Forum ride from Hebden Bridge to Waddington, Sun Jan 30th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Same with you Potts. Nice part of the world for riding innt?

Just starting to be able to feel my feet now though- Shaun had the right idea with them big 'ol boots.....

He nearly used those boots to kick a cars door in after it swerved into him on purpose
ohmy.gif

Talked about doing it again next month (the ride that is) not the door kicking
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Apologies for no contact, I have some friends and family stay over and got completely side-tracked about this. I will be lucky to get out during today even for a short blast but hope you guys enjoy your route and feedback on how the day went!

Kind of envious as the forecast was saying cloudy for today but I'm currently viewing the sun breaking through, hope you experience it at some point.

I think we saw the sun for a few minutes but it was pretty cloudy most of the time. Still, it didn't rain! It was cold at times but not bottle-freezing cold.

I'll catch you on another ride. Actually, you'll have to wait for me, but you know what I mean.

Good ride that. Got back an hour or so ago. The Jubbly held, and mercifully the chain pretty much stopped skipping(ish) by the time I got back toddy way. 75 miles for me all told, good ride for january that.

Cheers for a nice day out, good company and a good route. See ya next time.
Nice to see you again. I reckon the Tod way back for you was a nicer and easier route but Kevin (tubbycyclist) reckons that Haslingden, Bury was a good option. Can't see it myself!

Some feral kids in Padiham were shouting insults at us, and trying to throw sticks into our wheels. One of them threw something which hit me on my ankle, I didn't see what it was. It's depressing to see kids of 8 or 9 like that, and then wonder what the future holds for them and the people who cross their paths. I don't think I'd like to spill a drink belonging to one of them when he has muscles and testosterone coursing through his veins in 10 years time...

An idiot driver assaulted Shaun (bromptonfb) in Tod with his car! He deliberately swerved over to the left when overtaking and made light contact with Shaun's right knee. How do we know he meant to do it? Because he was sticking two fingers up at us at the time. Fortunately he didn't obey Shaun's bellowed request to pull over to discuss his actions - I think it would have got pretty heated!

I'm feeling tired and sore now. That route is relatively easy by the standards of some of mine, but I feel like I've done a longer, harder ride than I actually have. Still, a 57 mile undulating ride on a cold January day after 10 weeks off the bike, I can't complain at that!

It was nice to meet you Carl (Hicky). Have a think about the mini-North-West-Passage from Rochdale on 19th Feb. I'm not 100% sure that I'll be doing it, but if I can get a good few rides in before then, and the weather is now worse than today, I will.

Shaun suggested that we do that ride again, maybe in a month or so. We'll post details if we do.

He was last seen heading round to tubbycyclist's house for a cup of tea, after which he was tackling enough extra miles to get his monthly century ride in. He'd already ridden within about 3 miles of home on the way back to Hebden Bridge - you've got to be motivated to do that on a cold day!

cyclechatters%20country%20kitchen%20cafe%20jan%2030%202011.jpg

tubbycyclist

He nearly used those boots to kick a cars door in after it swerved into him on purpose
ohmy.gif

Talked about doing it again next month (the ride that is) not the door kicking
thumbsup.png

I hope the driver concerned was not malicious and that it was not a pre-planned act but he certainly made contact with Shaun's knee - appalling driving.

I like the idea of a regular slot for a ride. There is no way I am quick enough to hang on to the tail of any club run but it commits you to getting out there whatever the weather if you know you're going to let people down.
There is plenty of challenging riding round here but I am happy to travel to get some variety, especially if it means fewer hills ;-)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
hi guys,

got back about 1/2 hour ago. had me tea. garmin says i did 103.1 miles, not bad for this time of year. nice to meet you all, some again. dropped to -2.4 deg celsius on the way over whitworth.

aye dan, my big old boots did the trick.

gonna get in the shower now to try and defrost my ass cheeks.

i'll write some more later.

Hicky

Guru
Today= enjoyed!
It was cold(esp in Hebden) but no wind :thumbsup:
Nice to meet you all, Dan glad to hear the bike held up.

Them kids....idiots, I doubt if the parents were there it would have made any differance.
All through the ride there was some considered driving from almost everyone I thought.....I think a village may be missing someone.

Colin I'm working that weekend unfortunatly.

I checked my bike comp when we left the cafe and I made it 37miles from there to my house, I'd be surprised if Shaun didnt top 100.

potsy

Rambler
Fully recovered now after a good nights kip and last nights pizza.
All I can say is if that is a flat route for one of your rides Colin then I don't want to see a hilly one
ohmy.gif
I was doing my best to ignore the hills you were pointing out in the distance that you normally ride over, my granny ring and 25t has never been used so much in one ride before, though I enjoyed getting to the top of one long drag and seeing you a fair bit behind, I'm sure it will be the other way round next time.

