Giving way to peds when turning into a side road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Rhythm Thief said:
No, it's true. Pedestrians have right of way over traffic turning onto the side road that the ped is trying to cross.

Ok, sorry, I was wrong. I find it surprising though.

There was a woman killed in Airdrie, maybe about ten years ago, when she was waved across the road at a roundabout and hit by a truck. She thought it was safe to cross because she'd been waved over, truck driver didn't expect her to move. Do you know who would have right of way in a situation like that? If I remember correctly, the truck driver was not blamed for the accident.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Mr Pig said:
Ok, sorry, I was wrong. I find it surprising though.

There was a woman killed in Airdrie, maybe about ten years ago, when she was waved across the road at a roundabout and hit by a truck. She thought it was safe to cross because she'd been waved over, truck driver didn't expect her to move. Do you know who would have right of way in a situation like that? If I remember correctly, the truck driver was not blamed for the accident.

Depends on the markings. Strictly speaking similar caution should be shown on roundabouts. In reality roundabouts are probably even worse than main road-side roads for this. On a roundabout it is even more clear cut as you maybe breaking a double priority. I doubt too many drivers would see it that way though and frequently used to cross a busy roundabout in York where motorists ignored ped right of way and broke multiple rules in the highway code. One day I reckon someone will be killed at that junction. We take your point Mr Pig about the caution but it's quite refreshing to see people like Messenjah's attitude. I frequently cross a t junction where I have right of way and have been waved across by others. It is perhaps dangerous but that's only so because of the stupid numptiess coming in the other direction. If I was knocked down I reckon I'd get blamed even if I had right of way and the other person was driving fast and had indicated very late (happens).

dodgy

I've seen motorists beeping pedestrians who dare to slow motorists down by crossing side roads when they're about to turn into them. Most motorists don't have the slightest idea that other road users have right of way on these side roads if they are already crossing.

OP
OP
MessenJah

MessenJah

Rider
dodgy said:
I've seen motorists beeping pedestrians who dare to slow motorists down by crossing side roads when they're about to turn into them. Most motorists don't have the slightest idea that other road users have right of way on these side roads if they are already crossing.
Me too, I see it every day, it really pisses me off.

I'll be honest, sometimes I will go before them if I see someone about to cross, as long as they're not already in the road and they are facing me (therefore they can see me coming), but generally wait until I can pass behind them. I'd rather not cross people's path for obvious reasons.

However, I did try to pass behind someone who crossed the road in front of me without looking once, there was plenty of space behind her so I thought I'd just avoid her rather than slow down, but then she suddenly turned back on herself without looking, as if she wasn't even in a road. BANG! Ambulance time! So now I just slow right down and wait til they're well out of the way.

Graham O

Highway Code Rule 170

Take extra care at junctions. You should watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way.

dodgy

Flying_Monkey said:
Good article here, which explains why so many people have become convinced that motorists (an cyclists) don't have to stop for pedestrians...

There needs to be more exposure for this particular rule (great article by the way). If even experienced road users like Mr Pig are convinced motorists have right of way, there is work to be done.

NickM

Veteran
Flying_Monkey said:

Excellent article. The experience of some northern European countries shows that the uncaring attitude of motorists towards more vulnerable road users can be reversed. In Britain, though, so many motorists perceive their vehicles as conferring "status" (usually quite absent in their non-vehicular life) that the will to do so seems unlikely ever to come about.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Lots of us have argued for quite a while that there should be a clear 'hierarchy of responsibility' enshrined in law, which gives more rights according to vulnerability and more responsibility according to the power to harm. Morally of course, there has always been a duty of care, but it is only partially recognised in current British Law. In most of continental Europe it is better, but still far from perfect.

NickM

Veteran
A law like that in the Netherlands, assuming the less vulnerable party in a collision to be responsible unless proven otherwise, would be a very good start... but I can't see us ever getting it - unless, perhaps, the EU insists that we must?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
How long since you saw this sign ?

The Highway Code does acknowledge its' existance

200477404_113211e987.jpg

GrahamG

Guru
Mr Cellophane - I can't read that for toffee, can you tell us what it says?

(This is when I find out that despite being a transport planner with reasonable knowledge of traffic sign, lines and general directions, I've never seen the sign in question ;))

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
dodgy said:
There needs to be more exposure for this particular rule (great article by the way). If even experienced road users like Mr Pig are convinced motorists have right of way, there is work to be done.

I agree it's an excellent article but I'm inclined to agree with FM that there needs to be a change in the law and emphasis. To me reading the HC it is very clear that taking into account road markings and other things how things lie but road marking discipline to me seems to be one of the laxest aspects of motoring. Very little seems to change this so things need beefing up from another perspective. It's all a very far cry from when my old landlord had an accident as a teenager and was marched up the road and the police officer pointed and said "Do you see that white line, it means don't cross it unless it's safe". I also met someone who moved to america and didn't give way to a pedestrian, the pedestrian reported it and his arse was hauled off to driving school for re-education.

jasper

I can't read it but it should say the hours of when the street is closed to traffic as it's a play street.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Q: When is a cyclist NOT a cyclist?
A: When s/he turns into a side road

(turns into, geddit?.... takes coat and sidles off, stage left....) ;)

Top Bottom