FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 28th May - Whitstable 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
hope you're not in too much pain, Big Al. You were missed.

The ride went well, after a dodgy start. Alan's tyre exploded at Hyde Park Corner, and again a few hundred yards down the road, and some of us doubted that it would get the trip, but he persevered, and it lasted the entire 69 miles. And that, really, was that - other than one puncture, swiftly put right by the TECs, we moved steadily the entire night.

At this time of year darkness is in short supply, but the sunrise over south Essex was considerable compensation, as 'Teef's photo shows. The latter half of the ride lacked the romance of an October ride to Whitstable, but we take a route that isn't without charm in daylight, and took pleasure in one of the most intense springs I can remember. The road from Bapchild to Faversham was real 'Garden of England' stuff, and the dawn chorus, which started before the tea stop in Rochester was as rich as any I've heard this year.

The Wayfinding effort was sublime. I'll not list them for fear of leaving someone out, but it was a delight to have the mix of regulars and newcomers whizzing to the front and taking station at each and every junction.

The real surprise was the way the group kept pretty much together. We did keep the speed of the front down, but not to any great extent, and there were occasions when we stopped to collect having moved at about fourteen miles an hour, and, astonishingly, looked round to find thirty or more people in the lead bunch and the remainder coming in less less than three minutes after. We're not talking racing snakes here, but a real mix of tourists and MTBs.

The others made me drink lots of red wine at the end, and I'm afraid I found in one other a fondness for Eastern European national teams from the 1990s. Apologies if my Stoichkov ramblings were an embarrasment.

DeHoody

Über Member
Many thanks to everybody for a terrific time on the ride last night/this morning.

It was my first FNRTTC and I was very impressed how smoothly everything went, this was down to Simon and the wayfinders' hard work.

Much appreciated, thank you.

ChrisBailey

dellzeqq said:
The others made me drink lots of red wine at the end, and I'm afraid I found in one other a fondness for Eastern European national teams from the 1990s. Apologies if my Stoichkov ramblings were an embarrasment.

I volunteered as a TEC and had very little to do other than shine lights and keep bikes upright as Aperitif & Flying Dodo fixed everything in their path.

After the Southend experience of being waylaid as a waymarker, this was very easy and as people have remarked, well connected, front to back was frequently only a few minutes.

Some of the mystique goes when it's daylight, but a trouble free ride was most welcome.

In 1994 the defending World cup holders, Germany were knocked out by Bulgaria, mainly curtesy of a certain Hristo Stoichkov, European Footballer of the year that year, and this goal enthusiastically celebrated by the commentators is one of the reasons why.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPUWoRflmNo

The Barcelona Messi of the 90's, Simon knows his stuff.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I forgot to mention my favourite episode of the ride, observed in front of Andy's cafe in Rochester. Friendly but completely disbelieving drunk after being told where we came from and where we were going: "and... what's the aim???" - swift answer by a chap I unfortunately don't know by name: "the aim? well ... enjoying ourselves!" -- silence
:-)

ChrisBailey

redfalo said:
I forgot to mention my favourite episode of the ride, observed in front of Andy's cafe in Rochester. Friendly but completely disbelieving drunk after being told where we came from and where we were going: "and... what's the aim???" - swift answer by a chap I unfortunately don't know by name: "the aim? well ... enjoying ourselves!" -- silence
:-)

These silly epithets and nicknames, I cycled alongside Olaf (a fellow TEC) for over 30 miles admiring his recumbent and he never told me was in reality Redfalo, so now I know.

ChrisBailey said:
These silly epithets and nicknames, I cycled alongside Olaf (a fellow TEC) for over 30 miles admiring his recumbent and he never told me was in reality Redfalo, so now I know.

What's your 'real' name Chris? Anyway, you should know by now that Olaf is the 'Friday Night rolling cake stop'* - particularly in Sig's absence.

*If Ianrauk hasn't sampled it all before anyone else gets a go, that is...

