England : West Yorkshire Forum ride - Hebden Bridge to Otley, 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
STASS - I'd certainly like to go back to that cafe again and actually do the Chevin next time. I've just edited the original route to make it shorter and slightly easier... That takes 3 tough climbs out for the cost of 1 back in (the Chevin) and reduces the distance to 89 km (55 miles).

Well if you added 11 (flat :thumbsup:) km to that route, Colin, you've got yourself another metric century ride sorted! :thanks:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well if you added 11 (flat :thumbsup:) km to that route, Colin, you've got yourself another metric century ride sorted! :thanks:
Where to find them though ... :whistle:

It'd be easy to do 11 km round the 'car parks loop' or up and down the main road to Halifax or Todmorden but finding a flattish 11 km that fits naturally into that route is (almost?) impossible.

I think I'll do an easier 100 km ride in August and settle for a shorter forum ride!

Where to find them though ... :whistle:

Well, if you did want to add 11km and kill two birds, how about:

From the top of the East Chevin road turn left towards Bramhope then head south towards Cookridge but taking the minor roads that skirt the northern edge of the airport, cross the A658 and head through East Carlton. Turn left at the T junction to join the original route at the top of East Chevin road. I think that would add about 7 miles.

Of course, I have absolutely no knowledge of those roads. Although there's nothing outrageously steep on them, you may be aware of a perfectly good reason for avoiding them (aircraft noise, perhaps? I SAID, AIRCRAFT NOISE, PERHAPS?) Nor have I any special interest in doing the extra miles. Like you (I think) I just happen to like looking at maps. Whether or not you decide to incorporate the delights or otherwise of the outskirts of Bramhope and the fleshpots of East Carlton I hope I'll be able to join you on your next courageous expedition in search of the perilous and much-fabled Chevin.

aJohnson

Sorry to hear that, I've just had flu but luckily it wasn't too bad.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was just browsing around my old forum ride threads and found this again ...
I had probably the hardest time today of any of my forum rides and I came within a gnat's whisker of bonking after Menston.
I think I'll do an easier 100 km ride in August and settle for a shorter forum ride!
[August ride] Sorry - no way! A chest infection has kept me off the bike for nearly 3 weeks so far. It will be at least a couple of weeks before I am riding significant distances again, maybe longer. Ho hum ...
In fact, the rest was very nearly history - GWS ColinJ! :eek:

One day, I'll get together for another forum ride with my CycleChat gang again. My bike and I have unfinished business with the local hills! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom