Getting Lost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CycleD

Regular
Ok, how many people have gone exploring down new routes only to find themselves lost. I know you can just turn back and go the way you came but has anyone also tried to avoid doing this.?;

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Ok, how many people have gone exploring down new routes only to find themselves lost. I know you can just turn back and go the way you came but has anyone also tried to avoid doing this.?;
Oh yes!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I was a cyclist in the 1960s, yes, but it is now 2016 and cheap GPS systems make that completely avoidable!

I always have a GPS device on my bars, and for backup I have an OS map of the whole UK on my phone (which has its own GPS).

Memory Map on laptop phone and tablet.jpg

The same route on my laptop, phone, and tablet.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I'll often try using new routes or exploring, I've not had to use my GPS just yet to find my way home, but thats in large part because you can navigate effectively using road signs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I prefer to plan new routes on the mapping software shown in the photograph above, and when riding just to go to where I have decided to go.

I always check my new routes using Google Street view. Sometimes I spot interesting diversions that way and rejig a route before the ride.

Broadside

Guru
Countless times, it's only a pain when you end up riding quite a few extra miles on a long ride and then run out of food, that's when I learnt the meaning of the phrase 'dig deep' as it's the only way to get home!

I bought a GPS in the end and quite enjoy not getting lost anymore

Goggs

Guru
I've only ever gotten properly lost once. That was sixteen years ago in Canada.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's not getting lost... It's exploring.... With the occasional back track...

And the more you do the more you suddenly know where you are when you turn a corner.... Now it may involve having to lift your bike over obstacles, or get a little muddy but it's very enjoyable!

Goggs

Guru
Did grizzly bears feature?

Something managed to get our food down from a tree but we knew where we were that time. No, it was up around North Bay in northern Ontario and I was on a mission. I was to meet someone in a specific pub but the lake had chosen that very night to disgorge it's entire content of Shadflies on the town. I had to use the wipers to clear the screen of insects as I drove through town looking for this pub and turned so many times I just got totally lost. In the end I found a motel & booked in for the night. It was as creepy as anything I've ever experienced.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Something managed to get our food down from a tree but we knew where we were that time. No, it was up around North Bay in northern Ontario and I was on a mission. I was to meet someone in a specific pub but the lake had chosen that very night to disgorge it's entire content of Shadflies on the town. I had to use the wipers to clear the screen of insects as I drove through town looking for this pub and turned so many times I just got totally lost. In the end I found a motel & booked in for the night. It was as creepy as anything I've ever experienced.
Canada is about the emptiest country we've ever visited. It's a big change from South-East England, and quite wonderfully so, but having driven for a hour and not come across a single other living creature, apart from a couple of brown bears daintily picking blackberries by the roadside, it gets to be faintly un-nerving!

Goggs

Guru
Canada is about the emptiest country we've ever visited. It's a big change from South-East England, and quite wonderfully so, but having driven for a hour and not come across a single other living creature, apart from a couple of brown bears daintily picking blackberries by the roadside, it gets to be faintly un-nerving!

Same here. I worked as a breakfast chef in a resort that was 32km from a tarmac road and 89km from the nearest town. I loved it at first but eventually got stir crazy.

Top Bottom