Famous people wot went to your skool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Ted Heath, Frank Muir, Nik Turner off Hawkwind, Geoff Parsons off the Olympic high jump, Sean Kerly off the Olympic hockey... all before my time though.

The alumni section on my school's Wikipedia page also lists loads of people I've never heard of. The only contemporary of mine to feature in the list is local radio DJ Damian "Doc" Atherton. Not a great friend of mine. I once got a very snotty email from some jumped up Wikinazi for editing the page so his name linked to the Wikipedia page for "Vagina". Boo!

It also lists a racing driver I've never heard of called Jamie Davies. He must have been in the year below me, given his age, but I don't recall him.

A well-known popular beat combo, one of whom I played the recorder with in a consort group.

A well-known comedian, half of a comedy double-act and newly married to the host of a great TV quiz-show.

A well-known comic actor, star of a well-known TV sitcom.

A well-known conservative member of parliament.

One half of a well-known comic strip creation team.

What's s/he well known for?

Herr-B

None.

But the wife went to the same school as Dawn French whilst her dad was at RAF Leconfield. She doesn't mention it in her book though. Dawn, not the wife - she mentions it all the time.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Easy.

Tom Bailey of the Thompson Twins did a short stint as a supply teacher at the school I went to.

It was before my time though, and only a rumour.

Ha!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSg4xShVrZoGlsQw9OnGg15tk3JR2TVdZW3ciH6rS_F592OHedhvg.jpg

FFS.

No one famous went to our school. 'Notable alumni' on Wikipedia include a weather presenter, a glamour model, a javelin medallist, and two footballers. Only the first was there when I was (I think he must have been in the year below me), and at least two of the others hadn't been born by the time I left.

Actually, there was another footballer. In my year. Very talented, and scouted by two top teams, but got no further than the second team of the local club before he was dropped for his poor disciplinary record.

RiflemanSmith

I never went to secondary school after the first year:blush:

According to Wikipedia, lots of famouse people went there, but picking those that i recognise ...

Lord Reith - first Director-General of the BBC
W. H. Auden - poet
Benjamin Britten, Lord Britten of Aldeburgh - composer
Roderick Watkins - composer (was a pal of my brother)
Gawain Briars - British No. 1 squash player (a couple of years ahead of me, but I remember him)
Sir James Dyson - inventor and entrepreneur
Jeremy Bamber - convicted murderer (In the year ahead of me, always was a strange one)
Logie Bruce Lockhart - Scotland rugby footballer (my headmaster)

Not listed, but remembered, was a gifted musicial who went on to study under Yehudi Menuhin, but later died when the plane he was on was shot down by the russians in Korean Air Lines Flight 007 - Ian Powrie. A few years above me , but well known and liked.

ayceejay

Guru
I went to school with Sandra Hooper, the name may not mean anything to you but she was famous for having breasts when no one else did (boys or girls) they were a formative experience for me.

swansonj

Guru
I have now discovered yet another variant to the ancient English passtime of creating hierarchies between schools: those schools that have a separate Wikipedia page for their famous alumni, and those where the list of alumni is merely a subheading in the main article.

Top Bottom