Forgot to vote

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If "None of The Above" is your opinion, the answer is simple.

Stand for election yourself.
One problem is that you may be led to believe that a good candidate will stand, only for something to happen that means they don't and by the time the candidates are published, it's too late to stand yourself. That's happened to me couple of times.

classic33

Leg End Member
There was an attempt by a One Of The Above to stand in the local elections, a few years ago.
Couldn't register the party name, so changed his.

There was an attempt by a One Of The Above to stand in the local elections, a few years ago.
Couldn't register the party name, so changed his.

Wikipedia

None Of The Above Zero was a candidate at the 2010 UK general election in Filton and Bradley Stoke. Previously known as Eric Mutch, he changed his name by deed poll to stand under that name. As candidates are listed by surname first he appeared on the ballot paper as "Zero, None Of The Above," in effect giving voters a none of the above option since had he been elected he would have resigned immediately.He came last with 172 votes.

classic33

Leg End Member
One problem is that you may be led to believe that a good candidate will stand, only for something to happen that means they don't and by the time the candidates are published, it's too late to stand yourself. That's happened to me couple of times.
Nothing to stop you standing though.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
none of the above should be an option but the box should also say "and I'm prepared to stand" . Then if nota wins, they'd draw out of a hat one of the volunteers - and if he didn't turn up etc he'd be fined.

That said in a mate's council constituency, the only canditates were I UKIp and 2 extreme right canditates. Any normal canditate be they independant or any mainstream party standing would presumably have sweeped in

classic33

Leg End Member
NOTA is a nonsense.

Apart from many parties being almost bankrupted by just the one election every five years, where will all the dynamic alternatives come from in the month or so till the next ballot? And one which a fed up public will turn out for in even fewer numbers.

It is just one of those oh so clever sixth form common room ideas, completely unworkable in the real world.
Who pays for the expenses claimed in these elections?
The same for everyone standing for the same seat. Just provide the receipts. Unwritten agreement not to challenge the returns of other party candidates.

stephec

Legendary Member
I missed it. I was late home. I usually turn up and have my argument about them writing the number of my voting slip against my name in the register and why they are doing it as it is a secret ballot.
I did intend to go and vote, but also obscure the number on the slip with the pencil.
I heard a new argument in the latest election.

Why do I have to use a pencil, I want to use a pen?

No, you have to use a pencil.

I want a pen.

No you can't use one.

This went on for a few minutes before he gave in.

Turns out it was a friend of a friend, he pressed on so hard as to leave a mark on the paper that would be visible even if his x was rubbed out.

classic33

Leg End Member
I heard a new argument in the latest election.

Why do I have to use a pencil, I want to use a pen?

No, you have to use a pencil.

I want a pen.

No you can't use one.

This went on for a few minutes before he gave in.

Turns out it was a friend of a friend, he pressed on so hard as to leave a mark on the paper that would be visible even if his x was rubbed out.
Best answer I've heard given, on the spot,
"When we can trust everyone to mark one box with an "X", we'll move onto pens. For now we'll play safe".
Said as they rounded the point down, "Don't want anyone injuring themself, do we?"

Top Bottom