Compulsory Lights & Hi-viz.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Probably because they aren't nasty minded little turds?

And what make you think they were completely illegal? "Similar bikes" here is not referring to illegal electric bikes, since the scheme was about 9 or 10 years ago, and those hardly existed then.

The only reference I can find to anything like that this year wa in Oxford, where it was general cyclists who were being given "temporary lights" to get them home safely.
Speaking as the one who saw the bikes, and the lights being handed out to the riders, I can say that the bikes were totally illegal.

By virtue of the fact that no pedalling was being done by the riders to obtain momentum. Relying instead on an electric motor to provide propulsion.
It's hard to ride a bicycle, with pedal power alone, when both cranks are at the bottom of the stroke. Rider standing on both to allow forward vision.

Alex321

Veteran
Speaking as the one who saw the bikes, and the lights being handed out to the riders, I can say that the bikes were totally illegal.

By virtue of the fact that no pedalling was being done by the riders to obtain momentum. Relying instead on an electric motor to provide propulsion.
It's hard to ride a bicycle, with pedal power alone, when both cranks are at the bottom of the stroke. Rider standing on both to allow forward vision.

Fair enough. I couldn't find any reference to that happening in Leeds this year, so I assumed you were talking about the previous one a good few years ago.

I don't know if they actually have the power to confiscate the bikes, but if they do, it does seem rather surprising they weren't.

classic33

Leg End Member
Fair enough. I couldn't find any reference to that happening in Leeds this year, so I assumed you were talking about the previous one a good few years ago.

I don't know if they actually have the power to confiscate the bikes, but if they do, it does seem rather surprising they weren't.
They're an illegal vehicle. And just like every other illegal vehicle on the roads, they can seize them. If they feel like doing so.

Opposite Nando's, on the road widened for the tram system that never got built. You'll see the bikes there, every night.

DRM

Guru

Leeds is rammed with Just Eat & Deliveroo workers on illegal E-bikes, they're an absolute bloody nightmare on the pedestrian areas

classic33

Leg End Member
Doesn't mean that the Irish government don't pull the same tricks though, does it
No, but it's at a local level they want to start at, then try and get it to a national level. From there, they can lay claim to it being their idea.

As I posted earlier, Nenagh(population 9,000 approximately) had a daylight running light "scheme" for all vehicles. Ennis town councillors had a similar idea many years ago with the Hi-Vis. It petered out within a year.

Limerick City has bigger traffic issues than cyclists not wearing Hi-Vis.

DRM

Guru
No, but it's at a local level they want to start at, then try and get it to a national level. From there, they can lay claim to it being their idea.

As I posted earlier, Nenagh(population 9,000 approximately) had a daylight running light "scheme" for all vehicles. Ennis town councillors had a similar idea many years ago with the Hi-Vis. It petered out within a year.

Limerick City has bigger traffic issues than cyclists not wearing Hi-Vis.

To be fair it's worldwide with regard to traffic, i'm guessing like many old towns, they were never developed with cars in mind, just pedestrians and horse drawn traffic, but people just won't leave their cars & have to park as close as possible to their destination

Jameshow

Veteran
Look at how many replies this gets. The original article was obviously click bait

But I have lights, reflective tape, helmet and viz vest. But thats my choice. Not because some twat in an office thought it up in a coffee break..

Agreed dressing in Rapha black during winter is asking for a coffin.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Of course, but black must be contributing to that....

Nope, no evidence of that, in fact the opposite, hivis riders more likely to be hit.

This is how effective hiviz is when drivers aren’t paying attention.

1_copcarpoole2JPG.jpg

Top Bottom