Gels etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
Well, let's say bozmandb9 is doing a fasted ride for 90mins to work or with his mates on a Sunday ride. He's fine without taking any other fuel. He doesn't need it.

Let's say that ride is a 3hr time trial. He can still turn up and finish, he's not going to die without fuel - he doesn't need it. But to put in his best performance, taking a gel on the hour gets those extra watts out of his muscles - he benefits from it.

Let's say the ride is part of an Ironman event, he'd be mad not to eat something. He needs it.

I read a lot of rhetoric of people saying "you don't need" something. Which can be true, but it doesn't mean you won't benefit from it.

Just to clarify, in my book a 'fasted ride' as you call it, would be one undertaken first thing in the morning after not eating for at least eight hours. Unless you have a different definition, there is no way anyone could ride a 3 hr time trial (whatever that is) in those conditions.

Tin Pot

Guru
Just to clarify, in my book a 'fasted ride' as you call it, would be one undertaken first thing in the morning after not eating for at least eight hours. Unless you have a different definition, there is no way anyone could ride a 3 hr time trial (whatever that is) in those conditions.
Sure

stephec

Legendary Member
I missed lunch a while back and had on my desk a SiS Gel which was given to me for free so rather than eat and then ride straight after I thought what the heck. Believe me if you want to ride anywhere near me post Gel you are more than welcome to give it a go, you certainly wouldn't want to be in my "draft"

Horrible things, I think it was the sweeteners that did me in, but I couldn't wait to get home.

See, it did make you faster on your commute. :biggrin:

They're for racing really IMO, or if you're really pushing it and can't/don't want to stop.

If you are really pushing it, then every 30mins is probably needed. The thing is that most of us leisure/pleasure riders aren't really pushing it (much as we might think we are) and we'll do absolutely fine with a banana and some water (or whatever you prefer)

I do sometimes take them with me, but I don't buy them, I take advantage of freebies. :smile: I put one in a pocket for "emergency", and it has always come back with me uneaten so far.
Yes I think you only really need a single one, for dire emergencies like the bonk. I haven't used one for ages. Mine may have turned into something interesting by now.

Top Bottom