Compulsory Lights & Hi-viz.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
An MP in Eire has proposed that cyclists be legally obliged to have the above when out. Others in the UK have also backed said proposal, but as can be expected, it's been pretty much kicked into touch. After all, how on earth can it be enforced - ? :wacko:
However, the article did quote a 15 year Italian survey that concluded that the wearing of hi-viz and use of lights by cyclists actually made little difference to the number of cyclist / vehicle collisions. :whistle:

Slick

Guru
I saw that last night, but I reckoned it was clickbait to be honest.

https://road.cc/content/news/councillors-call-mandatory-hi-vis-all-cyclists-305825

classic33

Leg End Member
And what about compulsory helmets ...:boxing:
Already there, within Dublin City Limits. Along with mandatory use of the cycle lanes, and Hi-Vis.

Nenagh had the requirement for Daylight Running Lights years ago.

Notice they are calling for the use of lights on all scooters as well.

What Limerick City needs to do is get the traffic lights sorted and stop the double parking that happens every day.

We already have laws that make light compulsory at night

so - lets get enforcement for that one sorted out first before we try extending it

Oh - and while you are at it - enforce the close pass and mobile-phone-use laws

then start looking for other things that you can enforce??

Oh - and maybe include a quote from the relevant Police people on the cost

Drago

Legendary Member
Can't beat a bit of victim blaming, eh? They'll be mandating armoured chastity belts for any woman out at night in a short skirt next, or boxing practice helmets for any young men that could fall victim to a one-punch killing.

Make life difficult for the victim - it's muich easier that doing something to improve their lot for them. indeed, punishing the already law-abiding while doing nothing to address the real problem is a worryingly common tactic among British legislators as well.

If such stupid laws ever came here I will not comply - the dibble are too busy patrolling Facebook or Twitter for people who have said something unkind to worry about the 1.1 million uninsured car drivers, so the odds of them having time to hassle me seem low.

classic33

Leg End Member
We already have laws that make light compulsory at night

so - lets get enforcement for that one sorted out first before we try extending it

Oh - and while you are at it - enforce the close pass and mobile-phone-use laws

then start looking for other things that you can enforce??

Oh - and maybe include a quote from the relevant Police people on the cost
An Garda Síochána is very much behind the lights on bikes. However city and town councils can set additional requirements to national law.

The Staying alive at 1.5 didn't make it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just been into the centre of Manchester on my bicycle. Nothing to report except, when will the police do something about the hundreds of unregistered electric motorcycles that are posing as pedal cycles?

There's no pretence about it, they don't even turn the pedals as they accelerate through red lights on their way to speeds of around 30mph. It's blatent, but completely ignored. As has already been said, try enforcing some of the existing laws and rules that will make the roads safer before starting to introduce more.

An MP in Eire has proposed that cyclists be legally obliged to have the above when out. Others in the UK have also backed said proposal, but as can be expected, it's been pretty much kicked into touch. After all, how on earth can it be enforced - ? :wacko:
However, the article did quote a 15 year Italian survey that concluded that the wearing of hi-viz and use of lights by cyclists actually made little difference to the number of cyclist / vehicle collisions. :whistle:

If they are truly effective, they won't be able to see you if you're not complying, and if they do see you, you have the grounds of a defence of using a credible alternative. :okay:

Top Bottom