Give me some dialogue from your day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
When I told him prices start with 95€ he said "Gosh, you're expensive..."

Yesterday a chap asked me to fix a puncture for him. Now I know this chap and his neglected bike.

I said I'd put a new tube in. The tube would be £5. I also reminded him that his brake and gear cables are frayed and brake blocks are worn out.

He said" OK replace them too, so long as the total bill is no more than the £5 you said"

I'm so disappointed with the response to my efforts to help people get cycling. I expect he will go back to commuting by car.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Me to swmbo : do we have any cash in the house as my bike buying stash is empty.
Swmbo to me : of course we do in the normal place.
Me to Swmbo : ok thanks .
Swmbo to me : hope you put an iou in its place......

gbb

Legendary Member
Watching the news this morning, a report about Qantas was the focus, we both sat listening, drinking tea.
I said...
Queensland and Northern Territories Air Service, that's what Qantas means..,,
Wife ..
Thanks for that nugget of useless information..
Me...
Just want you to sleep easy at night...:smile:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Today: Urrgghh, I've got to get out of bed and get the wheelie bin (non recyclable) ready as it's 'bin day'.

Except, I really can't be bothered, the bin isn't very full anyway, so... Umm... Zzzzzz

Yes, life is such a chore! 😆

EDIT: I got up and ended up doing quite a bit of tidying up. My bins are full now (except for the brown, garden waste one)

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll set the scene... I was walking down a path into the local Aldi's car park. A man was walking though the car park and was about to join the path. A sudden movement to his left caught his eye - a £5 note blowing about! He ran over to it, picked it up, and put it in his pocket. He looked up at me and smiled.

Man: Wow, that was lucky!

Me: Well spotted, sir!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
"#### me, it's ####### hot...
...On the street
...in this meeting room
...In this glass-sided stairwell
...On this train

It is roasting down here, for my first work trip to central London in about a year. The leg of my journey by Boris Bike might have been a bad idea, but i wasn't denying myself the opportunity of a mid week ride!
Hence felt a little overheated once in the furnace-like heat of the train.

Still no aircon on many SWR commuter services! Nor toilets, which is a little alarming after drinking so many fluids!

I had a friend come and visit me a few years ago ...

Pal: Hi Col .... [General chat] ... And how are your parents?
Me: My dad died last year and my mum is still getting over it...
Pal: That's a pity. And how's your dad?
[W.T.F.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:]
Me: He is still dead!

Reminds me of the time a colleague was helping one of our clients apply for a job under the new "inclusive" rules. It seems not every employer had got the memo.

Employer: And of course you'll need to drive a van every day...
Client: I can't drive.
Employer: Really, oh, you'll need to learn to drive then.
Colleague interrupts and asks client to wait outside for a minute
Colleague: Are you aware that [Client] can't learn to drive?
Employer: Why not?
Colleague: He has severe Down's Syndrome.
Employer: Oh, I see. When do you think he will he get better?

Yesterday a chap asked me to fix a puncture for him. Now I know this chap and his neglected bike.

I said I'd put a new tube in. The tube would be £5. I also reminded him that his brake and gear cables are frayed and brake blocks are worn out.

He said" OK replace them too, so long as the total bill is no more than the £5 you said"

I'm so disappointed with the response to my efforts to help people get cycling. I expect he will go back to commuting by car.

I find it remarkable that people who will happily fork out hundreds per month to keep a rapidly depreciating car on the road will expect bikes to be essentially free.

I recently pointed out to someone who was tutting about paying 200€ for a commuting bike, that if the bike ran well for a year, he's have got the money back, and more, and on top of that, if well maintained, this bike would still be working in a decade for pocket money costs.

They sat on the bike and said "How far down can you go?"
I said: "About fifteen centimetres, any lower and you need a smaller frame."
They said: "I'll pay you 150€"
I said "Have a nice day."

I find it remarkable that people who will happily fork out hundreds per month to keep a rapidly depreciating car on the road will expect bikes to be essentially free

^^THIS^^ with multiple well-polished knobs on!

I use a small business a couple of miles away and have them do a host of small jobs once or twice a year. The cost is generally £30 - £50, which also includes pick up from my home and return when done.

Non-cycling friends were horrified. 'It cost HOW much? For a BIKE?' My reply 'How many different things can you have done to your car for £50?' Erm...

Cycling friends were also horrified, but differently so. 'I would've done it for you ...'

Yes but ... the shop did it at MY convenience, and I didn't have to trawl the shops or t'internet hoping I'd got the right sort of brake blocks, or ride the thing to my friends house through the rain, and hope there'd be a convenient bus back, or say thank you even though something I wanted done had been omitted ...

£50 is a bargain. No hanging around anywhere and no grease (on me or in my home) involved!

I find it remarkable that people who will happily fork out hundreds per month to keep a rapidly depreciating car on the road will expect bikes to be essentially free.

I recently pointed out to someone who was tutting about paying 200€ for a commuting bike, that if the bike ran well for a year, he's have got the money back, and more, and on top of that, if well maintained, this bike would still be working in a decade for pocket money costs.

They sat on the bike and said "How far down can you go?"
I said: "About fifteen centimetres, any lower and you need a smaller frame."
They said: "I'll pay you 150€"
I said "Have a nice day."

This customer changed their mind about the bike and reserved it, twice. They were a bit upset that the bike cost 200€ even after I pointed out that I'd actually reduced it from the normal price, so they were effectively getting some items free.

They came to buy the bike after I'd finished work and because I knew they'd try, I asked my colleague on the till not to enter into negotiations.
This morning my colleague said that they'd come and sure enough the first thing they asked was if he could "Do something about the price". His response was that it wasn't his department, so no, he couldn't negotiate.

They paid €200,00.

Last edited:
This customer changed their mind about the bike and reserved it, twice. They were a bit upset that the bike cost 200€ even after I pointed out that I'd actually reduced it from the normal price, so they were effectively getting some items free.

They came to buy the bike after I'd finished work and because I knew they'd try, I asked my colleague on the till not to enter into negotiations.
This morning my colleague said that they'd come and sure enough the first thing they asked was if he could "Do something about the price". His response was that it wasn't his department, so no, he couldn't negotiate.

They paid €200,00.

He could have offered to increase it

Watching the news this morning, a report about Qantas was the focus, we both sat listening, drinking tea.
I said...
Queensland and Northern Territories Air Service, that's what Qantas means..,,
Wife ..
Thanks for that nugget of useless information..
Me...
Just want you to sleep easy at night...:smile:

Actually it is Aerial Services

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom