England : West Yorkshire Forum ride - Hebden Bridge to Otley, 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dr_pink

There's a nice tasty photo there! (will let you guess which one I mean...)

Looks like we missed a good ride with some proper hills :sad:

potsy

Rambler
A bit male dominated Colin, was it something you said?
It wasn't a ride for girls TF :whistle:

*runs before Dr pink turns up*

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds like you had a good ride Paul and get well soon Shaun. :hello:

tf - yes, I can't quite see what it was about the route that put female riders off. Perhaps the same thing that should have put me off? :whistle:

STASS - I'd certainly like to go back to that cafe again and actually do the Chevin next time. I've just edited the original route to make it shorter and slightly easier - where we turned left at the mini-roundabout in Oxenhope we could carry on down into Keighley. That would skip the climb to Oakworth and the one from Goose Eye. We could take the nice lane above Utley from Keighley to Steeton that is used on the Red Rose Ride. Another obvious thing to do would be to skip Beamsley and Langbar by turning right after the lane from the Wharfe footbridge rather than left. From Otley, take the Chevin to Menston, and then come back the way we did on Sunday. That takes 3 tough climbs out for the cost of 1 back in (the Chevin) and reduces the distance to 89 km (55 miles).

We did 94 km (58.4 miles) and the average speed was reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy slow! Your stats would be severely skewed by the amount of time you spent waiting for me. You can work out your average speed including the stops pretty easily if you can remember what time we got back. I'll post a map of the actual route taken tomorrow.

The hill climb signs we encountered (including the 'Murder Mile' sign in one of the photos) were for the Bronte sportive which had covered a lot of the same roads ahead of us that day. Apparently they had descended the Chevin on the loose chippings so many of them were the terrified riders that the workmen told us about! Event site link.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Where's Colin? :unsure:
I've been 'Billed'! As in mate from Tenerife turned up, soaking wet on his bike. I had to stick his stuff through the spin drier and tumble drier and chat to him until it stopped raining long enough for him to ride back. (To his sister's house, not Tenerife!)

Something strange happened there - I saw two of your posts with different cat picture avatars at the same time. Obviously the page didn't refresh itself completely when I made my last post.

dr_pink

It wasn't a ride for girls TF :whistle:

*runs before Dr pink turns up*
what are you up to on August 19th Potsy - fancy coming to stay? Nice little hill climb comp near us that day (Newark Castle hill climb on Terrace Hill) Should be a doddle for you after all those steep hills up north this weekend ;)

This is post forum ride food for the nice people
Helly039.jpg

Top Bottom