Earthquake!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Been another this morning. 6.6 again near Perugia, close to last weeks. :-(
Felt from Rome to Ancona to Naples.

Flying to Rome and driving to Guilianova Lido Tuesday ....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Seems to be a big hit over there @Fab Foodie hope you and the wife are still far enough away. Just woke up put news on and it was the top headline.
Cheers. It's only me that gets this excitement. I'm flying to Rome in the morning and again heading for the Adriatic, but to get there is a fab drive across the spine of Italy, a road of spectacular viaducts and tunnels (the Gran Sasso tunnel is 10km long). I shall be taking it easy!

I see they are moving the victims of the latest quake to the Adriatic as well, so I assume it'll be safe enough.

robjh

Legendary Member
Cheers. It's only me that gets this excitement. I'm flying to Rome in the morning and again heading for the Adriatic, but to get there is a fab drive across the spine of Italy, a road of spectacular viaducts and tunnels (the Gran Sasso tunnel is 10km long). I shall be taking it easy!
I'm guessing that the Gran Sasso is far enough south to be out of the earthquake area.

I was looking at pictures of the terrible damage around Norcia, Preci and Castelluccio, which is one of my favourite areas from previous trips to Italy, but at least there were relatively few casualties this time, presumably as people were already taking precautions after the big quake in August.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I'm guessing that the Gran Sasso is far enough south to be out of the earthquake area.

I was looking at pictures of the terrible damage around Norcia, Preci and Castelluccio, which is one of my favourite areas from previous trips to Italy, but at least there were relatively few casualties this time, presumably as people were already taking precautions after the big quake in August.
Guessing? I'm banking on it!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
@Fab Foodie The Gran Sasso is right next to the earthquake area... Based on evacuation advice in August I would be prepared to take a diversion (south) if you are told to.

Thankfully there seems to have been few injuries and deaths* from these 3 quakes because sadly the area was already flattened in August and after the large foreshock on Wednesday and then biggie on Wednesday the Marche region (not sure what the other regions did but probably similar) put into place extensive evacuation plans. I experienced the quake in August FF, hope you're all right and safe journey. One of the sentinel 1 satellites is flying overhead today and that may bring more information as to the risk from a further quake from particularly the Mt Vettore or Mt Laga faults. The Laga fault is right next to the fault system of the Gran Sasso range!

*It's reported that someone died of a heartattack at the shock of the earthquake on Wednesday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

@Fab Foodie The Gran Sasso is right next to the earthquake area... Based on evacuation advice in August I would be prepared to take a diversion (south) if you are told to.

Thankfully there seems to have been few injuries and deaths* from these 3 quakes because sadly the area was already flattened in August and after the large foreshock on Wednesday and then biggie on Wednesday the Marche region (not sure what the other regions did but probably similar) put into place extensive evacuation plans. I experienced the quake in August FF, hope you're all right and safe journey. One of the sentinel 1 satellites is flying overhead today and that may bring more information as to the risk from a further quake from particularly the Mt Vettore or Mt Laga faults. The Laga fault is right next to the fault system of the Gran Sasso range!

*It's reported that someone died of a heartattack at the shock of the earthquake on Wednesday.
I'll make sure I take my heart-pills and move swiftly through the tunnel then!

Top Bottom