Enjoyment or addiction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The love affair or the cycling...? :whistle:
............the collar bone :laugh: Just getting going again now after a 3 month lay off.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Three months! Argh!! Must feel good to be back.
Yep..........it was a bad break and needed plated hence the long lay off. Shame I missed most of the summer but the speed I came off it could have been a broken neck so thankful for small mercies! Gradually building the distance back up slowly. Needless to say, I won't be going out tomorrow in gale force winds.

It's certainly a bit of a mixture for me. I go through phases of really enjoying it, then other times when it does feel like an absolute effort. Sometimes when I am out, I just want to get home, but when I am home I want to be out. Lol. I do know that even on days when it has felt hard, it still gives me a warm glow and feeling of achievement when I get in.

I think we all live for these days when the conditions are perfect and our legs are flowing reasonably effortlessly.........not that they seem to come along all that often!
This means you can do this,

bpsmith

Veteran
I dont see how enjoyment and addiction are mutually exclusive?

I have got really into it since starting last September. I have spent a lot on bikes and gear, but it's my only hobby, so don't feel ashamed in the slightest. Just about to get a Turbo so that I can carry on the addiction when not suitable outdoors. Turbo training does sound a lot more sinister than out in public mind you... ;)

moo

I dont see how enjoyment and addiction are mutually exclusive?

I have got really into it since starting last September. I have spent a lot on bikes and gear, but it's my only hobby, so don't feel ashamed in the slightest. Just about to get a Turbo so that I can carry on the addiction when not suitable outdoors. Turbo training does sound a lot more sinister than out in public mind you... ;)

Surely addiction is going outside regardless of the weather :smile: It's like when I used to smoke and walk 5 miles at 5am to buy more fags, having been biting my nails all night waiting for the nearest store to open.

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
Enjoyment is just going out and riding for fun. Addiction is pushing yourself constantly, looking for improvements and spending whatever money you have on it.

Considering I keep going for longer and harder rides with silly amounts of climbing, even a 20 mile spin is done as fast as I can, and I've spent enough on cycling this year to have bought a brand new car I think I fall into the latter category :blush:
Cant we have both? haha that so describes me :biggrin:

bpsmith

Veteran
Surely addiction is going outside regardless of the weather :smile: It's like when I used to smoke and walk 5 miles at 5am to buy more fags, having been biting my nails all night waiting for the nearest store to open.

Where's the enjoyment part come in though?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I don't think it is addictive :whistle:

not in the slightest.... :laugh:
Must admit, when my Dad phoned just before tea time to ask if I could take him to a morning optician appointment, afraid the first thing that crossed my mind was, damn I'm not going to get out for my ride in the morning. Lol. Only have time for a quick dog walk. Might grab a quick hour before lunch if the weather behaves.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
There is an addictive quality to exercise due to the release of endorphins.

To me this rings true .
A perfect Sunday for me would be a fry up , 70 miles on the bike and then a roast dinner ready when I get home . A few beers and an early night ready for work on Monday .
The problem is , I would probably puke up breakfast and then have to cook the roast dinner when I got home . Drinking the beer would never ever be a problem !

Top Bottom