Favourite Playstation 3 game?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

I've recently acquired one of these and have to say the last time I played on a console was back in Super Nintendo days. I got Little Big Planet with it, which is a fantastic game, but I'm looking to get something else. Anyone have any recommendations for great PS3 games?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Exclusive or cross platform 7th generation?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Just finished Resident Evil 5, my son and I play Call of duty 5 (usually hate first person shooters). Both great games but totally depends on what you like and whether you want to play online or offline, in groups or on your own.

Play Tiger woods with mates when battered after the pub and guitar hero/rock band is pretty good with a few people round.

What sort of games do you like?

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Wigsie said:
Just finished Resident Evil 5, my son and I play Call of duty 5 (usually hate first person shooters). Both great games but totally depends on what you like and whether you want to play online or offline, in groups or on your own.

Play Tiger woods with mates when battered after the pub and guitar hero/rock band is pretty good with a few people round.

What sort of games do you like?

Cool - for me, nearly every kind of game apart from Sports, I like!

marinyork

Right.

Bioshock.
GTA IV.
DMC4.
Burnout Paradise.
Formula One CE
UT3 (surprisingly all right on PS3).
Thought Golden Axe was quite a reasonable game.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

marinyork said:
Right.

Bioshock.
GTA IV.
DMC4.
Burnout Paradise.
Formula One CE
UT3 (surprisingly all right on PS3).
Thought Golden Axe was quite a reasonable game.

DMC4?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Not played mine for ages as the games I have are not 'child friendly' (i.e. swearing and killing stuff) so have to be aware of where my 5 year old is at all times.

Loved GTA IV for the ability to do pretty much whatever you wanted as there was no real 'fixed script' of how to play the game.

I also loved Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - another FPS that kept me occupied for ages with its missions. The ability to 'guide' and instruct your accomplices (controlled by the computer but going where you point them, and undertaking actions you specify etc.) was a novelty (well, for me at least, not really used to gaming) and an interesting twist.

Call of Duty 4 was pretty good, but over far too quickly, and seemed very easy for the most part.

I have Haze which I haven't played yet, and Resistance: Fall of Man which is utter crap. I also have GT 5: Prologue which (IMO) is dull and far too repetative... but then I never really was one for driving simulator type games.

marinyork

Nah, Devil May Cry is quite good for it's genre.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Call of Duty 4 was pretty good, but over far too quickly, and seemed very easy for the most part.

I agree, the campaign mode of COD4 was very short and in COD5 its only a few hours playing time longer, but they are online games really, thats when they become highly addictive and so much fun. You can lose entire evenings and suddenly realise the birds are singing and the sun is coming up!

I get a bit worried about how much I play it when my 2 year old runs round the house shouting "Recon Plane!!"

PrettyboyTim

I've been playing it on the PC, but Fallout 3 is a fantastic game. There's just so much to do, so much to explore and it's made with the typical Bethesda humour. In fact it's been pretty much devouring my gaming time at work (I work in the games industry and tend to spend a fair few of my lunchtimes gaming). There's a bunch of games I've been meaning to catch up on but I keep playing Fallout instead...

I also quite enjoyed the recent 'Band of Brothers' game on PS3, despite its mawkish attempts at making me care about the characters. It's a very tactical shooter - you tend to have a couple of fireteams that you can command around to flank enemies etc. If you imagine Full Spectrum Warrior set in WWII except that you actually control the squad commander with full FPS controls, you've pretty much got it.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

UPDATE:

I got Streetfighter 4 today on the way home...

I full expected to immediately rekindle (I hesitate to blow my trumpet, but what the hell!) my mastery of Streetfighter II back in my school days. Unfortunately...

...I've well and truly got my ass kicked 'online' by (no doubt) barely post-pubescent kids, cranked high on monosodium glutamate and with reactions and skill infinitely better than mine. GRRRRRRRR!

Quite good graphics and gameplay, tho.

Top Bottom