FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham near Bognor 22nd April 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Oh, and Frank9755 - sorry to miss you. The breakfasts were huge, with chips. And
vishenka_34.gif
I sat in the sun.
dirol.gif
cheers.gif

I can imagine what a treat that must have been for you! Don't know why it didn't seem to occur to you to do the same at Southend when you were so cold and hungry...!

Sounds like a wonderful night out - I'm enjoying skimming the messages and looking at the photos. Very sorry I missed it!
cry.gif

Hey Frank, we didn't miss you! (© Adrian 2011) :biggrin:
Only joking - yes, of course we missed you. I'm just watching cyclists, families, individuals and gruppos whizz by, from my window whilst mainly outside guzzling beer fixing a mystery flat back tyre. I'm beginning to think DDs are taking a dislike to me - often overnight... :headshake:

TimO

Guru
... woken by thunder and heavy rain at 17.00 ...

I was woken by that as well, which was good since I didn't want to sleep for half the afternoon, and evening, and then find I was awake overnight, throwing my sleep cycle even more out.

I wandered downstairs to see if Talisker wanted to be let in. He has a cat flap, but sometimes is too stupid (or lazy) to use it. He didn't come when I called, but then I heard a meow, and turned around to see him peering at me from the staircase!

The ride was indeed very fine, and the conditions were mild to say the least. I put on my spare layer at the Cabin Cafe, so I could go outside and let someone else have my seat. After being in the warmth for a while, the outside air felt a bit nippy, but that was soon sorted once we started moving again. I took it off at Arundel, since it was starting to get a bit sweaty by that point.

It was a nice change to spend most of the ride at or near the front, I only did one waymark, and no TECing. I almost got to use my emergency spoke, but by the time I realised that this was the problem (via matthew) they were already on their way home. It would have taken a while to sort out, but it's one of the few spares that I carry on Red.

As ever, great to see everyone, and hi to anyone I didn't say hi to on the ride!

Nah, that's unlikely :smile:

"Untalced and puny" then? (Be careful here...)

Sketchley

Über Member
Enjoyed last night. Thanks to everyone, particularly the group at station who helped with Group Save. Finally got home at 2pm following a very slow and hot ride from East Croydon to Worcester Park. Thanks also to the gentleman who brought me a pint in the morning!

Stats from the night from my Garmin.

Time:08:56:13
Distance:69.03 mi
Calories:6,026
Moving Time:05:24:46
Avg Speed:7.7 mph
Avg Moving:12.8 mph
Max Speed:30.4 mph
Avg Pace:07:46 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:04:42 min/mi
Best Pace:01:58 min/mi
Elevation Gain:3,258 ft
Elevation Loss:3,304 ft
Min Elevation: -9 ft
Max Elevation:614 ft

--
Chris

clivedb

Guru
Another wonderful ride - many thanks yet again to Simon and accomplices. I think the weather has been perfect for every Bognor FNRttC and we have ended up sitting in the sun on the seafront.

I am hoping someone - there must surely be an ornithologist amongst the cyclists! - can explain the strange bird noises - they sounded to me as if they were on the ground.

I have posted a few photos here:

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

There's nothing to match some of the other sunrise photos, but I agree with Thom that the Lancashire sunrise shaded it, although his pics are great.

There was a new sight for me on this ride. It's common to see the trail of red lights flashing into the distance but there were a couple of occasions early yesterday morning when the massive peleton was compressed, creating an awesome spectacle in the dawn light, stretching up the road and framed by the luminescent green of the fresh spring leaves. I tried to capture this, at risk of falling off, but it didn't quite work.

Who needs St George when have our own parfait gentle knight of the Fridays?

IMG_0565.JPG

Top Bottom