Fitted lights & bike reflectors... How 'legal' are we all really?

Which option best describes your lighting/reflector choice on your 'most used' bike?

• Fully BS approved lights front and/or rear. Pedal/Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Fully BS approved lights front and/or rear. Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Fully BS approved lights front and/or rear. No reflectors fitted.

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Non BS approved lights front and/or rear. Pedal/Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Non BS approved lights front and/or rear. Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Non BS approved lights front and/or rear. No reflectors fitted.

Votes: 35 34.7%
  • Reflectors fitted. No lights.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ninja... No lights. No reflectors fitted.

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The trick is to have the BS lights fitted and have a "backup" set that are worthwhile

That way you get decent lights and are legal
Only legal if the "worthwhile" set aren't horrible O-shaped beams that have to be aimed at the floor to avoid dazzling oncoming cyclists... by which point, you might as well have bought BS or K lights as a reasonable assurance that they're not O-shaped.

oldstrath

Über Member
Only legal if the "worthwhile" set aren't horrible O-shaped beams that have to be aimed at the floor to avoid dazzling oncoming cyclists... by which point, you might as well have bought BS or K lights as a reasonable assurance that they're not O-shaped.
Completely worthwhile in some circumstances when the equivalent of a car main beam is needed.

I cannot see how it is beyond the wit of bike light manufacturers for them to produce a light that mimicks that of a car headlight i.e. dipped and main beam, you then have a light suitable for both road and off road.

They do, but are not BS standard!

You can (as previously) use some as they have a German "K" stamp, and are willing to argue the point

Mine is the Ixon IQ Premium... note the beam pattern

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stealthtdi.com%2FForums%2FIxonIQP-Beam_HighComparo-800.gif

Also has a "dual" power system

It has 4 AA rechargeable batteries, but also a charging circuit

So you can recharge the batteries in situ with a charger, remove the batteries and use a normal charger, or finally (if touring?) ditch the rechargeables and use ordinary AA

It is bulky compared with some, but I like them

iu

They do, but are not BS standard!

You can (as previously) use some as they have a German "K" stamp, and are willing to argue the point

Mine is the Ixon IQ Premium... note the beam pattern

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stealthtdi.com%2FForums%2FIxonIQP-Beam_HighComparo-800.gif
Yes and no, I have been using German lights for the last 20 years and they do not produce one with a main beam, almost as if they do not trust their citizens to dip in response to oncoming traffic, so it is ok for cars but not for bikes, a bit of a dual standard there methinks, however , better than being blinded I suppose. The Ixon IQ Premium also does not have a main beam, it still has a cut off and the beam shots in your post clearly show that, in fact I think the wider of the 2 images is just 2 Premiums side by side, I could be wrong.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yes and no, I have been using German lights for the last 20 years and they do not produce one with a main beam, almost as if they do not trust their citizens to dip in response to oncoming traffic, so it is ok for cars but not for bikes, a bit of a dual standard there methinks, however , better than being blinded I suppose. The Ixon IQ Premium also does not have a main beam, it still has a cut off and the beam shots in your post clearly show that, in fact I think the wider of the 2 images is just 2 Premiums side by side, I could be wrong.
I've recently bought one of the Ixon IQ Premium and the wider beam shot shown above is what the beam pattern from my single lamp looks like. I think the narrower beam might be the older version as that's how I remember the one on the rickshaw looking.

You're right about the main beam though. It has a high and a low power setting but that's not the same as a dip and a main beam.

Impressed with it all the same and look forward to some good illumination down the dark lanes on my evening commutes.^_^

oldstrath

Über Member
That looks like a decent light :okay:
Optically it's very good as a dipped beam equivalent. The handlebar mount isn't really stable on my bars, but it works fine on a fork crown mount. The battery cover catch is somewhat on the feeble side (and has a reputation for breaking). This is a battery version of the Cyo dynamo light, which is both mechanically simpler and more robust. There's an element of bodge about it to my mind, but if you want this beam in a battery light it's probably the best on offer.

I do wish their standard allowed a main beam though. I know this wasn't possible with dynamo lights, but really the world has moved on.

It has two beams, low and high power... Equivalent to high and low beam in terms of intensity

Personally I always run a pair, one of each,then reverse on the way home

Ensures lighting for both trips

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It has two beams, low and high power... Equivalent to high and low beam in terms of intensity

Personally I always run a pair, one of each,then reverse on the way home

Ensures lighting for both trips
No, two different intensities but only 1 beam pattern - dipped. It's a great lamp but I'm with @totallyfixed on this and don't understand the lack of lamps with main and dipped beam patterns that you can easily switch between like on a motor vehicle.

No, two different intensities but only 1 beam pattern - dipped. It's a great lamp but I'm with @totallyfixed on this and don't understand the lack of lamps with main and dipped beam patterns that you can easily switch between like on a motor vehicle.

Hence the use of the words "in terms of intensity" no claim was ever mad for beam patten

Top Bottom