Gliding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

I used to, the flying bit is great, the standing around all day in a field waiting your turn with a bunch of old farts who just want to talk about tractors, not so.

Trial flights aren't expensive, give it a go.

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
Go for a trial flight, brilliant fun. My local arranged a group to go at my local airfield and the boring bits alluded to were made a bit easier when awaiting your turn by the nervous banter amongst those waiting and the adrenaline filled tales of those who had had their turn. Just hope you don't get the show off pilot that wants to demonstrate the full loop the loop capability of his craft. xx(

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you can't afford the full size or you get vertigo try this:

image.jpg

Great fun and is actually rather more difficult to learn. This pic was taken at Ivinghoe Beacon. Gives you a great day out and you can watch the full size going over. Plus you fly any thing you like from a Spitfire to an Airbus A380. Only rule is no working engines, even electric.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I like the idea of gliding but the idea of only having one shot at landing where you need to without having the failsafe of being able to go round again to have another go if you don't get it right the first time...

I've done it since I was 14. Now have 1,100 hours and am an instructor. It is cracking fun - yesterday I flew from Stroud to Newbury then Northhampton and back to Stroud using nothing but thermals.. Learning involves a fair amount of hanging around but once you get a share in your own glider it gets very good. If you let me know where you live I can tell you where your nearest club is.

pplpilot

Guru
I think mine is over in Kinross in Fife or sommat.

I'd LOVE to do it, but I was told that it can be expensive if you do it seriously

Naaaa, put an engine on it then you start to get expensive then when you get bored of one engine you do a rating for two, then you get bored of flying in daylight so you do a rating for night, bored with that flying on instruments in zero visibility opens up new opportunities to go further faster only then can you say flying is expensive. I have the scars.

Yes, power flying is eye-wateringly expensive compared to gliding. I'm told by those that have done both, that gliding involves similar costs to golf. Para and Hang-gliding are cheaper ways of getting airborne, if you don't mind entrusting your life to glorified bin bag.

TVC

No, thats: light aircraft flying, scuba diving, motor racing, photography, radio ham, horse riding, yachting, dinghy sailing, power boating, motorbiking, cycling etc etc
Hang on, Scuba isn't expensive once you've bought your kit.
To build on my slightly flippant remark earlier about tractors, as Creamcrackered said, when you are learning you only have access to club aircraft and have to wait your turn. I flew at Husbands Bosworth where as a student you were expected to turn up first thing and help get the aircraft out then hang around to pack up at the end of tbe day which meant I could be on the field for up to 10 hours for just half an hour of flying. I really couldn't hack making small talk with strangers all day so had to pack it in.
I took up diving and found I was getting so much more out of my investment.

F70100

Who, me ?
Was being slightly flippant ^_^. But the general point is that even hobbies (like cycling for example) that can be inexpensive (once you've bought your kit...) somehow never seem to be......

Anyway, gliding. I did a trial flight about 5 years ago at the Long Mynd. Aero tow, bit of aerobatics. I really enjoyed it and its on the list of things to follow up when I retire. As has been said, it appears to be very time consuming, something that's in short supply at the mo.

Reactions: TVC
Top Bottom