Give me some dialogue from your day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have given and been otherwise involved in few spinning demonstrations recently - spinning as in, of wool shorn from a sheep. Often while sitting or standing next to a recently shorn sheep or three.

Children - even quite little children - soon work out what we're doing, if given a little time to stand and stare. After all, it's visually quite apparent that a thread is being formed from a bunch of fluffy fibre, by means of a twisting process ...

Some of the adults though.
Dialogue 1 :
'What are they doing, do you think?'
'That's knitting like they do abroad, they must be foreign. No-one does it any more here', said in a confident tone.

Dialogue 2:
A - 'What are they making?'
B - 'That one with the stick thing (me with a drop spindle) is looming, that one with the wheel thing (my pal with a spinning wheel) is knitting a jumper.' (WTF is 'looming' when it's at home?!)
A - 'Oh, how do you know that?'
B - 'I learnt how to do it when I was still at school.' (I suppose it's hardly surprising his clothes were a bit weird, and very tatty ...)

Fortunately there were lots more people who were genuinely interested and even if they knew nothing, asked reasonable and sensible questions instead of making things up as they went along.

Younger Son discussing his recent enthusiasm for epic music:

"It makes you feel like you can invade a minor country. I'm half British, half Japanese, and grew up in Germany. Do you see the danger here?"

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
....instead of making things up as they went along.

Some people have a talent for talking absolute nonsense with complete authority and confidence.

When we were young children, we were on holiday near Dunoon in Argyll. The American submariners were based there at the time, and just outside the town was a row of houses occupied by the US navy families. We walked past them every day, and admired the big American cars.

One day, we noticed these round metal things on stands outside every house. We asked Uncle Robert - the cool uncle whew knew everything - what they were.
"Those are satellite dishes", he said confidently. "It's so that the American families can get American TV. It also means that they can make phone calls home, and the navy can contact them at any time of the day or night if there was to be a war. They point at a satellite which sits over the Atlantic".

And we believed him.

He was talking complete rubbish, of course, but to be fair none of us had ever seen a barbecue before....

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Not my dialogue, but a friend.

She was at a petrol station, car drew up at pump beside her, driven by a nun.

Nun could not work the pump, or the payment thing. Friend offered to show her how.

“Is it petrol or diesel?”

“Oh, whatever’s cheapest…”

My aunt, now in her 80s, was telling me the other day. She only once tried to put petrol in her car herself. When she went into the shop to pay the cashier was killing herself laughing. She'd only put 83p worth of fuel in. It would be a lot cheaper then but i don't suppose it was as much as half a gallon she'd put in.

After that she left it for someone else to do.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Agreed. I once convinced my Mam that if her dinner was too hot, she could put it in the microwave on defrost.

A number of days passed, before I received the inevitable clip around the ear.

That reminds me of the old gag of someone coming across a thermos flask for the first time. "It's amazing. It keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold". "What do you have in it at the moment?". "Some coffee and an ice cream"

Top Bottom