Films that are rated and when you eventually

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I like Philip K. Dick very much, although his books have had mixed treatment from Total Recall, Minority Report to Blade Runner and some others.

Pulp Fiction is a great film. I didn't get it first time round (although I could see how funny it is), but it came alive on the second viewing.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Oh, c'mon, how can you not like the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Or (re an earlier post) Withnail & I?

marinyork

You didn't like Blade Runner, RT and User3143, have either of you read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

marinyork

Uncle Mort said:
But they are completely different beasts. I like both for different reasons, but the original story was short and to the point and the film is a sprawling expansion of the possibilities of the story.

It's very much the case with Heart Of Darkness/Apocalypse Now as well. And I think that, given the nature of the setting of the film, it's fitting that it's sprawling, overloaded, and often just messy. It's still amazing in parts.

Absolutely and I do think the same thing with HOD and Apocalypse Now too. I didn't like all the Philip K. Dick adaptations though, being a bit less on the taste and biased towards the era I'm not as critical about Total Recall as others are ;) and I didn't mind A Scanner Darkly which also came in for fairly heavy criticism. I think both formats are worth exploring.

girofan

What comes through to me from most of the opinions expressed here is that most do not like the Hollywood genre. May I suggest to those who like cinema generally that they look at one or two continental films of the past 30 years. There have been some wonderful cinematic delights. Don't like sub-titles? Learn to read!!
As for my Hollywood tastes: Bladerunner, with all it's faults is still better than anything produced in the last 20 years. ;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Arch said:
I liked Kill Bill more than other Taratino's I've seem, but some of that was that it was watching that film when I realised I have nicer looking feet than Uma Thurman...

Shallow? Moi?;)
Tarantini, surely ;)

Tetedelacourse

Casablanca is a favourite of mine, along with Twelve Angry Men for the script, acting and direction. Sunset Boulevard is a belter too, as is Psycho, Vertigo and Rear Window (possibly my all-time fave). City Lights is up there too.

Tonight I watched The Seventh Seal, Ingmar Bergman's playing chess with Death romp. Brilliant. Highly recommended by Tete!

FM I can see what you're saying about quality and impact on the film industry and the artform, but on a shallow level, nah didn't enjoy those I listed before, especially CK.

Wasn't too impressed with The Apartment - I bet you like that one too. Basically I think I need a happy ending otherwise I go away broody and depressed.

papercorn2000

A lot of younger folks see Star Wars and think - crap FX, silly haircuts etc. But imagine seeing it as a young child when no-one had ever made a film like that before!
Every kid I knew wanted to be Han Solo and fly an X-Wing fighter!

Then we got The Empire Strikes back - we were a bit older and appreciated the darkness and menace.

The they did that stupid film with the Teddy Bears and spoiled it.

Top Bottom