GCN+ Gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Surely covered by the on demand section of the Discovery+ app.

Yes, they have all the races on demand, but the point is it not being a user friendly experience to browse through the catalogue of races, compared to GCN+ where it was well laid out and broken down into months with each race having a poster style thumbnail image.
On D+ you have to scroll sideways back through the whole catalogue until you find what you are looking for or interested in and things are easily missed, and the thumbnails are just screenshots from the races.

For example :

Screenshot_20231123-175207.jpg

Screenshot_20231123-175241.jpg

Last edited:
If "it's now £6 to £7" then £6.99 can only be average if almost all are at £7 and one is a bit cheaper.

Y'all should ride in Norfolk. £5.99 is good coffee and a decent cake in a historic building in town.

But do you have mountain passes to climb? 😉

13 rider

Guru
Just had notification of a refund a massive £6.23 ,looks like it's gone into my PayPal account , just off to see how to get out
Edit
Just had another E mail back onto credit card linked to PayPal so no work for me

Big T

Guru
Must admit I am not really an app person so my knowledge is pretty poor.

I am assuming you can't record from an app like you can from a Sky Box.

For example if I wanted to watch the cyclo cross on Saturday morning on discovery+ I couldn't set it to record like I could on Eurosport? I would have to search it out after the event and watch it that way? (Yes I could watch it live but won't be in Saturday a.m.)

You don’t need to record it. You can watch it on catch up. It’s like the BBC iplayer. I watch the Saturday cross on my iPad whilst my wife is watching Strictly Come Dancing on Saturday evening. I could also watch it on our other TV on my Apple TV Box, if I wanted.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You don’t need to record it. You can watch it on catch up. It’s like the BBC iplayer. I watch the Saturday cross on my iPad whilst my wife is watching Strictly Come Dancing on Saturday evening. I could also watch it on our other TV on my Apple TV Box, if I wanted.
Yes, online only, so it is a pig to take with you to watch on a bus or train journey, or even on an unsupported TV. The broadcaster's control-freakery takes priority over viewer usability. It's 2023 and still streaming services are the equivalent of the first TV services that only worked on some TVs. It only took 3 months to standardise UK broadcast TV on the 405 line standard, but streaming TV still has format wars after 20 years!

Chislenko

Veteran
Yes, online only, so it is a pig to take with you to watch on a bus or train journey, or even on an unsupported TV. The broadcaster's control-freakery takes priority over viewer usability. It's 2023 and still streaming services are the equivalent of the first TV services that only worked on some TVs. It only took 3 months to standardise UK broadcast TV on the 405 line standard, but streaming TV still has format wars after 20 years!

This, the reason I prefer recording is that I can set it and forget about it and Sky sets a series link so if there is more of the same on it will record it and it will be there to watch when I have time. Sometimes I may not watch it until a couple of weeks later but it will still be there and I don't have to go "back searching" an app.

Apps are not the future for me!

Big T

Guru
This, the reason I prefer recording is that I can set it and forget about it and Sky sets a series link so if there is more of the same on it will record it and it will be there to watch when I have time. Sometimes I may not watch it until a couple of weeks later but it will still be there and I don't have to go "back searching" an app.

Apps are not the future for me!

it will still be there on the App too. I can go back and watch Grand Tour stages, any of the current season crosses, spring or autumn classics. As for watching it on the bus or train, most have Wi-Fi now, so you can stream it on your smartphone (presuming your not still living in the noughties and you’ve actually got a smartphone).

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Make the most of the next 17 days and watch the Paris Brest Paris documentary. I loved it! Totally life affirming! Now this slow, sheep-greeting cyclist is considering having a bash!
Cathryn the Amy on the video has her own you tube Amy's adventures in cycling worth watching , she localish to me Derby against Leicester so I recognise the roads andvcafes

Top Bottom