First live gigs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Roy Wood and Wizzard 1972, around the time of Ball Park Incident.

Shaun

Wow, this sounds so middle-class and uncool but.....
INXS, The X Factor World Tour - The Coliseum, Portland Oregon, 29th March 1991. (I had to look up the date.)
I grew up where the nearest live music venue of any kind was 3+ hours' drive away so this was a Very Big Deal for a girl from my town to travel to. I was 22. Michael Hutchence prowled the stage and gangways like a panther. I had no idea a song could sound other than the recorded studio version. Utterly changed my life.

(I saw INXS again a few years later. Rubbish album, rubbish gig. I walked out halfway through. Not that this restores any street cred, of course. :rolleyes:)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Anti Nazi League / Rock against Racism rally 1979.
We marched from somewhere in London to Brockwell park.
Aswad, Stiff Little Fingers,Verdict. Probably others too.

Elvis Costello, if I recall correctly. I slept through part of his set for some reason.

I remember the walk, it was 7 miles and I did it barefoot, and then walked 5 miles home.
I'm not sure why it seemed like a good idea to leave home for a long day without shoes or money, but what do more experienced adults know anyway

Not my first gig, but I was there too, I only wanted to The Tom Robinson band. I have a feeling that Sham 69 were there too but I'm not certain.

EDIT: "...,festival at Victoria Park in Hackney organized by RAR and the Anti-Nazi League, to counteract the growing wave of racist attacks in the UK.[7][8][9][10] The concert featured The Clash,[9][11][12]Buzzcocks, Steel Pulse, X-Ray Spex, The Ruts, Sham 69, Generation X and the Tom Robinson Band. '

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.

gaz71

Über Member
Deacon Blue at Hammersmith Odeon in the late 80s was my first.

Top Bottom