England : West Yorkshire Forum ride: Hebden Bridge to Wharfedale, bank holiday Monday (May 26th)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve H

Large Member
I have to apologise in advance. After much fettling, I have been unsuccessful in eliminating all the creaks from my bike. Maybe it is my knees! I hope I don't scare off the lovely wildlife on this glorious day!

See you in just over an hour

Damn I'd forgotten all about this thread, and I probably could have made it today as well, although yesterdays run is lying heavy in my legs :sad:

May the road rise up to meet you, and may the wind be ever at your back.

Ride safe and have a great day guys :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Done!

Steve's creaky bike turned out to be terminally ill! It was getting worse so he turned back after less than an hour. I got a text from him soon afterwards saying that his bike now freewheels in both directions ... :whistle:

No rain all day, and lots of sunshine! We had black clouds a couple of times but we stayed dry.

More later - I am off to soak in the bath.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am feeling pretty tired now, but I only got about 4.5 hours sleep last night so that isn't surprising! I think I will just watch the Giro highlights and try to get to bed before midnight for a change. I will post a few photos up tomorrow.

Steve H

Large Member
Apologies once again for my very brief appearance!

Not sure exactly what the problem is, but the hub on my rear wheel went completely. I'd got about 4 miles from when I left you guys before it decided to completely cave in! Had to phone the wife for a pick up and transport home. Sat on a bench looking at some gorgeous countryside for about 45 minutes waiting for her to come to pick me up.

Anyway - I've put on my spare rear wheel and no surprise the bike is once again creak-free! Going out for a spin later this evening to ensure all is well again. Will then need to take my main wheel in to be checked out.

Glad you all had a good day.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It will probably be tomorrow before I check my photos and write a bit more.

Apologies once again for my very brief appearance!

Not sure exactly what the problem is, but the hub on my rear wheel went completely. I'd got about 4 miles from when I left you guys before it decided to completely cave in! Had to phone the wife for a pick up and transport home. Sat on a bench looking at some gorgeous countryside for about 45 minutes waiting for her to come to pick me up.

Anyway - I've put on my spare rear wheel and no surprise the bike is once again creak-free! Going out for a spin later this evening to ensure all is well again. Will then need to take my main wheel in to be checked out.

Glad you all had a good day.
Make sure it is in perfect working order for the ride on June 7th! (We will be a long way from 'civilisation' at a couple of points and I would bet that there will be no mobile signal or call boxes for miles if something serious goes wrong out there!) :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Too much to do at the moment, so briefly ... A nice scenic route, but damn tough in places!

Nice to see Steve H again, but more bike maintenance required! Just to prove that he did actually turn up ...

Little, Large, Larger and Largest! (L-R: Steampig, my tiny pal Carrie, Me (ColinJ), Steve ("I've got a bike, and I'm gonna break it") H)
Little large larger and largest.jpg

There were some hard hills to climb so I was glad that I had seen sense and was riding my low-geared Basso.

Yorkshire Dales in the distance.
Yorkshire Dales in the distance.jpg

The cafe was rather busy in Burnsall, but the village shop next door did coffee for a pound and had flapjack, cake etc at affordable prices, so we stocked up there and sat on the grass in front of the shop.

Steampig fell off his bike on a steep climb after Appletreewick when another cyclist went flying past unannounced. Fortunately he was not hurt!

I took the customary picture in front of the spooky tree!
Spooky tree revisited.jpg

It was nice to meet Steampig. He was pushing his boundaries a bit and cramped up badly towards the end, so we said goodbye in Steeton before I, Kestevan and Carrie hit the hills again on a tough climb to Red Car Tarn. As she had been doing all ride, Carrie shot off up the hill and we didn't see her again until we got to the Tarn! (I must have a word with her, because a couple of times she got way ahead and rode straight past turns that we would be taking and we had to go looking for her ...)

Carrie at Red Car Tarn
Carrie at Red Car Tarn.jpg

Carrie left us at Haworth, and Kestevan and I rode back over the hill to Hebden Bridge together.

Thanks all - I enjoyed the ride! :hello:

Top Bottom