Emplyment law.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gromit

Über Member
Following on from my other thread http://cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=32007

Last Friday I went on the jobcentre plus website and search for outdoorsie type jobs, I found only one available doing grounds work company. I contacted them and he wanted to see me today. To cut a long story short, I was offered the job there and then. :smile:

I now need to resign from my current job of only a week and a day. Can I just hand in a letter and not turn up the next day or do I have to work my notice. Baring in mind that I have been lied to from day one and they wish to put me in danger.

Has anyone had any experiance of this. I would be grateful for any advices.

Maz

Guru
Great news on the new job, Gromit!

In the first instance, I think you should look at the terms/conditions of your employment and also speak to your manager about it.

Fella at my last job lasted all of 2 days. He clearly didn't want to stay so they let him go sharpish.

Good luck!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
The terms and conditions don't mean a thing if they don't apply to the job you are doing. Can't see how they can force you to work your notice under such conditions (i.e. having lied to you). But as a goodwill gesture I may do a week for them (assuming they are going to pay you and not screw you on that front too!!).

Good luck!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Bollox to them, wait until you have been paid and hand your letter in and don't bother going back the next day. There is bugger all they can do.

yello

Don't ever slam doors/burn bridges. It can be a small world sometimes.

Speak to your bosses and ask to leave earlier than your notice period. There's a chance that, under the circumstances, they'll let you go... or be so p*ssed off with you that they'll show you the door pronto!

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
In my contract it states that I have to give a months notice. I'm thinking of handing in a resignation letter and not turning into work next week, what the worst that can happen to me?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Just spoke to an employment lawyer friend who says simply hand in your notice, work a week and leave.

This is simply courtesy AND it helps if you ever have need to get a reference.

And most importantly, F*ing great news about the new job!! WTG!!:smile:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Gromit said:
In my contract it states that I have to give a months notice. I'm thinking of handing in a resignation letter and not turning into work next week, what the worst that can happen to me?

They cannot enforce a month due to such a short working period. A week tops but don't forget your holiday entitlement for the month and those 3 days you are feeling a bit sick :smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
1. Great news - very well done
2. If your letter of resignation is carefully worded you can leave without burning bridges
3. The real question is...how long are the new guys willing to wait?

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
dellzeqq said:
1. Great news - very well done
2. If your letter of resignation is carefully worded you can leave without burning bridges
3. The real question is...how long are the new guys willing to wait?

They would like me to start as soon a possible. As for burning bridges, I have had my fingers burned, so don't think I would ever apply for a job there again.

I'm thinking that I have got myself into a very sticky situation here and feel trapped. :biggrin:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Gromit said:
They would like me to start as soon a possible. As for burning bridges, I have had my fingers burned, so don't think I would ever apply for a job there again.

I'm thinking that I have got myself into a very sticky situation here and feel trapped. :biggrin:

You might not ever apply to the same organisation again but you might find yourself being interviewed in a different organisation by some one that moved on ahead of you.

I've been interviewed by the same person in two different roles for two different jobs in two different organisations. I was unlucky both times...

longers

Legendary Member
No advice from me but good luck in your new job Gromit.

I agree with yello about not burning bridges/slamming doors if you can help it, if you can't then so be it.

tdr1nka said:
New job should be happy for you to work your notice especially as it's only a week.
You haven't worked at new job long enough to have to work more than one weeks notice.

I thought this to.....are you still in a 'probationary' period...... It's usually 3 months or more....?

Well done with the new job....I hope this one will suit you much better!:biggrin:

Top Bottom