FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - 16th May 2014, York to Hull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CrinklyUncle

It is looking very good for me piloting the CrinklyTandem, the easiest way to get it back to York is going to be riding back. For the return I won't have a stoker, so if anyone wants to give it ago I can probably arrange for a solo bike to be transported back to York.

Tim Hall

the Royal German Podolskis of Mertesacker
(going way off topic) Not knowing what either a Podolski nor a Mertesacker was, I did a spot of googling. I was ever so pleased to learn that Mertsacker is known to the Gooners as BFG. Which doesn't have the same meaning stand as when Roald Dahl uses it. I was even more pleased when I realised that a colleague is (a) at least 2m tall and (b) comes from Bremen. We have our own BFG.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
(going way off topic) Not knowing what either a Podolski nor a Mertesacker was, I did a spot of googling. I was ever so pleased to learn that Mertsacker is known to the Gooners as BFG. Which doesn't have the same meaning stand as when Roald Dahl uses it. I was even more pleased when I realised that a colleague is (a) at least 2m tall and (b) comes from Bremen. We have our own BFG.

yeah, in Highbury, "BFG" currently has a slightly different meaning to "Big Friendly Giant" . The full chant, sung when Mertesacker scores, is "We got a big f****ing German, big f****ing German ". It highlights how relaxed English-German relationships have become, I think.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
yeah, in Highbury, "BFG" currently has a slightly different meaning to "Big Friendly Giant" . The full chant, sung when Mertesacker scores, is "We got a big f****ing German, big f****ing German ". It highlights how relaxed English-German relationships have become, I think.

We Hull have a BFG; unfortunately he's not turned out that good ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Proschwitz & loaned to Barnsley

If only his forefathers had been as bad at hitting the target - Hull would not have had 95% bomb damage during WWII

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Sadly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_Blitz - most of our historical buildings & vast areas of housing leading to vast 'poor' post war planning & subsequent house building ( & stupid labour council)
well, we rode in to Hull yesterday afternoon, and we were, once again, mightily taken by the broad, well-tree'd avenues, the generous proportions of the houses and the cheery city centre. As for Hessle - is there anywhere more metrosexually 'en pointe' outside of SW3? On the minus side, Cafe Pasaz has gone the way of all flesh. Breakfast at Weatherspoons beckons.

Canrider

Guru
That's a blow, what happened to that place nearer the docks you went to a few years back?

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
We rode in to Hull yesterday afternoon, and we were, once again, mightily taken by the broad, well-tree'd avenues, the generous proportions of the houses and the cheery city centre. As for Hessle - is there anywhere more metrosexually 'en pointe' outside of SW3? On the minus side, Cafe Pasaz has gone the way of all flesh. Breakfast at Weatherspoons beckons.

Good effort Simon (and AH ?), sorry I wasn't available.

Not being familiar with SW3, I can't comment on Hessle, particularly as I'm completely focussed on breakfast by that stage of the ride.
Hessle; where's that ?

Weatherspoons ? I'm not too disappointed; we won't need to guard our bikes and the beer selection is better (IMO).
We may also meet some of the local characters.
This could be a good or a bad thing.

It's 200m more to get to the station.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Spoons does seem very popular for food amd beer, indeed we moved to Spoons after Pazaz so starting there will. Save the effort of stirring our stumps. I won't be with you, as I will be doing Le Recce, but the Ibis hotel is just round the corner snd does rooms for about £25 for those who wish to sleep before returning south.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Hah! Wasn't going to say so, but I'm glad someone else wasn't that impressed the last time we went there. It had really deteriorated from the year before I thought.
Actually, I am recalling last year's breaktfast in Hull as the worst of any FNRttC, whilst the Spoon's breakfast in Rhyde after @StuAff's IOW nightride this March was pretty decent. (Honest, I'm not talking about the beer. But that was good too.) Hopefully the Spoon will already be open when we arrive.

Top Bottom