Genesis datum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
and am saving up for some hand built wheels on hope hubs.

Sounds like a good plan, albeit one you shouldn't have to make.

Hope - the ticking sound of quality - should serve you well.

The bearings are famously long lasting.

As you do 100-odd miles a week, you should get the benefit.

I really like these but can't understand why they are nearly 10-15% more than the equivalent competitor model

paulicc

I've had my Datum 20 since last December and love it. But the freehub started making horrible noises as described by previous posters after just a few rides in the wet. My LBS was helpful, replacing the wheel with the same off a new bike while they worked out what was wrong. A few weeks later the new wheel had the same problem. Got the original wheel back with an 'improved freehub' provided by the distributors, but a few weeks later that went the same way. That's 3 failures in a few months. I don't ride my bike through rivers or floods or wash it with a pressure washer but I do ride it on wet days of course.
In the end I upgraded the wheels to a better Fulcrum model at a small cost (the only option prevented by the Fulcrum distributors) but haven't used them yet as I changed to some Hunt wheels with tubeless tyres which have been BRILLIANT over many thousands of miles.
I'm surprised there isn't a lot more 'feedback' on these wheels as Genesis are fitting them on lots of bikes.
I nearly bought a Ridley CX bike the other day but changed my mind when I saw it had these wheels.
I know suppliers fit cheap wheels to bikes, and that's fair enough, but in the reviews I read these wheels are perceived to be reasonable quality (like earlier Fulcrums) so should not fail so early.
There are some 2016 Datums at good sale prices now the 2017 bikes are out, but my suggestion would be to get your LBS to replace these wheels at the time of purchase.

The wheel thing is surprising as the 2017 datums have cheaper wheelsets on the 10 and 20 editions and the more expensive ones get the fulcrum wheels

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm looking at the Datum 30 so do these have the same wheels as the 10 and 20 .. plus what would be the cost to upgrade if you went that route.

I'm surprised there isn't a lot more 'feedback' on these wheels as Genesis are fitting them on lots of bikes.
Yes, I was/am surprised too, as there are/have been quite a few bikes being specced with these wheels, inc big names like Genesis, Ridley and Wilier. I could only find one or two other people talking about the issue online when mine started grinding last year, so assumed I'd been unlucky and most wheelsets were fine, but as more people complain about the issue I'm wondering if this hub might become Fulcrum's equivalent of the BB30.

The wheel thing is surprising as the 2017 datums have cheaper wheelsets on the 10 and 20 editions and the more expensive ones get the fulcrum wheels
Yep, these wheels come specced on bikes at £3,000+, so entry-level or not, these are not bargain basement wheels and you'd want them to be decent really for that money wouldn't you?

I'm looking at the Datum 30 so do these have the same wheels as the 10 and 20
Yes, it's the wheels in question on the 30.

plus what would be the cost to upgrade if you went that route
Surely that would depend on what you were looking to upgrade to, and what kind of deal your LBS/online retailer was willing to do?

Another option of course would be to buy the bike, keep all your receipts, use the Fulcrum Sport wheels, then if/when the freehub plays up whip it straight back to the bike shop, print off a load of internet evidence of the problem and insist they replace the wheels for a different/better model under warranty, rather than replacing for more of the same.

Boon 51

Veteran
Yes, I was/am surprised too, as there are/have been quite a few bikes being specced with these wheels, inc big names like Genesis, Ridley and Wilier. I could only find one or two other people talking about the issue online when mine started grinding last year, so assumed I'd been unlucky and most wheelsets were fine, but as more people complain about the issue I'm wondering if this hub might become Fulcrum's equivalent of the BB30.

Yep, these wheels come specced on bikes at £3,000+, so entry-level or not, these are not bargain basement wheels and you'd want them to be decent really for that money wouldn't you?

Surely that would depend on what you were looking to upgrade to, and what kind of deal your LBS/online retailer was willing to do?

Another option of course would be to buy the bike, keep all your receipts, use the Fulcrum Sport wheels, then if/when the freehub plays up whip it straight back to the bike shop, print off a load of internet evidence of the problem and insist they replace the wheels for a different/better model under warranty, rather than replacing for more of the same.

I was looking at evans for the bike but are the 10/20 ones all be it cheaper better wheels perhaps.. Just looked at the Jamis Elite which is same spec but no niggling problems..

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Are you legally entitled to demand better goods under warranty?

Boon 51

Veteran

You should be able to have an option I would of thought.. Good question.

Boon 51

Veteran
Just looked on the Fulcrum site and this one didn't even list the Fulcrum Sport but a further search said they were £140 a pair so could you not get an upgrade to the Fulcrum 5 disc (£250) and just pay the difference perhaps..

Out of curiousity is the Jamis running thru axles front and rear? I am wondering if its just the qr rear's that have an issue - although I have no idea why

Yes, if the product generally, rather than just your individual item, is proven to be faulty. By "different/better" I wasn't meaning demand a higher priced wheel, just a different set that don't have a recurring defect. So they would be of equal monetary value but as they would not have a dodgy freehub they would be by definition, IMO, better.

I'm with @samsbike tbh, though i'm going to go for some handbuilts on hope hubs. My friend has been riding Hunts for the last 18 months and is well happy with them.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yes, if the product generally, rather than just your individual item, is proven to be faulty. By "different/better" I wasn't meaning demand a higher priced wheel, just a different set that don't have a recurring defect. So they would be of equal monetary value but as they would not have a dodgy freehub they would be by definition, IMO, better.

I'm with @samsbike tbh, though i'm going to go for some handbuilts on hope hubs. My friend has been riding Hunts for the last 18 months and is well happy with them.
Equivalent, but not identical, different product might be a better product. We are in agreement. Not certain you can insist on an equivalent though as I think, in law, you are only entitled to an identical direct replacement under warranty unless not available.

Top Bottom