Noodling%20in%20the%20Bath.jpg

OK.
I got back and had a good bath too. I was so 'tired' I couldn't be bothered to get out.
One of the nicest things about this ride is that treasure trove of character and information ready to be enjoyed. A chat with Marilyn about how she can teach left-handed people the violin and piano (and how 'extra big' a left-handed person's brain is...:smile:) - then with Clive, about how teaching tried to make you write right handed etc was followed up by a delightful entertainment entitled:
'Fri up, sat in sun' - well, it was breakfast on the balcony with the intermittent rays doing their best against the cloud and breeze.
Anyway, the recovery from a ride like this begins with gentle stretching exercise:
dbi9ld.jpg

Now, for someone who has a posterior more suited to the top of a muffin that exercise ain't gonna happen for me - but it was nice to see flexibility in the creaking sea of knees. (You understand that I write this from an 'elderly' point of view...:biggrin: )
One of the riding party glanced across in most nonchalant fashion...
1247p03.jpg

The performers then moved into a relief stretching position. (A relief, in that it was them doing and not me!)
9amsfo.jpg

Excellent for loosening the quadriceps after a taxing dawn chorus!
Seemingly inspired by this flexible exhibiton of the human form, riders threw a few shapes emulating the actions...
2u9o2go.jpg

a helpful glass of Sanatogen was close to hand...

Fed up tussling with the breeze, the exercise team moved indoors and, seeing a group of 'experienced' people huddled in the corner, encouraged a bit of participation - to enable movement in frail bodies.
furwpj.jpg

The artistes soon found that 'Old Spice' takes on a different meaning after a few serious hours riding. By taking part in the ride, rich p missed his usual Friday Night bath, apparently...
9pomro.jpg

Anyway, your trainers were Marega and Gareth, 'Mr & Mrs Clark :smile: They are tremendous good sports and apart from freelance stretch classes, they perform - here's a link to stuff. For me, they could perform on all the Friday Night Rides - a good laugh!

I'll talk of more serious matters later :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wow, that was fun! A trouble free ride in good company on what was for me, a new route and the usal mix of chat with old friends and new strangers.
Aperitif as practical and interesting as ever, Claudine as witty and pretty as ever and lots of others whose names I never knew.
What a shame MacB couldn't make it - sorely missed - I had to find someone else to talk rubbish to, and Ianrauk and Origamist fitted the bill perfectly. It's always nice to put more faces to usernames.
The highlight, though, has to be sitting on the terrace of the cafe in Whitstable, sun-hunting, briefly found, mud-hunting, soon covered by the tidal Thames...
...and then theclaud politely enquired if the bar was open since we'd finished our second breakfast of the night and it was, after all, getting on for 8.30.
The sun had indeed gone over the yard arm and the die was cast. I normally have a drink about 8.30, so that's okay then , albeit with a 12 hour time shift.
There followed an increasingly funny and ribald session on the local Bombadier in the goodly company of Ape, TC, Matt (what a good bloke), Simon and the Babe, Alan, Anthony, Yan and the ininmitable and the priceless (or should that read, Princeless?) Welsh vaudeville act of mrandmrsclark.co.uk.
I remember weaving to the station, all plans of cycling halfway home now well and truly busted, and Martin helping me buy a ticket. The rest was a blur of trains, stations and catnaps. I do remember kicking over a pint of scalding coffee on the floor of the 15.30 and only feeling slightly guilty before the long slog uphill home, to pretend to those who met me that the glazing over and slurring of words were merely a symptom of tiredness.
Profuse thanks to Dell and the team as always.

p.s What was the event of 1979 Martin?

Ooops! I forgot about that rich - I'll try and look it up. I can only endorse everything you said. Better endorse than outdoors I reckon...

(Why are we am I so childish? :smile:)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
scariest moment of the ride....... seeing Aperitif and Rich P eating breakfast together, working on their Pun Plan For The Planet

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aperitif said:
You were there in spirit my friend - luckily we didn't touch the spirits, save for a little tipple of Glenmorangie as the need arose...:tongue:

;):blush: I hadn't included the Glen in my countback! Speich did get a mention but the context is a little hazy!

Top Bottom