Genesis datum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
samsbike said:
What I cannot find is the weight of the built up bike.
I don't know how long you've spent looking but they're listed on the Genesis and Planet X websites....

care to enlighten me?

What bike are you looking for?

Genesis Datum 10 - 9.34kg (med w/out pedals)
Genesis Datum 20 - 9.04kg (")
Genesis Datum 30 - 8.87kg (")

Planet X On-One Bish, Bash Bosh - 10.5kgs (large)
Planet X On-One Pickenflick SRAM Rival 1 - 9.4kg (depending on size)
Planet X On-One Pickenflick SRAM Force 1 - 9.2kg (")
Planet X Viner Super Prestige SRAM Rival 1 - 8.7kg approx

All from the manufacturers listings, without needing to access the darkweb...

thanks, I could not see it on the interweb. Must confess I am surprised that the ti bikes are almost as like as the carbon one.

leahcim

That's weak - they're talking about a custom frame colour but all you're requesting is a standard frame with a different set of components bolted on. Have you tried speaking to someone on the phone? You might get more joy that way.

Surely it's the kind of thing you've got to expect a LBS to do? Am I missing something? I've never heard of a bike manufacturer offering to change the spec of their bikes?

The LBS I was looking for my Datum offered to do either the 30 spec or the 20 spec on the red frame for the price of the black and white bikes.
Not the least because it seems stocks of the other 2 seem rare, so they've probably got a red one in stock.

I've seen at least one red datum 10 with the 20 spec on the t'internet.

I wasn't really that bothered about colour per se. I was originally looking at the 30 though and I think white would just show up the dirt and as I'd test ridden the 10 I liked the red. I was tempted to get CX 46/36T gearing instead too. All of these things the LBS were happy to do.

I don't understand the price point of the 10 at all? Why would anyone buy the 10 instead of getting the full 105 and hydraulic disks on the 20? They just seem too close in price point.

In the end I decided a power meter would be more useful and fun than spending £1000 more for electronic gears. So I went for a black 20 with a stages power meter and they swapped the bar and stem for pro vibe (effectively getting the M sized stem and bars on the L frame at the same time)

I've done about 250km so far, not gone for my fit yet but I'm loving it. It's the best bike I've ever ridden. I'm not a genesis dealer either - albeit the set of bikes I've ridden isn't that large. The bike it's replacing is a 2014 Giant defy advanced 2 which I never really liked much. The power meter was definitely a good choice too.

Put it this way, if there's a better bike for the money go and buy two of them :smile:

BlueDog

Veteran
image.jpeg
I was also after a red frame but with a higher spec than the Tiagra groupset. I contacted Genesis who said they couldn't help, but suggested I contact their local seller, which I did and a week later (today) I picked it up with an Ultegra groupset. I've only done 10 miles this afternoon to do a few tweaks ready for a longer ride tomorrow, but I'm really impressed with it so far.

BlueDog

Veteran
So here's a quick update... I did the longer ride that I spoke about, which turned out to be 125 miles - The bike just kept rolling and rolling and rolling!!
I've 2 other quality bikes which I'm now planning to sell, as I don't think I'm going to want to ride anything other than this Datum. Needless to say, I'm very happy with it^_^.

Azzurri78

Very nice bike. If you don't mind me asking - what size is it and what height are you?

BlueDog

Veteran
Thanks @EasyPeez. Interesting post you made there, as one of the reasons for buying this was riding in the wet: I have some pretty steep hills around me to decline on a regular basis which is why I wanted disc brakes for when doing so in the wet. Additionally the bike can take full length mudguards which I plan to fit for winter riding. I'm not aware of an issue with the hubs, can you please give me more info on this.

@Azzurri78 I'm 5' 11" and the bike is a 'large'. I went into my LBS before they started the custom build just to check it was the right size before they started to strip the original bike. Let me know if you want any particular measurements and I'll happily provide them for you.

Thanks @EasyPeez. Interesting post you made there, as one of the reasons for buying this was riding in the wet: I have some pretty steep hills around me to decline on a regular basis which is why I wanted disc brakes for when doing so in the wet. Additionally the bike can take full length mudguards which I plan to fit for winter riding. I'm not aware of an issue with the hubs, can you please give me more info on this.

I had/have the same problem as this guy. One wet ride and my free hub has never been right since. I had a full set of new bearings put in a couple of months ago and took a print out of that article to show the mechanic. He said he'_d sorted it but within 200 miles it was grinding again. It doesn't seem to create any resistance on the wheel spinning but you can hear a grinding when freewheeling (it comes and goes rather than being constant) and if you lift the back up and spin the pedals there's a detectable roughness to things.
Think others have had similar problems if you search online.
In retrospect i should have taken it back under warranty after that first wet ride, but I bought the bike in a different city and didn't understand the issue fully at the time.
Now I only ride it in the dry and am saving up for some hand built wheels on hope hubs.

Hope you have better luck with yours. The wheels actually give a nice, sprightly ride, hub issue apart.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/problem-fulcrum-racing-sport-346908.html

BlueDog

Veteran
:ohmy: that's a bit of a shock, but thank you for making me aware of it - I'm going to be quite paranoid now!

The bike shop I bought it from wants me to take it back within the month to check everything is nice and tight and the cables haven't stretched, so I'll mention it to them and see what they say. I'm sure the industry must be putting a lot of pressure on the Fulcrum guys to find a fix, so it'll be interesting to see how this goes.

And after a couple of comments on my first ride on the Datum, here it is

image.png

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
:ohmy: that's a bit of a shock, but thank you for making me aware of it - I'm going to be quite paranoid now!

The bike shop I bought it from wants me to take it back within the month to check everything is nice and tight and the cables haven't stretched, so I'll mention it to them and see what they say. I'm sure the industry must be putting a lot of pressure on the Fulcrum guys to find a fix, so it'll be interesting to see how this goes.

And after a couple of comments on my first ride on the Datum, here it is

View attachment 131721

I've been trying to find more comments (two bikes I fancy have these wheels) on the hubs but have drawn a blank. However, as far as I can see they were introduced not too long ago and are now no longer available!

Strange though that Genesis, Ridley and Rose (amongst others) all of whom are decent manufacturers use them. presumably they test the things - but maybe not?

BlueDog

Veteran
I'd guess the likes of Genesis, Ridley and Rose negotiate a pretty hefty discount from Falcrum by buying a large quantity in bulk, which would make them pretty attractive. I doubt they test them before buying or selling, but perhaps the will now! Interesting that you say they are no longer available after such a short life, so they must realise there's a problem. I think I'll also get in touch with Genesis to see how I stand. I'll let you know....

Yeah, from what I read the freehub and bearing set-up was different on this model to any other Fulcrum wheel. I wonder if now they are all set-up the same way, and if it was problems like I've had that have led to them being discontinued.

I wouldn't get too paranoid @BlueDog - there must be thousands of these wheel sets out there and it's not like the internet is awash with people complaining about them (unlike say, creaking BB30 bottom brackets) so maybe it was just one bad batch.
Also, as I said, I was quite naive and didn't realise what the problem was. If I had done I would have taken the bike back early doors and insisted on replacement under warranty. Now you have a heads-up if you do suffer the same problem you can do just this. The guy in that thread ended up getting a wheel upgrade from his LBS.
I've had over 5,000 miles out of mine and they still run true and spin fine, but I daren't take them out in the wet anymore.
Cheers.

Top Bottom