Free Community Rides Organised throughout the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tanya5

Hi all,

Just something you might be interested in: Every Sunday throughout the summer Sky and British Cycling are putting on a program of local rides taking place in London, Manchester, Glasgow and Leicester – Local Skyrides. The rides are absolutely free of charge and are led by trained British Cycling Ride Leaders – who are on hand to guide you and a small group along the route, and to offer any assistance.

The rides vary in distance and difficulty, and you can select a route that is right for you: there are fun rides perfect to bring the kids along, rides aimed at getting you more confident on the saddle, and serious rides for experienced cyclists.

All routes are designed to take in points of interest all over town, so there’s plenty to see and do.

Weekly rides start in July and run until October. You can find information on the upcoming rides and register for a ride using the Events Calendar here: http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/skyride/local/events

Also, general information on Skyrides Local is available here http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/skyride/local

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
tanya - I wish you well with these, and hope that you get loads and loads of riders, but, as User said, you've set yourself up in such a way that you're going to judged against the vast number of free rides that take place every weekend, and you've managed, by some wierd fluke, to use a lot of other people's routes and meeting places. BC is behaving a little like the SWP.

Good luck with the Wandle Path one, though. If it rains, call it off....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
internecine strife, turf wars, and politicking is hardly new in UK cycling ruling circles though is it? Great head shaking and chuckling chapter about it on Bob Chickens biography (which I got for £5 in our local Book ends)

no use to me I don't live in London, Manchester or Glasgow.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, in fairness, the LCC and the CTC seem to rub along just fine - and LCC members turn up and lead CTC rides, and vice versa. And the CTC National Office gets along famously with the LCC HQ. A good deal of the FNRttC crowd are LCC members, and that may be in part because LCC groups publicise the rides.

BC sent out a letter to CTC sections asking for ride routes, published them without acknowledgement, let alone contact details. I hope they do well, but it strikes me as just a little bit icky...

I've been asked to do a series of local history bike rides in Leicester. But I've got to do a course to tell me how to run them. I've been organising and running rides and events for 15 years and have all the necessary risk assessments, insurance and health and safety policies in place. It is, afterall a large part of my job.

But still I have to go on a course.

So I ain't doing them.

And neither are a lot of other people, which is a shame.

Top Bottom