FFS - do we REALLY need such an app? Pathetic ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garethgas

To be honest, I haven't really looked in to the idea but this particular app seems a bit more functional and might be handy to have especially when I'm on deserted roads.
Having said that, I suppose I've managed up until now without one ^_^
However, I can see how it could be useful for many people.
These guys have spent a lot of time, thought and effort into it and to an app when it's aim is to help cyclists is a bit mean spirited.
If it ever does come out in an android version, I think I might well give it a go (depending on the reviews).

Leodis

Veteran
CYCLING IS NOT DANGEROUS ...

http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/14196

I beg to differ, said app would have found the cyclist who was missing from 1900-1030 whilst his family worried about his health.

Cycling is dangerous either made worse by traffic or rider error.

Leodis

Veteran
In absolute terms cycling is not dangerous. It is however increasingly perceived as dangerous, hence the helmets stuff and this sort of nonsense. Yes it would help one person once in a blue moon but the flip side outweighs it.

This is an option, no one is forcing you to use it. If I ride solo I run Endomodo on my phone so my wife knows where I am, there are far too many uninsured drivers (1.2 Million) who for selfish reasons would leave you to die in the road to save their own skin, least my wife can trace me and save time if anything did happen which might save my life.

If James had used an app who knows but its just an option for people.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
It's an extension of the "must carry dog tags with my blood group" philosophy.
Which is particularly dumb, as no hospital is going to give a blood transfusion without type matching.

crdf

I quite like the app but i don't think it's necessary for cycling. I think that any serious accident will most likely involve a motor vehicle, which legally they shouldn't leave in you in the gutter without checking that you're okay first.

A couple of years ago there was this case of a lady killing a man on a bike. The man was begging for money by playing a violin. When going home trough a dark unlit bridge (?), without having bike lights and reflective gear she hits him and runs away. The police found her and admitted it wasn't her fault, since he wasn't visible. So nothing!
What I don't understand is why wasn't she held responsible for running away from the scene! What if there was a chance to save him?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Not about its usefulness, I am sure that, if it is undamaged in the incident itself, it may well be very useful on very rare occasions. It is the unthinking fuelling of the perception of cycling as a dangerous activity that concerns me.

AKA Whatif-ery. (May also be prefixed with yebbut)

GC

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
This is an option, no one is forcing you to use it. If I ride solo I run Endomodo on my phone so my wife knows where I am, there are far too many uninsured drivers (1.2 Million) who for selfish reasons would leave you to die in the road to save their own skin, least my wife can trace me and save time if anything did happen which might save my life.

If James had used an app who knows but its just an option for people.
I ran Glympse for the duration of the Ride London and have used it for meeting up with my wife for the drive part of our joint commute. I wouldn't bother turning it on if I didn't know she might want to see though (so I wouldn't run it as a matter of course for all of the solo riding I do.) I might turn it on for the ride back from Brighton, but much more so she can see when I'm likely to shamble through the door all sweaty than out of some belief that she needs to know my exact location for safety purposes...

Top Bottom