they were shaped like, say, tiny saxophones, or trumpets. Could they be made to make a swannee whistle noise upon inhalation?

But vaping? It's odourless, it doesn't bother anyone (that I can see), and I really don't think the health risks, if any, are such as to worry about.

I'm not sure that they're all odourless - lots seem to be quite agressively fruit scented, at least, on the basis of the vape clouds I've walked through in Manchester. The risks - well, we're in the midst of a giant, ongoing experiment at the moment about that, I guess.

vickster

Legendary Member
Experiment a bit like with cigarettes before the 60s (or whenever the evidence started to become damning)

JMAG

Über Member
They strike me as being a poor half measure. If you want to quit cigs then quit don't swap them for a ridiculous accessory.

Bit of a smug comment IMO. Do you have the same view about drug, alcohol, food dependency etc? Purely out of interest, are you a non smoker or an ex smoker? Ex smokers are usually the worst; I find it odd that people who once had a dependency should be so ignorant towards people who have dependency problems.

Vaping is a significantly less harmful alternative to smoking for many people, whilst for others it is a quit tool. I smoked for 30 years and whilst I wasn't a serial quitter, I did stop smoking a couple of times, once for nearly a year. I then stopped smoking 2 years ago when I started vaping. I am very happy for those who can just quit, but it doesn't mean everybody can easily achieve it. Bottom line is anything that helps people improve their health is a good thing in my view.

I also had other dependency problems some 15 years ago. I got it under control without any external help, but I would never suggest to anyone with a similar dependency problem that they should just quit because I did.

FWIW, I don't vape or fart in other people's houses or cars :smile:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm an ex smoker. I quit. It wasn't easy, but I wound down over a few days and then just stopped. Apart from cigars at weddings or christenings haven't touched on since.

Now, I don't have iron will or anything like that. I just really wanted to give up. From what I see around me vapers tend to be people who sort of want to quit smoking, but not enough to actually quit smoking. Its a means of prolonging the addiction while being able to pat themselves in the back and delude themselves as to how good they are.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Never started in the first place. Wife quit easily. My granddad quit easily and had no time for people who moaned about stopping, he'd say "its easy, you just stop" but then he was a hard nut who fought in the war and didn't piss about.
I suppose I just don't get addicted to things. Others may be different.

Top Bottom