FNRttC Friday Night Ride to......Brighton on Friday 17th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

I only recall one other really bad tyre incident, which was just before the Dartford crossing services (so probably a Southend ride), where about half a dozen TECs, including Charlotte and Simon, kept on repairing a tyre, only to find a hole appearing almost immediately. The tyre was inspect three or four times for whatever was causing it, and I think five or six inner tubes ended up being sacrificed before defeat was admitted, and a taxi was called out.

If memory serves (and it was a while ago - so no guarantees) it was Charlotte, Adrian & myself getting through more tubes than I use socks in a week.
I cannot remember who the perforated one was, but I think he headed for Grays for a first train back, whereupon we headed for the delights of the Thurrock Services.

TimO

Guru
If memory serves (and it was a while ago - so no guarantees) it was Charlotte, Adrian & myself getting through more tubes than I use socks in a week. ...
I think I donated a tube to the process, and then decided there were more than enough cooks, so I was unneeded. I then promptly had a puncture myself, but still managed to repair it and get to the services before you all arrived !

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hmm. I can't do both this AND the Swansea ride the week after. I'm considering defecting.
20045911582416057.jpg

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Time for a list:

Adam B
Adrian C
Amy H
Andrew B
Anne M
Dan H
David F
David J
David P
David S
Gary B
Geoff S
Graeme G
Greg T
Ian M
Izzy H
Jacquie D
James H
Jenny M
John M
John M
John S
Kristjan K
Mark G
Martin W
Martin W
Michele B
Nick L
Nigel C
Paul C
Paul E
Peter W
Rob H
Ross C
Simon C
Sonia W
Sophie W
Stephen O
Stephen W
Steve R
Stuart A
Stuart G
Tim H
Timothy O
Tom M

There'll be an email wafting its way to your Inbox some time soon.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
How are your Brompton wheel and your Marathon Plus removal/re-fitting fus
You and other putative TECs can stand down your worry - the Brompton isn't coming. I took it out for a brief spin this afternoon during which the gear cable first popped out of its seating several times and then snapped half way up a hill. Fortunately there was only a three-quarter-mile walk home.

The 8-speed adjustment system makes the 3-speed look like a bit of over-engineering - a nut arrangement is attached to the end of the gear cable and snaps into a notch on the hub. The gear knob on the handlebars simply pulls the notch fore and aft. There's a groove in the hub which I suspect I'd managed to miss, so the cable was probably wrapped round a sharp bit of the hub rather than around the groove.

Which is deeply annoying. I had planned to put my hub dynamo front wheel onto my road bike as a fallback - but the faff with the Brompton meant that I had no time to do that.

StuartG

slower but further
- the Brompton isn't coming. I took it out for a brief spin this afternoon during which the gear cable first popped out of its seating several times and then snapped half way up a hill. Fortunately there was only a three-quarter-mile walk home. The 8-speed adjustment system makes the 3-speed look like a bit of over-engineering.
Except 3 working gears beats 8 non-working any day :ohmy:

But is 3 enough for me on Ditchling? Even if it would make the train return easier? Difficult question but the current answer is probably not. So a proper bike here methinks.

BTW I'm surprised it didn't 'fail-safe'. When my SA lost the nut (equivalent to losing your gear cable) it did reduce me to single speed. Enough to get me the last 40/50 miles to Paris ...

Last edited:

Tim Hall

Except 3 working gears beats 8 non-working any day :ohmy:

But is 3 enough for me on Ditchling? Even if it would make the train return easier? Difficult question but the current answer is probably not. So a proper bike here methinks.

BTW I'm surprised it didn't 'fail-safe'. When my SA lost the nut (equivalent to losing your gear cable) it did reduce me to single speed. Enough to get me the last 40/50 miles to Paris ...
One gear is enough for Ditchling if it's the right one.

StuartG

slower but further
Or, failing that, a 24" gear.
Nope no good. While I could get up Ditchling on a 24" there's no way I could peddle fast enough TO Ditchling on one!

Tim Hall

I think Adrian is referring to that old favourite, a 24" gear, or, in other words, 2' (two feet - walking).
I tried explaining this concept to my scouts at the weekend. This was somewhat tricky, as they were brought up on a diet of centimetres and kilogrammes and other new fangled nonsense.

Top Bottom