Enjoyed the company, nice to meet a few new people Hicky, Tubby, and Dan-Bo (who from the waist down is the spitting image of Chris Hoy)
wink.gif
PaulB that is a seriously nice bike
thumbsup.png

Bromptonfb was often the pace-maker on his 'mans bike' well done on the first of your 12 centurys, shame you can't have a beer or 2 to celebrate
whistling.gif

Right, I'm about to get ready for todays commute with it's massive 200ft of climbing, ah bliss
biggrin.gif

BinBag

I think we saw the sun for a few minutes but it was pretty cloudy most of the time. Still, it didn't rain! It was cold at times but not bottle-freezing cold.

I'll catch you on another ride. Actually, you'll have to wait for me, but you know what I mean.

Nice to see you again. I reckon the Tod way back for you was a nicer and easier route but Kevin (tubbycyclist) reckons that Haslingden, Bury was a good option. Can't see it myself!

Some feral kids in Padiham were shouting insults at us, and trying to throw sticks into our wheels. One of them threw something which hit me on my ankle, I didn't see what it was. It's depressing to see kids of 8 or 9 like that, and then wonder what the future holds for them and the people who cross their paths. I don't think I'd like to spill a drink belonging to one of them when he has muscles and testosterone coursing through his veins in 10 years time...

An idiot driver assaulted Shaun (bromptonfb) in Tod with his car! He deliberately swerved over to the left when overtaking and made light contact with Shaun's right knee. How do we know he meant to do it? Because he was sticking two fingers up at us at the time. Fortunately he didn't obey Shaun's bellowed request to pull over to discuss his actions - I think it would have got pretty heated!

I'm feeling tired and sore now. That route is relatively easy by the standards of some of mine, but I feel like I've done a longer, harder ride than I actually have. Still, a 57 mile undulating ride on a cold January day after 10 weeks off the bike, I can't complain at that!

It was nice to meet you Carl (Hicky). Have a think about the mini-North-West-Passage from Rochdale on 19th Feb. I'm not 100% sure that I'll be doing it, but if I can get a good few rides in before then, and the weather is now worse than today, I will.

Shaun suggested that we do that ride again, maybe in a month or so. We'll post details if we do.

He was last seen heading round to tubbycyclist's house for a cup of tea, after which he was tackling enough extra miles to get his monthly century ride in. He'd already ridden within about 3 miles of home on the way back to Hebden Bridge - you've got to be motivated to do that on a cold day!

cyclechatters%20country%20kitchen%20cafe%20jan%2030%202011.jpg

I couldn't have made yesterday's anyway, but am deffo up for the next one! I'll keep an eye out on here for details.

Just one question....did you not all wear helmets?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I couldn't have made yesterday's anyway, but am deffo up for the next one! I'll keep an eye out on here for details.

Just one question....did you not all wear helmets?
All being well, we might be doing it again on Sunday 27th February and you'd be welcome to join us.

I noticed the helmet thing myself when I took that photo. PaulB and his lad Liam had left us earlier and they were wearing helmets. Dan_bo wasn't. I always do. That made 4 with helmets, and 4 without.

I'd say that normally there are more riders wearing helmets than not on my rides, or maybe 50-50. It's a personal choice. I've got superstitious about it now - it would just be my luck to do one ride without a helmet and that be the one where I end up going over the handlebars and headbutting something hard!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Fully recovered now after a good nights kip and last nights pizza.
I got restless leg syndrome last night. They were still trying to pedal while I was asleep! They are a bit stiff today, but not too bad.

All I can say is if that is a flat route for one of your rides Colin then I don't want to see a hilly one
ohmy.gif
I was doing my best to ignore the hills you were pointing out in the distance that you normally ride over, my granny ring and 25t has never been used so much in one ride before, though I enjoyed getting to the top of one long drag and seeing you a fair bit behind, I'm sure it will be the other way round next time.
Sorry Potsy, I couldn't resist... ;)

hilly%20and%20flattish%20profiles.gif

e
thumbsup.png

Bromptonfb was often the pace-maker on his 'mans bike' well done on the first of your 12 centurys, shame you can't have a beer or 2 to celebrate
whistling.gif
I managed 2 and then had to go to bed! (I haven't been properly tired for 3 months so it was quite a nice feeling.)

potsy

Rambler
I am hoping you've got those profiles mixed up and we actually did the hillier one yesterday, well I can dream
rolleyes.gif

My legs were a bit heavier than usual on todays commute, but not too bad. I slept well also last night, maybe that's the secret to your insomnia, a good bike ride every day
thumbsup.png

Further to our comments about riding home at 10pm and the chavs, I had something thrown at me tonight from a passing car, hit me on my side but I didn't flinch or wobble. I'd heard a guy stood outside a restaurant shout something as I think they'd just thrown something at him too.
Some people must lead very sad lives if that's where they get their fun from
wacko.gif

Top Bottom