Genesis Day01 Alfine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lerxt

Nice bike, however, keep an eye on those brakes. I don't want to cause alarm or put a downer on your buzz about the new bike but I think you should know about my experience with this bike. I have the same bike and after about 3 weeks of riding I noticed some really bad juddering when I was braking. I took it back to the shop and they said they'd look at it but it was probably just the brakes that were bedding in. The juddering was that bad that I thought it was the headset that needed adjusting. Anyway, a day later I got a phone call from the shop telling me that the brakes were effectively shot because the Lyras are being used with a Shimano rotor and the pads were overlapping beyond the rim of the rotors and catching the rotor arms. This had led to some major loosening of the front wheel/brake mechanism which the shop said that I'd been lucky not to come off hurt or worse. One of the guys in the shop had a go and apparently crapped himself it was that bad. It was the same at the rear but not as evident (no judder).

The shop got back to the distributors and told them about the problem and they asked them to send the bike back so they could have a look at it, which my lbs did. They told the lbs that they'd look at it and send me a new bike within a couple of days. A week later I rang up my lbs and they told me that a new bike had just been delivered but unfortunately it was the fixed version! To be fair, my lbs rang back and asked them return the original bike and they'd put some Shimano brakes on as it was clear to them that the Tectros were the problem. The distributors sent the bike back and the lbs switched the brakes (I picked the bike up today). Apparently they couldn't send me a new bike because they are out of stock until April. However, my concern is that I bought a bike with brakes that didn't properly fit the rotors, at least on my bike they didn't - Genesis now presumably know about this problem. Of course, the issue I had may have been a one off but I thought you should be aware of the problem that I've had with the bike. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem.

Don't get me wrong, its a cracking bike and the Alfine set up is ideal for my commute, however, just keep an eye out for those brakes. I'd hate anyone to come a cropper. I'm off out in a while but I'll post some pics tomorrow of the wear on the rotor that was caused by the Tecktros. I've been meaning to contact Genesis direct and ask them specifically about the issue, but as yet I've not had the time.

Cheers,

L.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Thanks for letting me know Lerkt.
I will a. keep an eye on it b. Contact Genesis about this and see what they say.
I've yet to experience any juddering.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Here's mine - just finished putting on the guards and rack...gasp!

Sorry, rubbish quality pic (cluttered too), mines got a Brooks Team Pro Classic and a nice machined seat post that came with a B15 that I bought from User1314, thought the silver would match the stem. Not set up for me yet, so still a bit of tweaking with heights and angles.

gallery_3629_9_1146629.jpg

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Now ready for commuting with reflectors removed bar the one on the rear mudguard, lights added, garmin added, rear camera mount added and carradice saddle bag added.
5068442210_b66381dd78_b.jpg

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Looks great Gaz! :becool:

Like to see a clearer pic of mine? That's if you don't mind sharing your Genesis Alfine thread! :smile:

Please go ahead..

Top Bottom