FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - 16th May 2014, York to Hull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
High pressure system, and an almost (if not full) full moon, then who needs lights?

Get out in to the pitch black, quiet lanes and turn them off.

High pressure system, and an almost (if not full) full moon, then who needs lights?

Get out in to the pitch black, quiet lanes and turn them off.
Which, just to remind folks, on this particular ride happens in a mere blink of an eye. The distance from the Minster to country lanes is so short it can even be ridden with a fractured left radial head, just, as has been empirically proved by yours truly. Although that particular manner of riding it isn't one I'd recommend...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just got accomodation sorted out. Dropped the mates an email yesterday to check everything was OK for my visit. Rang 'em today...not quite. They're both running around trying to sort various work and travel problems out, so they'd clean forgotten about me and really not a good time to come visit. Boo! But after a trawl of various websites, accomodation for two nights sorted out- funnily enough still in Tollerton (better option than booking another train ticket and not getting a refund on the return I had anyway) and I'll be meeting up with the lovely Jen on Saturday. Hooray!

[QUOTE 3072179, member: 10119"]And to repeat - those wanting a spot to lurk post or indeed pre-ride are welcome round the Den.[/QUOTE]
I'll take you up on that pre-ride if I may :hello:.

Coming back from Hull - eeh, I'm a bit spoiled for choice. Train straight to Leeds - nah, too easy. I'll ride back at least a good chunk - Goole? Selby (probably - hills between there and Leeds are easier)? Or York? Take it as it comes :smile:

[QUOTE 3072179, member: 10119"]And to repeat - those wanting a spot to lurk post or indeed pre-ride are welcome round the Den. Coffee and tea and spots to doze available. Potentially some macc+cheese or similar. About a mile from the Minster :smile:[/QUOTE]

Ooh, might take you up on that if it's ok - I'm getting in to York around 9.30 so will have some time to kill.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Coming back from Hull - eeh, I'm a bit spoiled for choice. Train straight to Leeds - nah, too easy. I'll ride back at least a good chunk - Goole? Selby (probably - hills between there and Leeds are easier)? Or York? Take it as it comes :smile:
Not the best train service from Goole to Leeds. Heading to Selby would give you 2 trains an hour as apposed to 1 a day from Goole(direct) :thumbsup:

Not the best train service from Goole to Leeds.
Lordy me - thanks for the heads up about Goole; just been and checked - it'd need fairly "creative" use of connections to get back to Leeds :ohmy:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Lordy me - thanks for the heads up about Goole; just been and checked - it'd need fairly "creative" use of connections to get back to Leeds :ohmy:
During the day you need to either go via Doncaster, or back to Brough :sad: either way its a PITA
Thinking about it though, there's actually 2 a day from Goole direct to Leeds. There used to be 3, but the mid day one (approx 2pm from Goole) was stopped quite a few years back. I was once working the train on a Saturday evening from Goole to Leeds & some Gooligans had got on by mistake (they were heading for Doncaster) they were going to get off at the first stop (Rawcliffe) & get the next train back. That was until they were told the next one back to Goole was Monday lunchtime :laugh:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
During the day you need to either go via Doncaster, or back to Brough :sad: either way its a PITA
Thinking about it though, there's actually 2 a day from Goole direct to Leeds. There used to be 3, but the mid day one (approx 2pm from Goole) was stopped quite a few years back. I was once working the train on a Saturday evening from Goole to Leeds & some Gooligans had got on by mistake (they were heading for Doncaster) they were going to get off at the first stop (Rawcliffe) & get the next train back. That was until they were told the next one back to Goole was Monday lunchtime :laugh:

Careful what you're saying about Gooligans; you don't know where you might bump into one.

Anyway, is it possible to get a train direct to Leeds from Gilberdyke or North Howden or Wressle? They're all on a fairly direct route between Hull & Leeds.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Careful what you're saying about Gooligans; you don't know where you might bump into one.

Anyway, is it possible to get a train direct to Leeds from Gilberdyke or North Howden or Wressle? They're all on a fairly direct route between Hull & Leeds.

Dont think there is a direct one from Gilberdyke, unless an early morning/late TPE service stops there.
There's a couple of TPE services that stop at Howden, both early morning & I dont think there's any direct from Wressle

All on the direct route, but near as damn it without a direct service :sad:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
@middleagecyclist Have you got your route for the ride back sorted out? If I don't ride with you and AN Others- as I'm going back to Tollerton I've got another ten or eleven to do after York, so I'll probably go earlier- it would certainly be handy to compare with the one I used last year.

Top Bottom