Fixing into breeze blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BLUE(UK)

Like has been said before, drill in at different angles and just screw in lightly. It will hold unless it's something stupidly heavy.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you want to fix something big, use resin anchors. Don't foget to blow out the dust before squirting in the resin ( not into your own eyes! )
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-polyester-resin-175ml/53359

GM

Legendary Member
I would do what Andrew Culture has suggested, fix a piece of 20mm good quality ply about 1600mm x 800 with 75mm screws at 400mm centres, 7mm masonry bit and brown
rawl plugs. Then fix the bike rack to the board, you could put some hooks for tools as well. Or put a nice picture as a back drop.

subaqua

What’s the point
also depends if they are hollow blocks. cheap and nasty breeze block with most of it being 2 huge cavities were always my nightmare whem chopping in socket boxes. if the architect dims didn't land on the block centre it was a trip to the brickies for a lot of muck to set the box into then go back a few days later to put a screw fixing in.

thermalite blocks were great as you could set boxes into them with a stanley knife. grey aero my foreman spark used to call it

berty bassett

Legendary Member
you can tell if they are thermalite if they are a very light bluey grey , maybe got wavey lines on them and if you throw water at them it sucks up like a sponge . if they are then the ply method sounds great as they are a pig to get a fixing in - lovely to lay - you can rattle them in even cut them with a hand saw but they are horrible to live with - no fixing strength and crack everywhere - we now have to put expansion joints everywhere when laying them to try and stop the cracking ! worked on one house where the sparky was leathering the wall downstairs and other side of build and i could feel the wall i was working on moving

subaqua

What’s the point
you can tell if they are thermalite if they are a very light bluey grey , maybe got wavey lines on them and if you throw water at them it sucks up like a sponge . if they are then the ply method sounds great as they are a pig to get a fixing in - lovely to lay - you can rattle them in even cut them with a hand saw but they are horrible to live with - no fixing strength and crack everywhere - we now have to put expansion joints everywhere when laying them to try and stop the cracking ! worked on one house where the sparky was leathering the wall downstairs and other side of build and i could feel the wall i was working on moving

dunno why he was leathering the wall, as you say its soft and e3asy to cut. used to love final capping over cables on thermalite, toffee hammer to drive the clout nails in.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
dunno why he was leathering the wall, as you say its soft and e3asy to cut. used to love final capping over cables on thermalite, toffee hammer to drive the clout nails in.
blitzing a hole for a load of cables- he took a whole block out for a hand full of wire , the man was an animal who didn't own any hammer smaller than a 4 pound lump hammer - dont even think he used a chisel - dont think he had your finesse :smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
your very best bet would be to fix them to a different wall. Thermalites will turn to dust under pressure, and every time that you put a load on or take a load off the fixings you'll be turning more block in to dust.

If you must use this wall then I'd try and fix a plate to the front and back of the wall and fix though the plates

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
electricians have a rule book that says 'every hole to be drilled with a hammer'

paddy01

That's what I did, or rather just screwed into the joist a few of those large plastic covered hooks from B&Q

subaqua

What’s the point
electricians have a rule book that says 'every hole to be drilled with a hammer'
nah thats clankies and plumbers. when i started my apprenticeship the clankies had rawltools for forming screw holes as they couldn't be trusted with a power drill :smile:

Top Bottom