FFS - do we REALLY need such an app? Pathetic ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
THe Icedot from Amazon... only £130

41fKZvlOZvL._SY300_.jpg

ICEdot is an emergency ID and notification service innovating safety technology for athletes and outdoor enthusiasts. ICEdot syncs a secure online profile with products such as a band, helmet stickers or it's latest product, the Crash Sensor. In Case Of Emergency, ICEdot has the ability share predesignated health and geolocation information over sms/text.

HovR

Über Member
Even ignoring the image of "cycling is dangerous" the app purveys, it's still a bit crap. If they'd included readings from the accelerometer it wouldn't go off every time you stopped for a puncture/cafe stop etc. Sounds like it would be more of a nuisance to be honest.

http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/14196

I beg to differ, said app would have found the cyclist who was missing from 1900-1030 whilst his family worried about his health.

Cycling is dangerous either made worse by traffic or rider error.

I think you are going up the wrong path here.

Firstly, cycling (as with walking or driving a car) carries some degree of risk. That does not mean that it is dangerous.

Secondly (and I do not feel overly comfortable using an actual fatal incident as an example but it is responding to your inclusion of it) the stupid app would only have helped to find the poor victim, not do anything about the incident itself.

We should and have to accept there is a degree of risk and do things to lower any risk (like not wear all black as reported in the above incident). But that is a long way from declaring an activity to be dangerous.

I for one really cannot stand this nanny state attitude. I usually leave my phone at home when out and about on my bike. I go out to get away from the world.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I usually leave my phone at home when out and about on my bike. I go out to get away from the world.
I take it (all my bangin' tunes are on it for a start) but I don't use it as a phone unless I need to.

Leodis

Veteran
I am less paranoid regarding digital technology. I cycle miles away from anywhere on country lanes not some suburb on flat well lit roads, if I crash I would rather someone could track me than be laying in a ditch for hours.

Each to their own I guess.

crdf

User I didnt mean to sound disrespective. I'm disgusted by the way the police handled he situation.
I'm paraphrasing what the journalist said. To me it sounded like They were trying to make his life/death sound incignificant. To be honest I feel quite angry with the whole situation. I feel the driver should hae been held responsible at least for running away. Isn't that illegal?

Top Bottom