Getting Lost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Same here. I worked as a breakfast chef in a resort that was 32km from a tarmac road and 89km from the nearest town. I loved it at first but eventually got stir crazy.

It's all those endless silent forests and brackish lakes that harbour large animals that wish you no good that gave me the screaming abdabs. Lovely people, polite drivers too.

Goggs

Guru
One of our KP's had a motorbike and every fortnight we'd draw straws to see who'd drive into town to get the beer in. I was drawn in my second week. What a trip that was, especially on the way back when I discovered the bike had no working lights. Nearly hit a moose that evening. But yes, lovely people.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
One of our KP's had a motorbike and every fortnight we'd draw straws to see who'd drive into town to get the beer in. I was drawn in my second week. What a trip that was, especially on the way back when I discovered the bike had no working lights. Nearly hit a moose that evening. But yes, lovely people.
You cou
You could fit a fortnight's supply of beer on a motorbike??????? That's the other thing about Canada (apart from the dangerous animals) , the Government pretty much has a monopoly on sales of grog, and it isn't cheap.

Goggs

Guru
You cou

You could fit a fortnight's supply of beer on a motorbike??????? That's the other thing about Canada (apart from the dangerous animals) , the Government pretty much has a monopoly on sales of grog, and it isn't cheap.

No, I couldn't. There was beer available on the resort but at resort prices. My task was to feed the proles who were paid minimum wage with zero bonuses. Still the worst job I've ever had. Worst employers too.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No, I couldn't. There was beer available on the resort but at resort prices. My task was to feed the proles who were paid minimum wage with zero bonuses. Still the worst job I've ever had. Worst employers too.
But you got to meet a moose, not something that most people are likely to do. I salute you.:cheers:

Goggs

Guru
I'm a veggie ans so naturally have trouble seeing animals suffering. We were sharing a flat in TO for a couple of years and one day I came downstairs to find a mouse caught in a trap. It was one of those glue traps that I'd never seen before and the poor wee bugger was squeaking like mad. I thought I'd Free the Moose (I'm Scottish). Well, did he not go and bite me on the tip of my finger. It was nippy but no big deal until a friend came around to visit and told me Rabies was a distinct possibility. Tetanus at the very least! So I got on the phone to the local medical centre and told them what happened. I knew what they were going to think when I told them I'd been bitten by a Moose and did it deliberately. They duly told me to get down there quick-smart. I did and when I went in holding my finger in the air it took them about 5 seconds to understand their mistake. That was probably the most painful injection I've ever had, no doubt deliberately.

As an aside, as I stood at the counter talking to the receptionist another woman sitting at a desk with her back to us slowly swivelled around on her chair, looked me up & down and told me she "could listen to my gorgeous accent all day long". Made my day that did.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When I was a cyclist in the 1960s, yes, but it is now 2016 and cheap GPS systems make that completely avoidable!

I always have a GPS device on my bars, and for backup I have an OS map of the whole UK on my phone (which has its own GPS).

View attachment 145735

The same route on my laptop, phone, and tablet.
Blimey, do you carry all three on your bike?

Some of the best rides I have are when I've temporarily mislaid myself ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Blimey, do you carry all three on your bike?
Ha ha - no!

The software is licensed for up to 5 devices so it seemed daft not to put it on them all. I could put it on my desktop PC too but I won't bother because I prefer to use the laptop.

Routes are generally plotted on the laptop because it is much easier to do it using a mouse than a finger on a touchscreen. Also, the Android version doesn't display elevation profiles which is a feature I use a lot.

Plenty of websites offer similar features for plotting routes online.

I suppose it all boils down to whether or not you like surprises. I do NOT so I plan my routes.

I have very occasionally had to change route mid-ride because of roadworks, RTAs, bad weather, mechanical problems or illness, but normally I prefer to stick to the plan.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I love exploring the lanes for places I have never been before, but i hate getting lost. I always have my phone with me, which has a map, and my tablet which has Google maps, and strava as well. I make sure I'm not going to get lost. I have a terrible sense of direction.

And when I'm in my car, I have a Tom Tom. :laugh:. I have all the bases covered.

I am renowned for my complete lack of any sense of direction. Fortunately, I found over the years that I am a good map reader. These days, I just use my phone for maps... if I take a wrong turn at any point (which is fairly inevitable) it re-routes which is a bonus. Before the advent of the re-routing feature, I used to get in a right mess :blush:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My wife has a terrible sense of direction. We were in France once, in Versailles, looking for the road to Orleans ( my home town) in the days before GPS and my wife was my co-pilot with a Michelin map on her knees. She told me to look for the N34. After going round Versailles a few times and failing to find the N34, I stopped the car and asked her to hand me the map. What she thought was the N34 was in fact the distance between two towns, 34kms! :whistle:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Yes yes yes, was doing a 70 mile charity ride and I missed a waypoint (well actually the locals removed it so they would not get the bikes through the village). I ended up asking some old lady which way was anywhere on my printed map which was too small to be of use.

I ended up doing 80 miles in the end so win win.
I tend to keep a cool head when lost and try not to panic.

I usually do recce rides to test routes and I combine this with a bit of Google Maps Street View mode exploration where I review junctions and sections before I venture out to far.

Top Bottom