Getting rid of your TV.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I only watch the news, footie, Film4 and the odd documentary, in July my big old Sony CRT went "pop", I didn't give a monkey's fart because the footie season had not started:biggrin: However, my three sprogs, 14, 10 & 7 whined incesssantly. Just to see what happened, I made several excuses to put off getting another.

They still watched TV in their bedrooms, but only what they really wanted to watch, then they did other things, the TV was not a constant blaring presence. After a few weeks and into the school holiday something amazing happened, the kids stopped arguing and they started to spend the late evenings sitting quietly.....reading!! By the time we went on holiday mid August nobody was even mentioning a new TV. Life was a lot better:smile:

We have a new LCD TV now and we are back to normal, it's blaring out, crap is on it, nobody is watching it............I wish I hadn't given in.;)

Maz

Guru
postman said:
We have cable 154 channels of repeats.Only good thing live football.If no kids the telly would go.
I'm the opposite...if I had no TV the kids would leave...in protest!

Into my second year of not having a TV.

I can get the cycling online, but not the (Test) cricket, which I would really like to be able to see.

On trips back to the UK, I possibly spend a little too much time fighting for the control with my nieces who only want to watch crap,; unlike me, of course! ;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
We have lots of TV's, even take one in the caravan.
Dont watch the TV much though, i can kill lots of time on here, on my bike or just sitting around listening to music. Its mainly the morning and the evening before i come on the computer that i watch tv, and when i've come straight in from my bike and i've eaten i can go straight on the computer without watching the TV.
Wouldnt get rid of it though, its interesting sometimes, i was watching a programme on Poligomists the other day.
Someone i ride with doesnt have one, his furniture points to his coffee table.

Maz

Guru
Joe24 said:
i was watching a programme on Poligomists the other day.
I've got sixteen wives:
4 better
4 worse
4 richer
4 poorer...

One of the oldest jokes. Ever.

just jim

I can't watch costume drama - can't bear it. Covering up the yellow lines on the road with sawdust! I understand "Little Dorrit" is being done on the telly and that - I might give it a go, but I'll probably lose interest after I see the first strategically placed horse and cart.

I don't watch "Heroes" etc. No patience. I watch very little now really. I think T.V has run out of steam ( or I have).

I would get rid of the telly were it not for cbeebies; vital at times, but it feels like giving the children a sedative.
I like to think I pay for BBC radio and bits of BBC4 - happy to, but so much of it all is useless.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
User1314 said:
I think Trdrinka has.
Some TV Shows are just spot on - where would we be without The Simpsons or Father Ted for example.

Well remembered CoG!

I got shot of my TV some 7 years ago and I have never looked back.
The lovely licence people seem to have forgotten all about me for the last two years but I did send them some rather heavy letters compliaing about the threatening nature of some of their letters.:rolleyes:

My computer has a DVD drive and I own all three series of Father Ted on DVD!:biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
but I did send them some rather heavy letters compliaing about the threatening nature of some of their letters.:rolleyes:

What did you do? Put a couple of bricks in and not put enough stamps on?

I made a very irate phone call and it's all gone quiet :biggrin:

I did learn during the course of the phone call that they word the letters like that to get a response out of the non-owners :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
tdr1nka said:
Well remembered CoG!

I got shot of my TV some 7 years ago and I have never looked back.
The lovely licence people seem to have forgotten all about me for the last two years but I did send them some rather heavy letters compliaing about the threatening nature of some of their letters.:rolleyes:

My computer has a DVD drive and I own all three series of Father Ted on DVD!:biggrin:

Didn't you invite them in and ask them to look for a TV... now that would be funny to see

Bokonon

Über Member
My residence has recently become an unlicensed address. I am currently the only person living there and am not prepared to pay for crap that I don't want to watch - before disabling the TV, the only thing I would watch was repeats of the Simpsons that I had already seen many times before. I might as well buy them on DVD for the cost of a license. I've only had 2 letters from TV licensing so far. They are threatening to send their goons round.

simoncc

I'd miss my TV as I do like to watch a couple of football matches on Sky every week. I'd like an arrangement whereby I only have to pay for the TV I want rather than the current arrngement where I have to pay the government for its TV channels even though I have no need of them. My payments to the government for their TV channels are a complete waste of money for me, and cost me as much as my CTC subs, my Times internet crossword subs and my car breakdown insurance combined every year.

Maz

Guru
simoncc said:
I'd miss my TV as I do like to watch a couple of football matches on Sky every week. I'd like an arrangement whereby I only have to pay for the TV I want rather than the current arrngement where I have to pay the government for its TV channels even though I have no need of them. My payments to the government for their TV channels are a complete waste of money for me, and cost me as much as my CTC subs, my Times internet crossword subs and my car breakdown insurance combined every year.
Do you ever do the Times cryptic xword? They really are twisted - I've only ever managed to finish one so far - I normally get too frustrated or realise I've spent too long on it and give up.

simoncc

Maz said:
Do you ever do the Times cryptic xword? They really are twisted - I've only ever managed to finish one so far - I normally get too frustrated or realise I've spent too long on it and give up.

Once you get the hang of them they are OK. The Telegraph ones are too easy, aimed at businessmen who can't spend too long on them, the Independent ones are a bit harder and the Guardian ones vary from the ridiculously easy to the pretentiously difficult, requiring too much knowledge of literature and obscure words. They are obviously aimed at public servants and academic staff with little else to do at work.

Top Bottom