Forum ride from Hebden Bridge to Waddington, Sun Jan 30th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
don't worry potsy,

mines done 162.summat miles hard commute this week and it's looks like she's done it too. i was going to clean her today, but it's still 2 degrees below freezing and i didn't fancy water getting into something and freezing solid. i'll be in hebden around 9.15 to 9.30 if you still fancy a brew.

i don't have anyones numbers, i'm on my 3rd phone in 12 months due to dropping/getting wet etc.

I'll aim to get there for similar time as I'm not sure exactly where I'm going, I'll read colins directions again and write them down. Meet you in car park if you want?
Does your number end in 421 or have you changed since then? Will PM you mine anyway.

I've chiselled about a kilo of mud off the inside of the guards and it's now looking somewhere near ready, just need to get some drink and snack bars now
thumbsup.png

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
yep that's the one, same sim card just no numbers. see you in morning. i'll be in the italian cafe just of the car park. having a nice big fry up.

Ajay

Veteran
Hey Colin
I've had to get my ride in today due to family commitments arising for tomorrow, so I wont be able to join you at Waddy.
Hope the weather's as glorious for you tomorrow (usual warning of frost/ice lurking in the shadows of the hedgerows/trees)
Have a great ride, hope to catch up with you guys soon.
Andrew

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Whoo, that's troubling. There's two reasons I would never cycle the devil's elbow; the first dead body I ever had to lay out was because he'd been in a crash on that the previous day. Lovely guy, chatting away to us in the anaesthetic room and we said we'd see him later as we were going to the canteen. While we were gone, he died as a result of his injuries. Secondly, tomorrow happens to be the anniversary of my jolly head/floor interface which banjaxed me to smithereens. I know lightning doesn't strike twice but sometimes it just might. But FYI, there was NO ice at all on the shaded descent you refer to as I've just been over there today.
That's a good reason for avoiding the Devil's Elbow! I've ridden it lots of times but I must admit that I never liked it, even before I found out about its bad accident record. Cars going by too fast, too close. One second you are doing 40 mph downhill on the bike with drivers behind you trying to go even faster, then suddenly you come out of the dip round the bend and lose all your speed but the cars don't - not a good scenario!

Okay, I'll trust your lack-of-ice report. No rain is forecast tonight so if it is clear today, it should be clear tomorrow too. Back to plan A - the scenic detour.

Wow! I just reminded myself on Google Streetview how nice that scenic detour is (and how busy the A-road is at the end of it). The Old Roman Road is really pretty and a much nicer route than the A671.

Hey Colin
I've had to get my ride in today due to family commitments arising for tomorrow, so I wont be able to join you at Waddy.
Hope the weather's as glorious for you tomorrow (usual warning of frost/ice lurking in the shadows of the hedgerows/trees)
Have a great ride, hope to catch up with you guys soon.
Andrew
Oh well, family come first - yes, catch you on another one! We usually come out to the Ribble Valley several times a year on CycleChat rides.

Hicky

Guru
Ok, if you spot a bloke on a black sirrus with rear rack and black helmet looking lost on the road from Tod to Hebden or wandering around Hebden(I've never been there) put him out of his misery and say hello please.

I know its is short notice but I'm in.
Colin, I've sent you a pm.(probably too late now I realise)

potsy

Rambler
Ok, if you spot a bloke on a black sirrus with rear rack and black helmet looking lost on the road from Tod to Hebden or wandering around Hebden(I've never been there) put him out of his misery and say hello please.

We'll look out for you Hicky
thumbsup.png

I've never been there either, I'm relying on Sat Nav to get me to the car park
wacko.gif

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed

if you see a fat bloke with winter walking boots riding a cx with skinny tyres, hollow, that'll be me riding into hebden. i'll probably wear my red winter fleece jacket tomorrow, no helmet.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Hicky. I've only just come back online so I just read your PM.

It's an easy ride from Rochdale to Hebden via Tod. It's much tougher when you go via Blackstone Edge, Cragg Vale & Mytholmroyd because that way there is a whacking great big hill to get over.

There's no way to get lost coming the way you are. It's literally straight down the road from Littleborough to Tod (with just a small rise on the way over Summit, which doesn't live up to its name). In Tod, you just go right on the A646 at the roundabout, then it's 4 miles to Hebden Bridge. If you can't find the car park yourself, just ask a local where the Wed/Thu markets are held - it's the same car park (hence the name).

I've never been there either, I'm relying on Sat Nav to get me to the car park
wacko.gif
Well you will definitely get lost then! ;)

See you chaps in the morning.

Paul - where do you plan to meet us?

Hop3y - did you decide to join us and if so, where will you meet us?

potsy

Rambler
I have full faith in my TomTom to get me there, if that fails I have google maps on my phone just need to work out how to use it first
rolleyes.gif

See you all tomorow.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Whins Lane. What time do you reckon you'll cross the Padiham bypass? We'll be somewhere near that garden centre en-route to Sabden/Whalley
You just caught me! Er, roughly 11:30-11:40? If we get to the garden centre and you are not there, I'll text you (bit low on credit to chat).

Right, I must get ready. See you soon.

Garz

Squat Member
Apologies for no contact, I have some friends and family stay over and got completely side-tracked about this. I will be lucky to get out during today even for a short blast but hope you guys enjoy your route and feedback on how the day went!

Kind of envious as the forecast was saying cloudy for today but I'm currently viewing the sun breaking through, hope you experience it at some point.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Good ride that. Got back an hour or so ago. The Jubbly held, and mercifully the chain pretty much stopped skipping(ish) by the time I got back toddy way. 75 miles for me all told, good ride for january that.

Cheers for a nice day out, good company and a good route. See ya next time.

Top Bottom